A good landlord book?

Can anyone recommend a good Australian landlord book so I know my rights as a landlord when tenants don't pay on time?

I have a property manager but my tenants are 2.5 weeks in arrears and she only told me today! Plus she said they won't talk to her or reply to her letters or phone calls so she's put them on TICKER(sp?) and going to take them to the Tribunal. She said she can't evict them because they're leaving on 26th but I don't understand why she couldn't evict them before then.

Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Jenny,

I think(and this is only from memory), that while your Agent should have been chasing the tenant after a couple of days, you can only begin eviction proceedings once they are at least two weeks late in the rent payments.

:)

Reply: 2

Hi Jenny, I have a great book called:

Managing Rental Property
Author: Phillipa Bellemore
Produced in Conjunction with the Dept of Fair Trading
Redfern Legal Centre Publishing
Approx $28.00

I think it is one of the best books around for landlords whether you manage the property yourself or not. It has everything from quotes from various acts based on scenarios, to examples of letters and forms that are used for the management of rental property. (Eg) Lease agreements etc etc

Regards

John Poulos
RESI Home Loans Rep
0412 588986

Reply: 2.1

Thanks for your replies, I'll get that book!

Jenny

Reply: 2.1.1

Check out your state Property Owners Association. The QLD one has an excellent book on the topic and I'm sure they will also give you guidance as to your next best move. Well worth joining I might add.

Reply: 3

> From: "Jenny Nowakowski" <[email protected]>

> I have a property manager but my tenants are 2.5 weeks in arrears and
she
> only told me today! Plus she said they won't talk to her or reply to
her
> letters or phone calls so she's put them on TICKER(sp?) and going to
take
> them to the Tribunal. She said she can't evict them because they're
> leaving on 26th but I don't understand why she couldn't evict them
before
> then.

Getting the book's a great idea, but then you need to train up your
property manager. Decide how you want to be treated (called once
tenants are a week late, get letters sent out or whatever) and tell your
property manager.
Give her a system to work from, and then you have something to correct
her with. At the moment it sounds nobody know what's going on. I think
its easier to give direction to your current manager than find a new one
:)

Jas

Reply: 3.1

Another good book for starters is S.Bilosh's The Australian Landlord's Handbook. Good luck!
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 3.1.1

I've just finished the process of evicting a tenant for not paying rent. It's taken significant frustration, time and money. We did it through an agent - I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself unless you know what you're doing.

The process took about 5 weeks from application to eviction. We won't recover outstanding money from the tenant, but after we get the bond claim and insurance, we'll probably be close to even.

Don't hesitate to initiate an eviction. You don't have to serve an eviction notice if the tribunal grants it, and they can have an expiry date. This means that even if they do start paying, you can make it clear that if the rent is not on time in the future, the notice will be served and they'll be on the street.

Our house has been cleaned up and is back on the market. If your tenant is not meeting their commitments, get rid of them. Procrastinating and extending deadlines will only cost you more money and stress.

PT_Bear

Back