A Million Dollar Median For Melbourne!

Whilst the west has been spending, the East has been saving.
Put that equation over a long enough time frame and their is a lot of money available to invest.

may seem like that when you come from a low base and it is concentrated in the hands of a few, however the symbiotic relationship ensures that the likes of apple make more from an iphone sale than the guy that throws it together in china. until the 'east' can pull its weight in this regard it remains playing second fiddle in the equation

Even in the 80's gd,older folk had no problem finding a job compared to today.

Cheers Spades.

Now, were you around in the 80's? Just checking!

All I know is that unemployment was higher in the 80's and 90's than it is now. At some times it hit 10%. Funnily enough, it's only been since mid 70's since unemployment was lower than recent years, and that was when Gough introduced the dole.

So I find it difficult to believe that older folk had no problem finding a job in the 80's?

I do remember the 10% unemployment times in the 80's, and I remember it seemingly getting worse and worse. The old economy jobs in farming and manufacturing were being made redundant and no one could quite figure out what was gunna replace them. It seemed at the time that the unemployment rate was inevitably going to go to 20%?

See ya's.

Hiya topcropper,

Yes i was around in the 80's though a teenage grasshopper :p

I had no problem finding work and my father was in his 50's had no problem finding work either.

Plenty of work in factories,laboring,building sector etc.

I had nfi at the time re:10% employment figures,i can only go by what was on the ground.

Cheers Spades.

Again i can only go by what's on the ground ie:in the real world.

I take these figures with a grain of salt.

Enjoy your day.

Cheers Spades.

last year i had 2 places in pt cook which cost mid to high 300Ks each for total land and build. Sold them off for mid 400Ks and now there are being sold in the 500Ks.

the west may not necessarily be bad - there are a lot of ethnic migrants moving into that area.

+1.

Unemployment is on the rise and jobs are being outsourced overseas,softening in the rental market etc is a useful barometer.

I remember walking off the streets in the 80's and getting a job,no problem.

Try doing that today :rolleyes:

Cheers Spades.

Ps.Wait for alot more mortgage auctions as people lose employment and
rates rise.

if the economy was so good, then retail wouldnt be stuffed as it is.

retail is stuffed, in terms of the investment clock, its about 630pm

Now, were you around in the 80's? Just checking!

All I know is that unemployment was higher in the 80's and 90's than it is now. At some times it hit 10%. Funnily enough, it's only been since mid 70's since unemployment was lower than recent years, and that was when Gough introduced the dole.

So I find it difficult to believe that older folk had no problem finding a job in the 80's?

I do remember the 10% unemployment times in the 80's, and I remember it seemingly getting worse and worse. The old economy jobs in farming and manufacturing were being made redundant and no one could quite figure out what was gunna replace them. It seemed at the time that the unemployment rate was inevitably going to go to 20%?

See ya's.
The difference now -

Back then, many jobs were full-time.

Many places are now changing their employee employment status from full-time to part time and casual in an attempt to cut costs.., less sick/personal leave, holiday pay, leave loading, long service leave, redundancy pay-outs etc.

They are all freebies from a Halcyon Days era, that no-one can afford any longer.

But, the Gubbmint is still noting these semi-employed positions as employment.

China rabbits on about how the restaurants are full. He is correct to a degree; but he only lives and moves in a very small area of elite folks, so he is out of touch..

A lot of folks who might be employed elsewhere are in those restaurants as casuals and part-timers on low wages these days.

Back