A plan

Hi,
I have a plan and I want some of you guys to give me your point of view of things and or the risks involved. Long time ago I had a few threads going for those who will remember will have a better understanding. I will try and make this as short but informative as possible as it is kind of a long story.
I’m 22 years of age. I built my first home when I was 19 years of age with no support and a very little income of only 750 per week but ever since 2011 it’s been $920 p/w. I initially got the house for my mother as my parents are divorced thinking to myself that I’m doing a good job. I never had a father figure in my life so I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into. Well till now I’ve been paying interest only and to be honest I had enough. I don’t have a life. I was that stressed and mind ****ed I quit my job, pulled out 20k from the equity tried to make more income so I decided to trade currency with it. I did very well until I made ONE stupid mistake, emotions took over and I lost it all. My mother had no idea about any of this just up until Friday where I had to choice but to confess everything. My mother and brother (studying) who live with me are under centre link benefits but that’s it. I purchased the home up in the northern suburbs of Victoria, Craigieburn for 355k, loan withdrawal = 320k but now it’s 340k hence the 20k I lost and the repayments are $1900 IO,
I found a place to rent close by that’s only going for $130 p/w. Now the plan is to rent out the house that I’m living in ATM and move to the more convenient property. My next door neighbour who has a single garage 3 bedroom is renting it for $1600 p/m. I have a double garage 4 bedroom so I wouldn’t find the hassle of renting it out for a decent price. All I need to do is to find a decent paying job and find TWO investors who are willing to pay 2k each p/m. Now the property ATM is valued at 430k. According to my calculations the investors will invest in a total of $84k each within a period of 3.5-4 years and mean while my family and I will put in 4k a month. So basically in my off-set account in 3.5-4 years I would have 340k. At this stage the investors have done their bit so have I. I continue to receive rent for the next year. Sell the house, for which I’m assuming will be WELL over 500k, as they have a BIG project going on right behind my house, apparently its meant to be the biggest shopping centre in the northern suburbs. They’ve already started so I’m assuming it should be completed by the end of next year or so.
So let’s just talk minimum and assume I sell it for 550k minus the fees etc…? I really don’t know how much that will all cost but regardless if I have in my hands 500k, investors will receive 125k each. I would want the investors to be young who don’t study BUT work and have enough support from parents. I could imagine a 19 year old to have 125k in his/her pocket at the age of 24 or so. Why I say they must have support from elsewhere such as family is because I don’t want them going through what I went through. They should still be able to go out etc… the younger they start the better. And for what I have left over, I will give 50k to my brother who will just finish uni at that stage as a head start in life, 50k to my mother. And a fresh start for me with whatever is left.
That’s really the ONLY idea I have going atm. Or else I think I’ll never be able to pay this house off so I would have to call the agent tomorrow and sell it. I don’t know, it’s just an idea and I would like to hear anything from you guys which will be MUCH appreciated. Thank you for your time.

First of all TonyY you are to be congratulated for trying to look after your extended family. You have done something that many would never have tried on a low income.

Second, losing $20K in the share market is no big deal. Yes, you probably learnt your lesson.....but it is nothing you can't recover from.

Third, your plan sucks. You won't find "TWO investors who are willing to pay 2k each p/m" on the promise of future CG's.

In my opinion you need to sell and put you and your family in rented accommodation or get a better paying job or both. Long term debt with no prospect of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, year after year is mentally debilitating as you've discovered.

You've done well, but you're exhausted. Take a financial break and regroup to fight another day.

There's no point getting other investors on board. You don't need them nor will you get them as they can make far greater money on their own.

Also, you don't need to sell the house or make P&I payments. Interest only is fine.

What you need to do is rent your house out, live in cheap accom.

Get a depreciation report as you will get good depreciation since its only a couple of years old.

Rent as cheap as you can. Live frugally for a while.

Your brother can get a job. So can your mother.

Then you will have heaps of money which you can use to either:
- Pay down the debt
- Keep getting more debt to buy positive cashflow investment properties (the option I would choose) - don't think about this option yet but read in your spare time - that can be your study :)

No need to freak out as you are in a good position. Better than 99% your age.

Just don't go into the sharemarket for a while.

P.S - when I was 15, 5 years ago - I also lost 20k in the GFC (after making 5k in the first month) - then I took my money out - really learnt how it worked - put it back in and made a lot of money.

Tony - I agree with Prop and I don't think your plan will work. Best to sell out and restart - no point holding onto an investment if you simply can't afford it.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess probably the best thing to do is either sell or rent out as JWR said and move into something much more affordable. If I do sell it is a restart, but I'm thinking am I letting an opportunity slip away?

No point in selling due to CGT and also the fact you have a good house with lots of depreciation available. You can always move back in later.

+1 for not getting investors and re evaluate.

I have never looked into craigeburn area, so can't comment, but you need to assess CG prospects and if set that against any potential cash flow shortfalls, which will be less when the debt is tax deductible.

Nothing wrong with living in rented accom for a bit

Well when I come to a decision of either sell or not ill update you guys. Going to have a word with mother and see what she thinks about all this.

came to a decision of selling the house. family is falling apart. im on my own. my mother wont understand anything. she thinks its easy to work 5 days a week and pay off a mortgage at such a young age. her mentality is just messed up.

As your mother and brother are on centrelink benefits, wouldn't they be entitled to rent assistance if you find a place to rent? The rent assistance will ease your burden to cover the whole amount so you'd have a little bit extra in your pocket. Keep the house and rent it out- the extra cash from not paying all the rent yourself can be a slush fund to cover any rental shortfall/repairs on your own place.

Is it possible to charge rent from your mum & brother the same amount they would get from the centerlink?
It is a 4 bed + 2 Car. Is it possible to rent out the 4th room and a car spot?

You know whats amazing, you guys. I thank you all for the support and ideas. You know its just a misunderstanding with my mother. She will never understand me, so I'm just going to let it be, do what she wants. So we will sell the house and I told her that I dont want a cent from it because I'm still young, I could fight the world on my own. It just hurts her blaming me for everything. I guess its just a turkish mentality she has. The way she was raised, she wants me to be man, sorry but in my understanding being a man isnt paying off a house.

There there Tony. I hope that you are able to work through it. I really hope that you as others have said try find a place to rent. You know your situation better, but kudos to you for doing what you are. I hope this will build character and you are going to come out stronger. Trust me.

Just explain to your mum the differences between scenario A (sell house) and scenario B (keep house and have as IP)

She will come round... its not like she can force you to sell.

Hi, you're to be commended for trying your best.

How about you not telling all the details to your mother especially?

Whether you sell or not, moving the whole family into rented accommodation seems to be the first priority.

And why not revise the "Idon't want the money" bit?

Take what's legally yours. The reason is you seem to be more financially competent than the others in your family. You might do better with the proceeds than any of them.

Wish you well and good luck on your endeavours.

KY

Well I had another chat with my mum, she wants to keep the house. I just really dont know if thats the best thing, because then im going to have to go through what i already went through and it was REALLY hard. Tonight I'm just going to think about everything and think what will be the best thing to do. I dont care about a house or anything, as long as my mind is straight and healthy. Since i was 19 i really actually lost my mind, im not who i used to be, really really stressed, angry, careless... thats how it starts off anyway, you become stressed then angry then selfish. deep down i know who i am, and if i was that person i would of went my own way a VERY long time ago. Thanks for the support once again people. I really appreciate.

Hi Tony
I know it must be hard for you though imagine so many young kids live in difficult households and often have no way out. It's great you found a way and bought a place very young. Sometimes circumstances make one take actions otherwise you would not have taken. Mental health is essential and hope you are able to find a way that helps easen the burden on you. It's hard being in your shoes.

It's a tough job for a 19 year old to look after their family. At 19 / 22 I guess the society has different expectations to what you've done. How many would actually buy a home? Well done. I believe even though in this moment you can't think straight, don't make rushed decisions. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I often look at sacrifices now from a view 20 years down the track - what the sacrifices of today will mean in the future?

Hope you will come through strong.
Best wishes.

Hi Tony,

I agree with the others and think what you've done is great. But I think you also need to look after yourself first. I don't think there's any point in giving 50k to your brother and another 50k to your mum, even though the investor situation is unlikely to happen, when you're struggling yourself. Also, not to be nosy or rude or anything, but aside from the house, are you also expected to pay for bills and other living expenses as well? If so, maybe you need to negotiate something with your family where you pay for the house and they chip in for other things, if they're already not doing so. One idea is to do up a budget where you show your family your weekly income and how much you spend on each expense so they have a better understanding of where the money is going.

Good luck with it. If it seems to difficult to do, renting it out is probably the best bet. You can always move back in when you're in a better position.

Back