A question of liability

I'm trying to clarify when liability passes from one person to the next.

Lets take a residential property for example, which is what my question is based on. Is it black and white of 50 shades of grey!

If a person is injured on your property (as owner) you are potentially liable.

But who that person is and what they are doing on the property can make a difference - I assume.

Scenarios:

1. Good neighbour dropping off some biscuits and trips over branches you have trimmed from a tree and sitting in your front yard - you are liable as owner and home insurance should cover (broad statement).

2. Good neighbour dropping off some biscuits and trips over branches John Smith the gardener (operating a business) has trimmed from a tree and sitting in your front yard - I assume John Smith would be liable as he is operating a business and should have insurance.

Now it gets a bit murky:

3. Good neighbour dropping off some biscuits and trips over branches Paddy O'Toole has trimmed from a tree and sitting in your front yard - you got him off Gumtree for $25 /h (either you advertised for someone or answered his add wanting work .....not sure if it makes any difference). Paddy does odd jobs like many for some extra cash but is not operating a business, but does it on a semi regular basis - lets say a one off for you.
(a) Who is liable for injury to neighbour.
(b) What if Paddy himself is injured - falls out of the tree.

4. Good neighbour dropping off some biscuits and trips over branches Nathan Cashington has trimmed from a tree and sitting in your front yard - you have entered into JV with him to tidy up your property and do some "minor" painting and repairs in return for a share of the increase in value at sale time. Nathan has done this sort of thing a few times but is not operating a business as such. He does not get paid for work done, only a portion of the sale price and reimbursement of expenses etc as agreed.
(a) Who is liable for injury to neighbour. This is where it might get really muddy! If Nathan is not charging for work done in the normal way, would he be considered just helping the owner and therefore owner is liable as owner of the property.
(b) If liability balances "helping the owner," would it make any difference whether Nathan was doing all the work or just some of the work. If owners direct and physical involvement was required to satisfy definition of Nathan just helping, could this be satisfied by owner trimming a couple of branches, applying a few strokes of paint, hammering in a few nails etc ...even if a 1/99 split of work.

What say the jury!

Firstly, your good neighbour needs to watch where he's going.

I would have thought someone would need to be injured first and incur a cost to make well?

Also, are the branches on your property or on the verge?

Either way, I think someone is gonna get sued, and most times all.

There's really no easy answer for any of those scenarios.

Even the first one isn't clear cut. This sort of personal injury/negligence matter turns more the nature of the "thing" causing the injury. If it is was a pile of tree trimmings, the first question to ask is "why didn't the injured person avoid tripping on them?"

The rule of thumb I was taught was that there generally needs to be a "hidden danger" in the scenario of a person injured and trying to claim.

My greatest concerns are scenario 3 and 4. I sometimes do gardening for other people, I am also considering doing J.V.s as per example. Let's assume negligence has been determined and the neighbour was not considered to have contributed ....and change the tree trimmings to anything that could cause neighbour to injure themselves that is a result of the other persons activity as per examples.

My greatest concerns are scenario 3 and 4. I sometimes do gardening for other people, I am also considering doing J.V.s as per example. Let's assume negligence has been determined and the neighbour was not considered to have contributed ....and change the tree trimmings to anything that could cause neighbour to injure themselves that is a result of the other persons activity as per examples.

It is a technical area.

You also have vicarious liability, for example where an employer is liable for an employees negligence. There has been court cases that have spent days arguing over whether someone is truly an independent contractor or an employee and therefore their employer was vicariously liable.

D

Well that clears everything up. I know exactly where I stand and what to do about it.....not!

How does one find out what their liability may be in such situations ....or is that the million dollar question. How do you cover their backside.

I think life was easier when young and naive, nothing held you back. As you get older you get wiser and more cautious.

Well that clears everything up. I know exactly where I stand and what to do about it.....not!

How does one find out what their liability may be in such situations ....or is that the million dollar question. How do you cover their backside.

I think life was easier when young and naive, nothing held you back. As you get older you get wiser and more cautious.

Yeah I know

You have to assess each situation differently. What would a reasonable person have done in that situation? Are there Australian Standards and were they breached. Was there someone who owed a duty of care to another person. What was the duty.

As I said very technical and can and often does come down to proportional liability, as in this person was this % liable.

You could google the law of torts and see if there is any reading material on it, but it is still way technical so.....

I think it is easier to stay in bed - alone, as sharing may lead to who knows what. :D :eek:

You could take out insurance - but for what? Anything and everything. I did a little handyman work for a while and inquired about insurance - all the policies I looked at were a far king joke. So many exclusions - it was like buying a piece of cheese and getting Swiss cheese!! (buying per size, not kg ;))It was hard to speak to underwriters to get a straight answers but I did get through to one who explained what "the intention" was. Fair enough, the intention was not to weasel out, but if it comes to court I like to be able to rely on the written word in the policy wording, not what Joe Blo told me in the U/W department over the phone.

If they are that way inclined, the "Umbrella" theory will be enacted.

They will go anyone and everyone that is vaguely connected - especially those that have money.

Back