A Quick Bathroom Reno

We had finally had enough of our old bathroom with peach flower fake tiles, peach coloured vanity, peach coloured taps, peach coloured shower stall with peach coloured frames and smoked glass.
I bought a new steel bath on ebay for $30
I bought a full set of taps, bath, shower and vanity + showerheads and spouts for $50 and last weekend ripped the shower out and started to pull off the fake tiles to find this horror story underneath.

p1000259w.jpg

p1000305copy.jpg

By Sunday we had framed in and plumbed the bath, sheeted the walls and replaced the taps so it looked like this

p1000292copy.jpg

p1000294copy.jpg

This weekend we got rid of the vanity

p1000301u.jpg

and sheeted the rest of the walls, changed the power and lightpoints and installed and plumbed in the vanity, tidying up the plumbing mess that was there originally.
This afternoon it looked like this.

p1000308o.jpg

Now all we have to do it paint the peach window frames, peach door frames , peach cornices and peach mirror frame a pale green/blue (Island Sea) and repaint the ceiling mould fee white and re do the floor.

http://m.dulux.com.au/colour/hue/Greens/251848/island-sea

wow ... good stuff! when you said, "we", how many people did the job?

cheers!

Mostly me with my wife helping to throw out the sheets as they came off and giving me a hand to bring the new ones in plus keeping me fed and lubricated. Cost so far just under $700

Looks fantastic! What a difference a day makes (well... coupla' days :p).

What is the wall sheeting? It looks pretty good in the photos.

Looks fantastic! What a difference a day makes (well... coupla' days :p).

What is the wall sheeting? It looks pretty good in the photos.

Thanks, Sheet is 3mm white plexiglass with a 30 year warranty against yellowing, costs about $80 a sheet (1220 x 2400) delivered.

How do you install it? Is it glued all over the back to the studs, or is there a need to install something between it and the studs? What is at the corners and bottom edge where it meets the bath? Same as tiling?

I wonder how it will wear with tenants maybe being rougher with their cleaning (or not cleaning at all :eek:). Most people are naked whilst showering so no sharp corners on a naked body, but cleaning it could scratch it if somebody decides to use an abrasive cleaner or a scourer. I suppose each new tenant you could make sure they understand what they cannot use on it.

But I really like the idea of it. No dirty grout lines, clean, fresh looking and sleek.

How do you install it? Is it glued all over the back to the studs, or is there a need to install something between it and the studs?
You can see in one of the pictures we went straight over the top of what was underneath, broken fibro with holes.
Stick up with construction adhesive ($1.95/tube x 6)
p1000292copy.jpg

What is at the corners and bottom edge where it meets the bath? Same as tiling?
White silicone and a wet finger to get it smooth

I wonder how it will wear with tenants maybe being rougher with their cleaning (or not cleaning at all :eek:). Most people are naked whilst showering so no sharp corners on a naked body, but cleaning it could scratch it if somebody decides to use an abrasive cleaner or a scourer. I suppose each new tenant you could make sure they understand what they cannot use on it.
It appears to be tough, it didnt scratch when scraping cured excess adhesive off with a chisel. Recommended cleaning is simply a wipe with a soapy sponge.

But I really like the idea of it. No dirty grout lines, clean, fresh looking and sleek.
Thats what we thought, should be easier for tenants to maintain without all that grout.

Mostly me with my wife helping to throw out the sheets as they came off and giving me a hand to bring the new ones in plus keeping me fed and lubricated. Cost so far just under $700
Just looking at the wall panels that you have replaced,i sure hope you were wearing a high end mask because that looks like the blue death..

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious about the window on the wall of the shower?

How do you stop that getting wet and causing issues down the track?

Just looking at the wall panels that you have replaced,i sure hope you were wearing a high end mask because that looks like the blue death..
Hi, The stuff we replaced was the brown masonite type material with the fake tile pattern.(right side)

p1000301u.jpg

The stuff behind it "looked" like fibro, but without the golfball pattern on the back and we did not remove that.
You can see it seems to have had large chunks pulled out of the face, but that was done previously, all that was coming off for us was lines of liquid nails with some paint.

Thanks for the replies. I'm curious about the window on the wall of the shower?

How do you stop that getting wet and causing issues down the track?
You dont, but the shower that was there before was 30% over the window as well.
After painting I am thinking of putting a strip of white plexiglass on the flat and down the front, all neatly siliconed in.

I like it too- really clean looking.

A few questions- Where are the sheets from? Can you cut the sheets and how? Did you install them on top of the bath or does it go right behind? Do they go up to the ceiling? And it doesn't look like you have bothered to waterproof the bathroom- is it really sufficient just to rely on the sheeting & silicone?

Thanks!

I like it too- really clean looking.

A few questions- Where are the sheets from?
Plastic suppliers, I used foremost plastics

Can you cut the sheets and how?
Used a jigsaw with confidence.
There are proper blades but I used small toothed metal cutting blades at a 1/4 of the price.
Be careful, it is brittle and does want to chip if cutting at slow speeds, especially around cutouts. I drilled a small hole in cutout corners to relieve stresses.

Did you install them on top of the bath or does it go right behind?
some parts went fully behind, some did not and ended an inch past the edge, bath for example
Do they go up to the ceiling?
They went up to the cornice
And it doesn't look like you have bothered to waterproof the bathroom- is it really sufficient just to rely on the sheeting & silicone?
What was there before was papery masonite sort of fake tile product with a shiny face with a poor silicone job.
Once the face was scratched the product broke down/rotted.
This product is infinitely more water proof than that and the silicone job is far superior in comparison.
I doubt there will be any issues.

Wow, the plexiglass looks spectacular. This is the kind of thing I think I could persuade my other half to try - we've avoided tiling, but he would be able to cut the plexiglass without too much stress/hassle, and you make it sound so straightforward.

What are your plans for the floor?

Back