A Real Estate Agency supporting Self Managers

I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of real estate agencies who assist self managers through the whole process (start to finish) of managing an IP from advertising, letting and ongoing management, or any tools/software out there.

I want to be open and disclose that I have just introduced a service like this, but am keen to see if people have had any experiences with, or are aware of other similar services.

How do you view the full fees? It says to view them, but there don't seem to be any links to actually get to it.

Oh, and what's the management portal that you have? What does it tell me once I log in?

I'm interested to know if anyone is aware of real estate agencies who assist self managers through the whole process (start to finish) of managing an IP from advertising, letting and ongoing management, or any tools/software out there.

I want to be open and disclose that I have just introduced a service like this, but am keen to see if people have had any experiences with, or are aware of other similar services.

I've hard of people using a PM / REA to advertise for them / find tenants sort of thing, then the landlord self manages.

I just wonder what you would actually do / offer if not fully managing the property ?

But it has made me curious anyway top find out what your offer is

How do you view the full fees? It says to view them, but there don't seem to be any links to actually get to it.

Oh, and what's the management portal that you have? What does it tell me once I log in?

Hi Luckyone, sorry we are adding a link to the homepage for the fees. Try http://distinctpm.com.au/node/1389 (which is from the 'Policies' link at the bottom of the home page) - the fees and services are outlined there. Still making some finishing touches and improvements to the site. I'll be putting up a 'tour' function on the site in the next few days so you can see what is in the owners portal. It's effectively what a property manager would see/use in a Real Estate Agency and gives a 'status at a glance' view of the property and also includes lease creation/management, maintenance, finance reporting, rent management, correspondence with the tenants etc etc

We use the system to provide full management services to our clients and thought it would be good to open it up to self managers as well.

I've hard of people using a PM / REA to advertise for them / find tenants sort of thing, then the landlord self manages.

I just wonder what you would actually do / offer if not fully managing the property ?

But it has made me curious anyway top find out what your offer is

Hi jaycee, I don't want to turn this into a sales pitch - started typing and then thought better of it. I'll private message you the details.

cheers

That sounds like it could get very expensive very quickly. It would only take having to have open houses for a couple of weeks (twice a week) to lose all of the benefit of the lower management fees for the year. Personally I wouldn't go for this model. A couple of repairs and you'd be hugely out of pocket.

Good concept. However I feel the prices are far too high to have much benefit.

Especially since you can't use advertising, unless you'e paid a further $180 on top of the $54 p/m.

Yes, it is about half the price of normal management (on a per month basis, depending on how much commission the agent gets/price of property) but once you want a few small things the price skyrockets.

Basically looking at $830 minimum for the first year, from what I can see - without advertising advantages.

Ooops!

Hi All, this thread has started to 'smell like me advertising my product - clearly I don't want it to come across that way as I know this forum isn't for that purpose so I am deleting my responses and will private message responses instead if the response is about the services I am offering.

I am still keen to hear about any other similar services for Self Managers that anyone is aware of, and if people think this type of service would be useful - I've come across forsaleforlease.com.au and easyprop.com.au but they are the only ones I can see.

Thanks for the feedback - the concept of self management is more around the more you do yourself the less you pay. So if you look after open houses or maintenance issues then you don't pay any fees for these - BUT if you aren't able to then the option is there to get the RE or PM to do it (at a price).

Quick clarification, you don't need to pay the $180 in order to advertise. The $54p/m allows you to advertise.

Okay. I've just double checked, no you don't need to pay $180 but there appear to be separate charges applicable for advertising.

Please clarify? As it currently seems $650 p/a is the minimum charge, without many more benefits than just using what is available to all private landlords through the government bodies.

Lil Skater, you make a great point - why pay for what you can get for free. I think it comes down to the convenience of having everything in one spot, thoroughly explained and with support there when you need it. I've managed my own IP's (I had three) before getting into the RE business and while most of the time it's pretty straight forward it doesn't take much for it to get VERY complicated very quickly (as commonly seen on this forum). If you are doing DIY there weren't a lot of options for professional help on call (at least that was my experience). While the freely available bits are included things like rent management, ability to advertise on REA websites, online maintenance mgmt, financial mgmt & reporting, tenant ref checking (with online applications) will hopefully add value. Like any new product some will see great value and some won't, I guess it all comes down to personal ability, time, resources and cost. If not we'd all be servicing our own cars, recruitment agencies would not exist (maybe a good thing :)) etc. I appreciate your feedback and questions - definitely making me think about how/where this type of service will work.

Oh, being a PM as well I understand how complex things can get, which is why I think it really is a great system.

Obviously with a little more tweaking, I'm sure it can be marketed as a need rather than a convenience service.

Are you able to advertise on REA for WA clients? None of the existing online services are allowed to do this because they have to be registered in the state they want to advertise in. I would say this is the single biggest hurdle for private landlords, advertising where the majority of the market are looking.

Back