A really sad video

It shows how important money is. I wonder how much it would have cost to save this young mum's life.

Probably no amount in the world - money wasn't the issue (the news article states she got her surgery). I am guessing that there was a complication in the surgery/post-op that lead to her death.

I too live with a (different) heart condition - unfortunately there is no current way to reliably fix it. One way involves opening the heart up and cutting a few nerves in it.

The op in itself while not "cheap" is not outrageously expensive - but whether 1. the condition can be treated with this method 2. you make it out the other side after the op, is a much bigger question than about the money.

The Y-man

Agree, it doesn't sound like money was the issue, because she eventually had the sugery to put the dislodged probe back in it's appropriate place.

There are no other wires on a pacemaker, so this has to be it.

This can happen occasionally before scar tissue forms which is what helps keep it in place.

So for her to die, there is probably more to this story - she died of an unexpected 'other' condition, or there was a complication occur.

Edit: pacemakers do not require open heart surgery or a large incision. Putting back this 'wire' would have been a fairly minor procedure compared to all other heart operations.

This is a terribly sad story.

Why do I worry so much about money?

Health is riches, not these material things I hold.

Why cant the whole world just throw all their money down the drain and do everything for free. It would be utopia. No more crime or war. No more pollution. Fresh air and clean water. A free loving society.

I'm off to the pub to think about this one.

I thought that maybe her condition got worse in the time it took for her to get the surgery and that could be why she died following the surgery.

If she didn't have to wait to get the dental work done first, maybe she could have had the surgery sooner and been in better health at the time?

It sucks either way. Poor kids :(

I thought that maybe her condition got worse in the time it took for her to get the surgery and that could be why she died following the surgery.

If she didn't have to wait to get the dental work done first, maybe she could have had the surgery sooner and been in better health at the time?

It sucks either way. Poor kids :(

Maybe if there was a decent public health system in the US and your worth to society wasn't determined by whether you could afford insurance or not she wouldn't be dead right now.

A very complicated story.

She had a disease called HOCM - Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy - and was a 30 year old woman with two small children - Mikayla (33 months) and Malykai (18 months). Her only wish was for her heart to be strong enough to see her babies grow up. After this surgery, she would have a new live.

Her surgery took place at HealthPark Medical Center Friday, Dec. 14th by a team of talented doctors and surgeons, but she had complications. She underwent two additional surgeries over the next two days and in the end her heart never recovered.

We took her off life support Monday (Dec. 17th) at 10:10pm and she went home to the care of God at 10:17pm with her Mom and me holding her and her guardian angel, Auntie "Ei", outside her door.

Whether the delay in getting her treatment contributed to the complications we won't know.

What I have experienced in Australia however is very fast efficient system for heart problems - whether public or private.

I think her personal lack of money had a lot to do with her demise. Why else would she be making a video to raise funds and give the viewers links to various websites to donate money for her to have some dental treatment. From her video, I don't know how much she was planning to raise. I would hate to think that it was some paltry sum such as 10,000 dollars. This would mean that her life and health was worth less than 10k. I guess life, like any other commodity or resource on this planet, has a fixed, quantifiable monetary value but I would like to think that this value would at least be far higher than whatever sum this poor mum was trying to raise.

I would hate to think that it was some paltry sum such as 10,000 dollars. This would mean that her life and health was worth less than 10k. I guess life, like any other commodity or resource on this planet, has a fixed, quantifiable monetary value but I would like to think that this value would at least be far higher than whatever sum this poor mum was trying to raise.

Dear China
$10,000 is not a paltry sum.
No, her life is not worth an amount of $$$.

Where do you get these ideas from?

I think her personal lack of money had a lot to do with her demise. Why else would she be making a video to raise funds and give the viewers links to various websites to donate money for her to have some dental treatment. From her video, I don't know how much she was planning to raise. I would hate to think that it was some paltry sum such as 10,000 dollars. This would mean that her life and health was worth less than 10k. I guess life, like any other commodity or resource on this planet, has a fixed, quantifiable monetary value but I would like to think that this value would at least be far higher than whatever sum this poor mum was trying to raise.

No, life does not have a monetary value. Life is worth more than money could ever be. It's just sad that there are people that value money more than the life of another. I think the American health care system sucks.

And no, she didn't even need $10K

http://aheartworthsaving.chipin.com/a-heart-worth-saving

She needed $3.5K, she raised less than $500

No, life does not have a monetary value. Life is worth more than money could ever be. It's just sad that there are people that value money more than the life of another. I think the American health care system sucks.

And no, she didn't even need $10K

http://aheartworthsaving.chipin.com/a-heart-worth-saving

She needed $3.5K, she raised less than $500

It is really sad that the entire health system and her social network could not come up with 3.5k for essential dental treatment prior to her open heart surgery. I suspect that this delayed her open heart surgery and must have caused incredible stress on her and her family.

Back