A single mother with six kids?

I opened my house today for inspection and there was a single mum (originally from South Africa ten years ago) came and really liked the property. She applied on the spot and told me she had six kids, and she soley relying on Centre link for income... Money ($485/week) doesn't seem to be a concern to her (does anyone know roughly how much one gets with six kids?)

What would you do? Would you consider renting to her? She kinda kept begging me as if she had hard time finding one.

In any rental application, I'd be asking for proof of income. She should be able to produce a Centrelink statement for you.

If you accept her application I'd recommend making arrangements for the rent to be paid directly to you from Centrelink.

With 6 kids she's got a govt guaranteed income so I'd consider her. Probably getting about $40k gross pa. I'm not racist but is she a white or black South African? It sounds like you're self managing this property? Be careful if you're self managing and sign her up.

With six kids, she's on a high income alright! I know a single mum with three kids renting a property for $500pw with no issues.

BUT, income alone should not decide if she's a good risk.

I would sign up a single mother with kids if they ticked all my boxes in terms of references and income.

6 kids however, I would wonder about wear and tear on my property.

I wouldn't do it.

In any rental application, I'd be asking for proof of income. She should be able to produce a Centrelink statement for you.

If you accept her application I'd recommend making arrangements for the rent to be paid directly to you from Centrelink.

Oh I didn't know you could do that with Centrelink directly paying you? That would be a good thing...if can do. How do I go about doing that?

She did give me like the past two weeks statement from Centrelink, she said she could provide me older statements.

Do you think it's worthwhile to ask for her bank statements?

With 6 kids she's got a govt guaranteed income so I'd consider her. Probably getting about $40k gross pa. I'm not racist but is she a white or black South African? It sounds like you're self managing this property? Be careful if you're self managing and sign her up.

Hm... but $40k a year, I don't think she can afford to rent $485 per week.... Still need other expenses plus to raise those kids..

Erm, she's black African, having hard time to understand her English.

I would treat it as any other application.

Take into account her income as well as previous rental references, etc.

Wow - 6 kids and single. I can barely manage raising two....and that's with my wife doing the bulk of the work :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

Oh I didn't know you could do that with Centrelink directly paying you? That would be a good thing...if can do. How do I go about doing that?

She did give me like the past two weeks statement from Centrelink, she said she could provide me older statements.

Do you think it's worthwhile to ask for her bank statements?

Honestly I don't know how to actually do this, I don't self manage. If you call Centrelink they can probably give you some guidance.

I believe Centrelink statements can be generated online, which is probably what she's given you. There's probably no reason to get older ones.

Keep in mind you need to put into context how much she earns against her living expenses. She earns $1200 a week, her living expenses are $1000 a week and the rent is $485, it's not going to work very well.

did she provide any rental history that you can validate?

good luck. tenant selection is so important, huge potential problems if wrong decisions are made.

I would treat it as any other application.

Take into account her income as well as previous rental references, etc.

Wow - 6 kids and single. I can barely manage raising two....and that's with my wife CREATING the bulk of the work :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Jamie

Well I think I highlighted the problem in your case!:D

Maybe this potential tenant has no problems looking after 6 kids as they don't have a wife to create any extra dramas!

Regards,

alicudi

May I ask where abouts the property is?

If its one in a cheaper area, I'd probably accept them. The reason why is because they'd likely be long term, simply because others wouldn't accept them. Because of this, I'd imagine they'd look after the place OK because they don't want to be in this situation again where they're being discussed on a forum.

If it's a cheaper area, I think the wear and tear wouldn't be too much of an issue, especially if they're there long term as per the above. By time they left, it'd be time to either renovate or demolish anyway :)

May I ask where abouts the property is?

If its one in a cheaper area, I'd probably accept them. The reason why is because they'd likely be long term, simply because others wouldn't accept them. Because of this, I'd imagine they'd look after the place OK because they don't want to be in this situation again where they're being discussed on a forum.

If it's a cheaper area, I think the wear and tear wouldn't be too much of an issue, especially if they're there long term as per the above. By time they left, it'd be time to either renovate or demolish anyway :)

Yep! I've got one of them.

Single mum with four kids (I think, there might be more). Been with me for about 8 years now. The place was in need of a reno when they moved in.

They mucked me around a bit at first with late payments, so every time I had to go to tribunal, their rent got raised. She learnt her lesson now, pays on time, keeps the place kind of OK, but like I said, it needs a reno anyway.

The best part is that she's paying over market rates now due to me putting up the rent when she annoyed me (was hoping she'd move, but she didn't). Eventually we'll move her on & do the reno, but it won't increase the yield, because she's paying top rates now anyway.

They mucked me around a bit at first with late payments, so every time I had to go to tribunal, their rent got raised. She learnt her lesson now, pays on time, keeps the place kind of OK, but like I said, it needs a reno anyway.

wow, I wish I had the guts to do that,

I have rarely evicted a tenant like that because teh leasing fees, advertising, vacancy period say 2-3 weeks, would basically eat up 6 weeks of rent, so I take it up the rear end on pretty much all small things

6 kids however, I would wonder about wear and tear on my property.

Exactly, I have my house in Mount Austin that I rent to a family with three kids, and those little buggers can create quite a bit of damage.

Credit to the mum and dad though, they pay for whatever is damaged by the kids i.e ripping handles of cabinets seems to be on trend right now.

And People worry about pets on applications??? :p

I think I will just pass in for this one, kids are wear and tear destroyers... lol

We have a family like that one just up the road from one of the rentals last time I drove past a few weeks ago the 8 kids were all playing in the front yard one was throwing rocks at the windows,another had a large hammer
banging into the front fibro walls ,that was inbetween one of the kids running in front of my car while trying to hit the dog over the head with a lump of wood,you have done the right thing afterall you will end up with a mess in the end,,

Back