A thought for those doing bathroom and kitchen renos

I've done a few PPOR bathroom and kitchen renos - doing a bathroom painfully slowly now.

Plumbing is often complicated in bathroom/laundrys.

And wiring can be complicated in kitchens.

Before I sheet the walls and hide everything, I photograph the services i.e. plumbing and wiring. I also do a wiring drawing explaining what feeds what, where the live cable comes in, where it goes etc.

It means that if I have a problem, or want to add/change something down the track I can do reasonably easily because I know where everything is and what it does.

It takes five minutes to do it, but can save hours down the track if you know where something is without having to take cupboards down or break into walls.

Scott

... but can save hours down the track if you know where something is without having to take cupboards down or break into walls.
The other thing I do is photo a couple of tape measures held horizontally & vertically against the studs, so I know exactly where everything is.

I hadn't thought of that one, Keith. Good idea.

In the bathroom/laundry I'm doing I'm putting in some access panels that can be lifted off if I need to check the wiring and plumbing, or check for pests and water penetration. They will look like fixed panels.

And this one sounds really odd, but there is a blind spot that will be hard to check. I've mounted a mirror in the studs that will let me see round the blind corner by shining a torch on it. I'll be staying in this PPOR for some time.

Nifty ideas guys. Things like this can make life alot easier for yourself and tradesmen when problems do arise, not to mention saving you money!

Will be doing the photos when I get around to doing a bathroom reno :)

Back