A very expensive light!

Hi guys

I have received an invoice from my agent for my IP(which has already been deducted from the rent) for $160. It is from an electrician for changing the light which was apparently burnt up in the kitchen. They did not ask me for this as they say they called me but could not find me. Could you please advise me based on your experience, if I can do anything for this or just should accept it.

Looking forward for your advice.

Yadeh

I'd say it's $100 or so for the call out, then the further $60 for "labour" and the light bulb.

I wouldn't accept it, it's not an "urgent" repair, so they should've gotten your approval first - Unless it's in your contract that they can carry out non-urgent repairs up to a certain price.

What state is the property located?

....They did not ask me for this as they say they called me but could not find me. Could you please advise me based on your experience, if I can do anything for this or just should accept it.

Have a read of your Property Management Agreement. You may have alredy authorised them to spend anything on repairs under $200 without your approval.

Either way, it is no big deal IMO and the money has been spent. You're not getting it back :cool:

What does your agreement say?

I'd say it's $100 or so for the call out, then the further $60 for "labour" and the light bulb.

I wouldn't accept it, it's not an "urgent" repair, so they should've gotten your approval first - Unless it's in your contract that they can carry out non-urgent repairs up to a certain price.

What state is the property located?

Yes, $80 for the service all and $ 80 for the job.

Have a read of your Property Management Agreement. You may have alredy authorised them to spend anything on repairs under $200 without your approval.

Either way, it is no big deal IMO and the money has been spent. You're not getting it back :cool:

What does your agreement say?

No, it is not in the contract. They said just they could not contact me. As you said the money is spent already and I suppose I should ask them to call me next time.

Service call sounds about right, also changes depending on the time of the call out.

Job is, unfortunately, pricey and to say the least ridiculous.

As it was not in the contract, I believe you have a right to dispute it and should be reimbursed by the agency.

They don't have permission to spend your money, unless you have given them permission. In this case, it was not specified in the contract and as it was not an urgent repair they could've even mailed the thing to you, or tried a couple of times on that day or tried the next day.

It's not a great deal of money, but I wouldn't be very impressed.

However, if the light was sparking, it could be a different story.

Last edited:
Back