A whinge about excess water usage!!!!

I have just received our rates notice for our PPOR. We are very water conscious and just about the only water I have little control over is my 18 year old son who showers downstairs, after we are in bed, so I don't know how long he takes. I know he doesn't stick to four minutes unless I am downstairs and hear him and start banging on the bathroom door to give him the hurry up.

Our daily average consumption for the period is 791 litres. For five of us (mum, dad, 18, 15 and 11 year old) that equates to just under 200 litres per day, so we have to try much harder.

We have just had a water audit and ticked all the boxes. Our shower heads were already low flow, dual flush loos (and we let the yellow mellow) and we have not filled our pool for at least six months. We lose very little to evaporation because we have a shadecloth over the pool and it is tucked away below neighbouring ground levels, so wind is not a problem.

We have not watered anything in the garden for at least five years, apart from putting vege washing water on pots.

So, I am at a loss to why we are (seemingly) using so much. I plan to check the meter early one morning and see if we have a leak because I don't think there is anything more we can do.

Surely one 18 year old cannot be using so much as to nearly tip us over???

I have told him that if we don't get the usage lower, we will disconnect the taps and make him shower upstairs where I can time him, which I am seriously considering.

What peeves me is that our local average is about 450 litres per day, but Coorparoo has more than half its residents (from memory) as singles.

Why doesn't council ascertain how many people live in each house and instead of singling us out because we use 200 litres per person, look at the singles who are using 450 litres per day?

This really makes my blood boil. Our local area average is consistenly (on three rates notices) about one quarter less than the Brisbane average, which probably accounts for the large proportion of singles in units in our local area.

I don't mind paying for our water, but those who live alone or in a couple are getting away with much more wasteful ways, and it is not picked up because they only sent letters to those who used over 800 litres per day last quarter (we were just over, and have been trying really hard to cut down - but only managed 9.7% reduction).

I am simply amazed that we use so much, because I am a real water nazi - just ask my kids.

If council is serious, I reckon they should ascertain how many people live per household, allow 140 litres each, and charge a real premium over this to make people much more accountable.

Anyway, feel better now....

Wylie

They really should take into account the numbr of people living in the house before sending their nasty letters. Things like that make me realise that they are really only after the soft targets and dont want to do the hard tasks that would really impact on water consumption.

Going the other way, Bloss and I use way less than the average usage in our area.

We havent washed the car [she's a dirty girl] or watered the garden in over a year.

Surely we should be able to as we use less than other houshold's.

BB

I have no regard for saving water - for the bill I pay for my small household with zero gardens I will be stuffed if I am going to have a 2 stream 3 minute shower. Sorry greenies... complain to your local MP because the system stinks. Water rates based on rateable values is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. If you want to save over all water useage - charge for the damn stuff!

I do however seem to pick up the tab for a lot of tenants. A nice little trick passign the water responsibility back to the owner. Even where the tenant agrees to pay, what chance have you got of pursuing these guys?!

I have no regard for saving water - for the bill I pay for my small household with zero gardens I will be stuffed if I am going to have a 2 stream 3 minute shower. Sorry greenies... complain to your local MP because the system stinks. Water rates based on rateable values is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. If you want to save over all water useage - charge for the damn stuff!

Holy smokes you're in trouble with this one !! Timmy will be along any minute now.

I do however seem to pick up the tab for a lot of tenants. A nice little trick passing the water responsibility back to the owner. Even where the tenant agrees to pay, what chance have you got of pursuing these guys?!

Holy smokes you'll be in trouble with this one as well !! It's called good business apparently. Just think of the enhanced personal relationship you'll get when you pay the bill for them. wylie and co will be straight onto this.

P.S. I agree with you on both counts. :)

Actually Dazzling, it is not good business, it is LAW.

You just cannot leave it alone, can you? If you cannot stop making cheap shots at we ressy landlords, maybe button it.

Wylie

I do however seem to pick up the tab for a lot of tenants. A nice little trick passign the water responsibility back to the owner. Even where the tenant agrees to pay, what chance have you got of pursuing these guys?!

Take it out of the bond.

BB

I just checked my rates notice, my average daily consumption is 0.19KL, with two people living there plus flatmates gf staying over a few nights a week. I rule!

Mark

I got an idea to ease the pain of that letter.

You know you use less than average. You also know that the letter is a computer generated form letter with very little discrimination on number of occupants per building. You know that local government is full of administrators who would never cope in the private sector.

Here is my idea.

Screw it up and put it in your recycling bin, have a cup of tea and never think of it again.

If you can't change something then don't dwell on it is one of my catchphrases which helps me to lead a happier life.

All the best

Problem with screwing it up is that on the news this week it was reported that you get two warnings about excess water usage (I assume they are talking over 800 litres per day which is when the warning letter is sent with all sorts of suggestions to cut water use) and the next time after that the fine is $1,050 for households and more for business.

I only heard this on the news so don't know the details, but I will be really annoyed if we cop a $1,050 fine for five of us using 800 litres per day when the single person next door could use 799 litres per day and not be picked up by the marvelous system in place right now.

I do know someone in Cornwall who said in the drought in about 1975 the households had the water cut off completely and water had to be carried from the standpipes in the street. That would make some people think about their usage.

We will keep trying to reduce our usage because it is important, AND because I don't want to pay a $1,050 fine but it gets up my nose that singles and couples can use what they like and the system will not pick them up.

Wylie

:)
Problem with screwing it up is that on the news this week it was reported that you get two warnings about excess water usage (I assume they are talking over 800 litres per day which is when the warning letter is sent with all sorts of suggestions to cut water use) and the next time after that the fine is $1,050 for households and more for business.

I only heard this on the news so don't know the details, but I will be really annoyed if we cop a $1,050 fine for five of us using 800 litres per day when the single person next door could use 799 litres per day and not be picked up by the marvelous system in place right now.

Wylie

I bet that five people using 800l won't be fined. Ring you council and check to see the situation.

If it really is that stupid then write to your local member and newspaper to get this stupid policy knocked on the head.

And don't lose sleep over it :)

Remember these rules are for ordinary people not for the likes of you and I. We have the power to get out of things like this :)

Ausprop, here in WA our tennants have, and always will pay for excess water usage. Its written into the lease. After one tenant didnt pay the bill and we copped the interest, we now have the PM pay the account and then the tenant is billed. It works well for us.

A few years ago l did question the water usage allowance for households [WA] and l was told that the usage allowance was set many years ago.
It really does not allow for the apliances of todays house hold.
There would be very very few households who would not have to pay excess water.
But we all have to do our bit.
cheers yadreamin

Hi Simon. I agree that it is a stupid policy and it has been raised in the Brisbane papers when the first letter went out, along the lines of -

single person household uses 799 litres - no warning letter
family of five uses 800 litres - warning letter

I have just emailed my local councillor asking about the fines and about why a single householder can use 799 litres per day and not be flagged and will post the answer (if I get one).

If I don't get an answer I will take it further. Personally, I would be happy if we all were allowed 140 litres per PERSON per day and anything over that the council charges a much higher rate (as long as businesses and industry have to do the hard yards as well).

And I am not really losing sleep over this, I just hate the injustice of being singled out like a criminal when we are trying really hard already. Just the washing a family of five produces compared to a single makes my head spin.

Wylie

Actually Dazzling, it is not good business, it is LAW.

You just cannot leave it alone, can you? If you cannot stop making cheap shots at we ressy landlords, maybe button it.

What a joke !! I didn't realise you were qualified to exclude me from being a ressy Landlord. Better let the tenants know I suppose. :mad:

As yadreamin' has pointed out, what we were discussing and where Ausprop lives, I can assure you it is not LAW !!! Quite the opposite in fact. I suggest you check your very ill informed facts. :mad:

As for "buttoning it", you really must elevate your speech above the 'mother dressing down teenage boys' level when addressing adults. :mad:

A waterpipe inside a wall at my terrace house in Redfern sprang a leak. The tenants didn't think there was anything unusual with a constant gushing noise from inside a wall cavity in the kitchen (is that a water leak or my flatmate toking on another bong) and the managing agent did not think to query the size of the water usage figure. Sydney Water was happy to be selling me excess water so did not pick up what was going on. This went on for about three months until it came to my attention....a bill of about $680/quater for excess water usage.

The water pipes are old in my property. For the first few years I was there no meter was installed and I was charged a standardised fee for water usage. I was tempted to invite a friend with a water truck to fill up for a small fee.

I wonder if Sydney water meters each street and would have picked this up. At the time (pre water usage nazism) I doubt anyone would have noticed (or cared) about a garden hose running from my terrace house across the nature strip and into a water tanker. Actually mentioned the idea to Sydeny water after I'd installed the new water meter...they said they woud have prosecuted me for water theft. Got a quaint ring to it...Yep I'm doing time at Berrimah low security gaol for water theft...what are you in for...smuggling air.

Ajax

Last edited:
What happens in the other states in regards to water charges?

In Melbourne water rates are based partly on property value and partly on water usuage.

In Hobart there is just one gigantic bill that covers council rates, water etc.

In Launceston excess water is charged for separately and we pass this onto our resi tenants.

What is the deal in the rest of Australia?

These water conservation laws are the most pathetic laws on the plannet. In SA there are times of the day when it is OK to water your plants or wash your car and times when it is not OK. Also buckets are favoured over hoses etc... absolutely pathetic!!!

These only pose restrictions on busy people and do not contribute to water saving or even address the larger problem.

If governments were really serious about saving water they would issue a quota for each household based on the number of people and pose heavy fees over and above that quota irrespective on what time of the day you were out watering your lawn or how long you spend in the shower. Honestly who has the time to look at these Ridiculous impositions? I get out of the shower when I'm ready to and have much better things to focus on!

also they would stop growing rice in Australia and buy it from china.

Holy smokes you're in trouble with this one !! Timmy will be along any minute now.
Dazzling, before you criticise, perhaps get some facts in order.

Firstly, I have never commented in this thread (or even in this part of the forum).

And when did I ever mention that I was a hypocritical tree hugging greenie?

The answer is NEVER. I made some comments about the environment, and for some reason you think that makes me the next Al Gore?

As for "buttoning it", you really must elevate your speech above the 'mother dressing down teenage boys' level when addressing adults.
Darryl, Darryl, Darryl.....perhaps take a step back and read your posts carefully. You come across in not always the most desirable manner. And every now and then people get fed up with your "attitude" (did you ever get to read that wonderful thread about your good self a few weeks back?). This is why people react to your posts in such a way.

All we ask is that you tone down the (you're going to be offended by me saying this, but I can't think of a better word) arrogance. We know you're wonderful and everyone else is dirt, that's fine. We've heard it all before, and we're sick of it. (Notice how I say we, because I can assure you it's not just me.)

If governments were really serious about saving water...
Xenia, they're not. Simple as that. What politician would be silly enough to impose strict water usage laws? It would be political suicide. Instead they piss-fart around pretending to care, when in fact their 6.7% pay rise is more important. That's politics.

Back