a woman, a prayer and a dog

this thread is really for those dog lovers out there (or those with a big heart).

while walking my dog - i pass by a convent school. for the last couple of week outside the school, on the footpath and under the statue of jesus, i have seen an asian lady praying. being none of my business i just keep going but do wonder what she is praying so feverantly about.

anyhow, today she saw me pass and asked if she could cuddle my dog. after a conversation in halting english it turns out she has arrived from cambodia just a month ago to become her mother's full time carer - and she has had to leave her dog behind with no one to care for it (i assume someone must be looking after it, but might just be the pound).

she said that she misses her dog desparately, and prays for him every day as she cannot afford to bring him out with her. she was dressed fairly poorly and was a skinny as all, but came across as very genuine.

this meeting has been bothering me, as i believe that people come into your life for a reason and that for some reason i have met this woman - i would love to be able to reunite her and her dog, but the shipping costs and quarantine would be hideously expensive.

can anyone make any suggestions? ... and no smart aleck comments about it just being a dog (dazza)!

Awwwh I love dogs. Tastes like koala but not as tender as whale. :D

But seriously, why not take her out to lunch and maybe take a drive to the pound and buy her a new doggie?

Unfortunatly I would assume that the dog would have been literally just left, I would be suprised if anyone would have been looking after it. I guess the only thing you can do if you want to help is find out how much it would cost to get the dog back, but then how do you know it isn't a scam?

You could always pray with her or for her and maybe an idea will come to you, she will appreciate it. (I am a Christian and believe prayer works)

Suggest she walks the dog with you?

That way she can practise her English at the same time, which would be a huge benefit to her. You would learn about another culture, which is the benefit to you.
Marg

and she has had to leave her dog behind with no one to care for it (i assume someone must be looking after it, but might just be the pound).

I doubt whether there are dog pounds in Cambodia. I remember some years ago there was government encouragement in Cambodia for the consumption of dogs to reduce the stray population. Best not mention that.

My thoughts exactly, Depreciator.

Sadly, the dog was probably in a cooking pot the next day....
Marg

yes - it was my thought as well, but i was being hopeful. i imagine the woman also know's that - how awful.

perhaps i might take her to the rspca and see if there is a dog there for her.

yes - it was my thought as well, but i was being hopeful. i imagine the woman also know's that - how awful.

perhaps i might take her to the rspca and see if there is a dog there for her.

Best to find out if she is going to stay in Australia (and have the finances to look after it), or she will have the same problem when she returns home.

Hi Lizzie,

She probably feels that she abandoned her previous dog and it would do her good to feel that she "saved one"

Take her to the RSPCA and get her a dog, at least that way she can feel a sense of balance.

PS are you back in Newcastle again or making do with somewhere else, just curious :)

Or help her start helping out walking dogs etc at the RSPCA as a volunteer - still gets to "save" the dogs, but without the long term responsibility

That's sad. Perhaps next couple of times you talk to her you could fish for information and find out what may have happened to the dog.

If it's still with family then you could approach the convent and see if they could help do a fund raiser to bring out the dog.

Lizzie have you seen Gran Torino ;). Possibly lots of Asian food for you if you are too nice :D.

Suggest she walks the dog with you?

That way she can practise her English at the same time, which would be a huge benefit to her. You would learn about another culture, which is the benefit to you.
I think this is a great idea. Let us know how you get on, lizzie. :)

I love to meet people from other cultures.

I have been thinking of trying to find out about "unaccompanied minors" who immigrate. Apparently quite a lot of teenagers immigrate on their own from refugee camps etc, because their parents are dead or missing. :( Can you imagine being so alone in the world? Not only have you been in a war and lost your home and family, but now you're plonked down in a completely unfamiliar culture. I'm talking particularly about countries like Sudan. I think I'd love to have such a young person become part of our family; have them over for dinner, teach them about Australian life and learn about their culture, help them out with getting settled here and finding their way around, etc.

Sorry for the diversion, lizzie, but does anybody know how I might go about identifying such a young person? I've thought of going to Immigration but I assume due to privacy etc that they wouldn't help, but perhaps a non-government organisation could. eg Red Cross? Sod it - I'll make some calls this morning and find out.

Thanks for motivating me to do something about this idea, lizzie. :)