AAAH...dinner time

That might work if you were put through to a human immediately, but noone's going to wait on hold or navigate artificial stupidity for that long.

now there's an idea to make money.

software that automatically dials companies that do cold canvassing.
the software could initiate the calls several times a day, and auto respond to their computer menus....once a human was detected, the software could play recordings of random complaints.

Would probably sell a few thousand copies a year......what the heck.....make it free and let it go viral..... :D

I find its all a bit of a game.
When a telemarketer calls I interupt their speech and say "Do you agree to our terms and conditions for telemarketers as posted on our website? If you continue you will be bound by them. Please continue if you agree."
Our terms and conditions as posted on our website state the telemarketer agrees to pay a fee of $1000. Most hang up when I explaine I will be sending an invoice, but some continue.
While none have actually paid, I have tied their legal and account teams up for some time, and they never call again.

i Find Its All A Bit Of A Game.
When A Telemarketer Calls I Interupt Their Speech And Say "do You Agree To Our Terms And Conditions For Telemarketers As Posted On Our Website? If You Continue You Will Be Bound By Them. Please Continue If You Agree."
Our Terms And Conditions As Posted On Our Website State The Telemarketer Agrees To Pay A Fee Of $1000. Most Hang Up When I Explaine I Will Be Sending An Invoice, But Some Continue.
While None Have Actually Paid, I Have Tied Their Legal And Account Teams Up For Some Time, And They Never Call Again.

Lol! :D.........

Coming late to this thread...

Normally I hang up as soon as there is that slight pause or if I'm daydreaming/distracted I let them ask to speak to me and then I sing song voice "Not in...ter..estED! ThankYOuuuuu!". They never call to listen to my sweeeeeeeeet song voice again, funnily enough.:rolleyes: I have a giggle though.

As for door knockers, it's pretty rare but one day it was about 36 degrees and the Indian fellow had come all the way up the driveway and took the effort to use the doorbell (I hate it when they tap on the glass).
Well, he was worth the time as he gave us a heap of free energy globes and took the old ones away.

We have a 5 sec rule... literally. If we can not identify from whom we are receiving a phone call within 5 seconds, we simply hang up. Foreign accents make this task far simpler. ;)

It might sound harsh, or even discriminatory, but our house is our sanctuary and we have zero tolerance for encroachment. Our 12 yo son holds the record for his lightning fast hang up skills. :D I never tire of admiring his resolve to preserve the sanctity of our home. :D

I usually allow the telemarketer continue until I know what they are offering.If it is a reduced rate on my credit card..I am interested.
If it is something I have already said no to before. I say Thank You, but not interested and then hang up.

Usually only have the odd politician or religious group come to the door.I let them introduce themselve, listen to their speil and close the door.
No sense in getting upset.

I have a silent number. Have had for 4 years. Didn't stop the telemarketing calls though until recently. I even was on the do not call register.

I NEVER give out my home phone number on forms, raffles or any thing else, only the mobile.

Turns out that our phone number was previously used by people who must have entered every "free" competition going. For the first couple of years the phone calls without a lie must have averaged 10 a week. This was particularly annoying as hubbie works shift work and all friends and family know to ring my mobile to check if he's asleep or not.

After going on the do not call register, the calls dropped off dramatically, but we still got them about 1 per fortnight.

Havn't had one for about 4 months now.

We used to have a couple of girls on the phones at work, but one retired, and has been replaced by someone who i'm pretty sure used to be calling up Australians at dinner time :mad:

There's no escaping these guys, next thing you know my pm's will be calling me up, trying to sign me up to some super duper internet or mobile phone plan :(

Tonight - at 6.30, which is most peoples' dinner time or close to it, I had an Indian gent come to the door (again - last time it was an Indian Lass) to talk to me about Origin Energy.

I know this because after he used his pen to tap on the glass, I could see his clipboard in his hand, and I called out "NO THANKS", but he tapped on the glass again.

I then said "NO THANKYOU" and it was then that he spoke through the glass and said that he was from Origin.

I then had to yell a form "NO!" for him to go away. He did, and I didn't need to leave my chair. ;)

Not 30 seconds later, the phone rang, which I answered (normally I let it go through to the keeper) and another Indian sounding gent wanted to speak to me, but I simply hung up.

But it gets better...he rang me back immediately, and I answered it again, and after I said "hello" he said he was not trying to sell me anything, but was in fact from the Federal Gubbermint.... Right.

I hung up again without saying a word, and went back to my chardy and dinner.

This is a regular occurrence now - at least one per week, and I have gravitated to being quite rude to these dudes, and enjoying it.

Hey, I'm harsh, but I didn't invite them to cold call me again, and again, and again.
A simple sign on the front Gate will stop them,No Door to Door Traders,no Real Estate Agents,no Hawkers,no Entry,ours cost about 75 bucks from a local signwriter,i have seen the signs at bunnings for about 25 bucks,most Hawkers understand the Law that covers Trespass,still does not stop RE but not all real estate agents can read..willair..

A simple sign on the front Gate will stop them,No Door to Door Traders,no Real Estate Agents,no Hawkers,no Entry,ours cost about 75 bucks from a local signwriter,i have seen the signs at bunnings for about 25 bucks,most Hawkers understand the Law that covers Trespass,still does not stop RE but not all real estate agents can read..willair..

We just stick with the traditional "Beware of Dog" - works a treat especially with a large blue heeler to back it up. He's more likely to lick someone to death than bite (unless you try to leave his yard without throwing the ball for him).

You could always just answer the door in your birthday suit.:eek:
Not sure if there is a law against it but the look on their faces would be priceless.:D

Regards

Regrow

wow thanks for the laughs they were fabulous!!!!

i have an answering machine and they dont leave messages. But i do hate it when i'm interupted by a door knock and its some uninvited person canvassing something.

theres a joke said in heavy indian accent.
someone says
hi , yes i am indian, but i'm not a telemarketer. I get those calls too. I hang up on them too. Its alright for you , you hang up on them all. but when i hang up on those calls
i'm hanging up on my sisters and brothers!

G'Day

We have just reregistered on the www.donotcall.gov.au registry and the calls stopped almost immediately

Unfortunately, I recently hung up on my Solicitor's Clerk as she asked me how I was!

Only immediate family have the kitchen phone number and if it rings it should only be a family member ... or maybe, my Commercial Property Manager.

So the 'do not call' thing does work and I registered all house phones and all mobile phones while I was at it.

Ah! The Serenity!

cheers
Kristine

it might not be dinner time

it might be a baby sleeping

or us wanting some sleep

or all kinds of things

the other day i was at home with my sleeping grandchild and i was trying to have a sleep too
public holiday and there is an annoying knocking.

i went but then said i ahve a sleeping baby and i was asleep go away.

it is very annoying that they think they hve the right to disturb people like this.

at a friends home i see they are inundated nightly with these kind of calls. I dont get any because my calls all go through an answering machine.

Back