Aaron Sice saves the day

So I buy a beachside duplex site at the peak of the market for near on $2m dollars, with the intention of knocking down the old house and putting up 2 x 2 storey luxury homes by one of the premium builders in the south west. the subdivision was to run the length of the block, creating 2 lots. the build on each was about $1m, end value about $2.5m. finance all in place with the lovely folk at Allco. Everything set to go and GFC hits. You couldn't give the end product away anymore... a comparable product down the road dropped from $2m and eventually sold (to a mate on my recomendation) for $1.2m... land value so he got the house for free. Allco is presuring me to go to development... I tell them it's financial suicide. They really crack it, the guy I dealt with was a real nob - the funds are in place and I must make use of the facility, despite the fact it makes no commercial sense whatsoever. I stay my ground and advise that I won't proceed. so about 4 days before xmas they pull my facility in its entirety and advise i have 7 days to pay out the loan.

stress...

so my NAB banker does a superb job and actually manages to get it done in about the space of 10 days.

needless to say it was a joyous day when I read that Allco Finance had collapsed. really guys?? probably because you were half wits!

so here I am with an approved development that makes no sense and has dropped massively in value. I then hear the health dept is now refusing anymore developments like this as there is no sewer (uses ATU's).

I consult with Aaron as to whether there was any chance I could change the direction of the subdivision (basically start again), carve off the existing house and flog it, then develop the remaining land. It's a heck of an ask... council concessions galore required. the house would sit in the minimum set back area for the main road, health dept no longer approving, there are native trees galore that may need to remain to get this thru. Aaron comes up with a design that would save most of the native peppy trees, not require earthworks, saves the old house (which is one the originals for that community - an old farm house). He goes in to bat, taking on the council and water corp and health dept, shooting their objections down and... gets it thru.

It's finally under way now with a great local builder. Started last week and will be finished by xmas. Will post images as it goes up....

Thanks Aaron - great job!

Thanks John!

Mind if I post up the house plans?

BTW, my family still lament the fact we don't get to use the old place anymore. My MIL still talks of it with glossy, dreamy eyes.

Thanks John!

Mind if I post up the house plans?

BTW, my family still lament the fact we don't get to use the old place anymore. My MIL still talks of it with glossy, dreamy eyes.

yes if you could post the plans then I will post some images. The old place was pretty cool!

Image 1 - floor stumps

Thurs 25th Oct 12

Attachments

• stumps 1.png
    stumps 1.png
    594.7 KB · Views: 327
Well done gents - I remember you mentioning this horror story Ausprop. Good to hear about the happier ending. And well done Aaron!

Oh wow beautiful spot and awesome design to cater for those great peppermint trees. It will be beautiful to sit out on the deck and just relaaaaax.

What are you plans now?

Still to sell the original? How are the valuations stacking up now that you have gone with a lower cost product?

Oh wow beautiful spot and awesome design to cater for those great peppermint trees. It will be beautiful to sit out on the deck and just relaaaaax.

What are you plans now?

Still to sell the original? How are the valuations stacking up now that you have gone with a lower cost product?

land is under priced down there becaus eof the perception that it is difficult to build... so there is a big uplift by chuckign anything on a block. Ideally i would like to keep and holiday let. The old house use to get $5k a week in summer so there is good yields to be had. Still not neutral or CF+ or anythign but it is acceptable if leveraged correctly

Sorry - I just read my post and thought hmmm 'lower cost product' sounds harsh but I just meant in comparison to your original plan to build a very high end product.

So you'll keep both or is the old one sold.

It should make a great holiday let.

Hind sight goggles are pretty cool :cool:

I would have kept my $12 Woodside employee shares and sold them at $65 instead of $20.

Yep - and I wouldn't have sold my 3,000 BHP for $10.

Great to hear it went well Ausprop - been caught with both a change of LEP and change in the market ... cost a pretty penny.

Good work Ausprop, know the site...nice spot! The Port Geo, Geographe Bay Rd end of Busselton could possibly be much worse off..there are blocks that have been sitting vacant, already subdivided on the beach front 2+ years (and they've got sewer). Building hasn't really started again around here...might start picking up now the Perth market is begining to warm up.

Another endorsement for aaron from me as well, I've used him a few times and we're now partners on a few deals.

He also rescued my cat from a tree and mowes my lawn, all round great guy!

Back