Abandoned Goods

I don't compromise my own ethics in response to someone else compromising theirs. Rightly or wrongly (and yes, I'll admit; somewhat naively), I tend to expect the same of others.
And like me you will continue to be disappointed.

Put a tarp over their stuff in the front yard or throw it in storage. No need to lie about it.

Awesome work on getting everything out Dazz :cool: There's something i'm missing here however :confused:

Called the cops for assistance and they said they were powerless to do anything about it, but warned we had no right to touch anything, especially the car...

So it's illegal to touch the car...

...Waited less than 20 minutes before getting the expected irate call from the head duck of the accountancy firm insisting that I stop going through their records. I replied "Sure, no worries at all, as soon as you call up the manager of the Tenant and tell him to come and pick all of his cr@p up outta my shed....until then - no"...

But not illegal to rip open the boxes and go through all the confidential information? I'm not a lawyer, so I'm probably missing something here, but wasn't that just like breaking into the previously mentioned car, and calling people from documents found in the glovebox?
Since it worked then beautiful, but how come they couldn't take legal action against you?

There's something i'm missing here however

Since it worked then beautiful, but how come they couldn't take legal action against you?

This is the bit you missed...

could write a legal letter...nahh, been done 12 times already and all of them have been torn up in the previous Landlord's face. This guy doesn't speak that particular language.

You'd probably be horrified to learn vincenzo, that out in the real world, lawyers don't always rule the show. In this make believe arena of the forum they do, people only ever wish to know their legal boundaries.....but then I'm not concerned about what works in the make believe world.

In the real world, there are techniques involved that can solve problems in 3 days and cost nothing that would take a team of lawyers months to achieve and cost oodles. You can figure out the rest, whilst the namby pamby brigade on this forum obfuscate about what to do.

Well it seems taking the risk payed off, very ballsy move I think, nicely played :D

So hypothetically speaking, what would you have tried if there were no documents?

Lets say there were just pallets of clothes or furniture?

It's funny you know - some people say well done, some people say wow that's amazing, some people say brilliant work, some say that's gold, and others say very ballsy.....whilst many more think and say that I am one of the most devious characters, and cite this as a prime example.

I come from the view that I've got a delinquent ratbag who has shafted the previous kind Landlord for the past 6 months.....and I'm not going to stand idly by and watch him do the same to me. In there, do the business, clear it out, job done, clean up, lease out, forget it and move onto the next property. Haven't got time to pontificate and wax legalities.

It never amazes me the varying opinions and ways people can see the same set of circumstances. I reckon adult's opinions must be like politics. Doesn't matter what it is, the best you'll get is 52% and if you really do badly you might get 48%. Either way, ignore the people who object, cos they'll never change their mind, and it's of absolutely no benefit even if they do.

Enough questions vinny - you've milked this cow dry.

Called the cops for assistance and they said they were powerless to do anything about it, but warned we had no right to touch anything, especially the car.

Well the cops told me I'm entitled to removed it if i don't know who the owner is, and if I do then i can charge the owner with trespassing.
It's a ridiculous notion that someone can leave/dump/park a car or anything else on my property and I "can't touch it".
Though state legislation may vary, I've been told that on many occasions.

Last edited:
I am in a situation where I don’t know if one of my tenants has done a runner or not. Furniture (the little bit she had) and clothes etc are still in the unit. Form 11 followed by Form 12 have all happened and she should have moved out from midnight last night. (I think Lifeline set her up with the furniture as she has come from a domestic violence situation)

Anyway after doing inspection with PM this morning and everything is the same as the PM found it on Wednesday, minus the tenant. I was a little ******** off with her, so I decided to visit Centre link. I thought why should my tenant be receiving rent assistance, when they have not paid rent for a month. So I found a nice guy there and after a bit of discussion (turns out he is also a Landlord) all I had to say is “I suspect the tenant has moved” and hey presto, no more rent assistance is being paid to her.

Is there anyway I can find out whether she has requested the power to be turned off?? That would be a good sign that she isn’t coming back and we can get another tenant in.

Kinga

Further to my previous post, I have spoken to Ergon Energy and this tenant moved in 19th March but only had the power put on in May. Then the penny dropped, I was asked by the PM with regard to getting an electrician to the property in May because the power kept going off and Ergon said an electrician was required to look at it (This was all conveyed via tenant to PM).

So she was living on free electricity until Ergon totally disconnected her in May. So the electrician was so she could get the power connected. Anyway she hasn’t disconnected yet. The PM has filed for abandonment which is 7 days, so come next Friday we change the locks and remove all her belongings. Apparently anything under $150 can be disposed of. Any personal items such as birth certificates have to be sent to the public trustee.

So I shouldn’t end up too far out of pocket.

Kinga

does anyone know if there is such athings as filing for abandonment in nsw ? i had somethign similar happen to me...pm spoke to tenant and he said he has left to another state...but this all verbal...nothign written to support this .

does anyone know if there is such athings as filing for abandonment in nsw ? i had somethign similar happen to me...pm spoke to tenant and he said he has left to another state...but this all verbal...nothign written to support this .

Your PM should be issuing the appropriate notices at the right times. In the case we had, there was nobody at the house to receive the notice and the "lady" in question stopped taking our calls, so RTA advised us to tape the notices to the door, which we did.

We went through the notices on the correct days, and as soon as the clock ticked over, we let ourselves in (having given a "notice to enter"), photographed her stuff, packed it all up, changed the locks, rented it out a few days later. We never heard from this person again and after three months (from memory) we threw her stuff away.

But your PM should be doing this :confused:. Maybe keep calling every day until your PM gets the idea that you need some rent coming in.

Our last tenant took some stuff and the rest they left abandoned on the front lawn.
Others have left behind their children's baby books.I can't bring myself to throw that away. I have tried emailing her and asking her if she wants it back, but she doesn;t reply.(she was a bit cuckoo)

Our "second degree murderer" left behind all kinds of personal letters between her and her prison correctional officer/lover.

Friends tenants did a runner once, and I couldnt believe the stuff they left behind. Good quality towels and manchester, looked like new childrens toys, good kitchen stuff. Wheelie bin totally overflowing with pizza and coke bottles, nothing else. I wondered how they could afford to leave all that and friend said, they get it from the Salvos and just go off and get more. You just have to shake your head

Back