Abbott or Gillard...?

Abbott or Gillard to win the election ?

• Tony Abbott

Votes: 72 57.6%
  • Julia Gillard

Votes: 53 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One can say in the international eyes Australia have lost a lot of credibility and one have problems explaining these type of PM change..no sex scandal, no corruption, no anything.
WHO IS Actually RUNNING Australia? mafia? corrupt Union? Bribes/money from China, Russia? USA?
Investors are also moving money out until more stable Government is in place ala Liberal.
Make no mistake Foreigners prefer their economic management and Aussie going to suffer if Labor is returned ....worst if NSW style management is Replicated in Federal Level.....

this is my point all along.

WHO IS RUNNING THE COUNTRY?

IT'S happening all over again, but even worse this time with Julia Gillard.

Look at the media's rapturous hype. Look at her spin.
Look at the complete absence of detail on what Gillard will actually do.
How familiar it all is.
Just add the stupidity of Gillard's noisiest fans and - bingo - our next Prime Minister need only dash to the polls in August to win an election without having to change a single one of Kevin Rudd's catastrophic policies.

Correction: her catastrophic policies, too.
Wasn't she deputy prime minister when she ticked off on all of them?

Let's start with the hype...http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/nicer-sell-of-same-junk/story-e6frfhqf-1225885889345

Quoted for truth.

The labor party = epic fail.

I don't like Cassowary's, they are big, have a red crescent and claw you to death when you least expect them too. Never trust a Cossowary.

I think the Libs would have a much better chance if they didnn't have a Christian fanatic as a leader. If only they'd gone for someone more moderate.

Maybe the Greens will be the big winnners.

Funny how the media and Labor voters always make out that Abbott is a Christian fanatic. Rudd was also religious. Not once did I see Abbott doing a press conference outside church. However, every Sunday, we saw Rudd coming out of church to do a press conference.

I do hope Abbott wins. I'm moving to Singapore if Labor get in. 3 more years, with GFC2 on the way under Labor. Australia would not be worth staying in after that.

The anti-abortionn stuff

He used his position as HEALTH minister to bann RU486 - because of his RELIGIOUS beliefs..

The "virginity is a woman's greatest gift" type commennnts (puke)

He feels "threatened" by gay people (Huh? How could anyone who lives in a modern Australia feel threatened?)

I just think he is totally at odds with modern Australian women.

Mandy, 2/3 of Australians identify themselves as Christian.
The overwhelming majority of non government schools are Christian.
Around 1/3 of kids go to non government schools.
There are no private schools run by communities of atheists.
I felt threatened by gay men when I was younger, as did a lot of my mates.

Who cares what 'modern' Australian women think. It's what the majority of voting women think. Modern Australian women model themselves on Sex and the City, Lady Gaga, Pink, and form political views from comedians who can't make a living without govt funded gigs, which is undoubtedly why they are anti-free markets/pro big govt - Wil Anderson, Corrine Grant, Dave Hughes, Fiona O'Loughlin.

Politicians have to enact legislation that reflects the values of the majority of the electorate. It is as simple as that. Just because you are not a Christian, it does not mean Christian values should not be considered in government policy. Our whole justice system has its roots in Christianity. The reason we don't have a death penalty is due to Christianity (for better or worse).

Although I am not a church going Christian, I am under no delusion that Christian values are responsible for much of the comfort and security western countries enjoy.

Your greatest chance to water down the influence of Christianity in the electorate is to encourage migration of non Christians to Australia. i.e. Muslims. But maybe you should read up on Islamic values beforehand.

Last edited:
If you're asking which party I'd vote for (it's always the same) Liberal
If you're asking which person I'd choose to vote for (it's usually the same) neither
However...
If you're asking who I think the country will choose as its next leader (regardless of that person's ability to run the nation) Gillard, just because she's a woman and as such brings a different (female) perspective to the table!! :eek:
But hey, here's a radical concept, one which I always believe as the best option (to)...
vote for the party, not for the person.:rolleyes:

If you're asking who I think the country will choose as its next leader (regardless of that person's ability to run the nation) Gillard, just because she's a woman and as such brings a different (female) perspective to the table!! :eek:

It will be interesting to see in time just how the public are influenced by this.

Don't forget men are 50% the population and may not necesserily feel the same way.

I think she may have too prove herself to sway the men. I really don't think the female perspective will cut it. She may also lose a few votes because of the way she got in.

I hope that everyone who thinks that the coalition will win has placed a bet accordingly, as the odds are good.

Sportsbet Labor $1.40 Coalition $2.85

IASbet Labor $1.34 other $3.15

Centrebet Labor $1.36 coalition $3.05

bye

Yeah, but where would those votes go? To the right (Libs) or to the left (Greens)?

Swinging away from Labor on the concerns that she sided with Rudd and his policies one day and then shafted him the next, could mean the votes could go more to the right. Who knows?

The votes which will matter most though will be those in swinging electorates and those electorates affected negatively by changes to the mining tax.

Voters in those electorates will care less about the sex of the PM.

I hope that everyone who thinks that the coalition will win has placed a bet accordingly, as the odds are good.

Sportsbet Labor $1.40 Coalition $2.85

IASbet Labor $1.34 other $3.15

Centrebet Labor $1.36 coalition $3.05

bye
Wonder what price the Greens are at,but looking at those prices the open market must already think that Miss Gillard has a walk in start..willair..

Hi all,

I posted those odds because they are vastly different to how the poll is going. It just shows to me that people will believe in anything that is in line with their thoughts, despite the evidence against.

Those betting agencies have very good sources of information to calculate the odds of an event happening.

The title of the thread is who do you think will win, not who do you want to win. Most participants have answered who they want to win, or they just didn't think.

My belief of the uselessness of polls has more evidence in its favour.

WW, I believe those are fixed odds, but I don't play myself.

bye

If I bet today, are my bet's odds fixed as they would be with a racetrack bookie, or do they change afterwards, like a TAB bet?

they are fixed price.

betfair has 1.43 lab and 3.20 libs

i think betfair is a good guide to 'real odds' of an event as it is live trading compared to a bookmaker who just sets a price trying to pick a point at which they can profit.

BTW betting on tennis in Grandslams on Betfair is money for jam, almost impossible to lose with backing and laying strategies as the fluctuations are enormous, The Fed ranged between 6 and 24 in just one game tonight to win tournament. It is however time consuming and becomes a bit like a job and i feel like going to bed, just need Andy Murray to fight back and win this second set and i can close the position on that match and i can go to bed:)

I do hope Abbott wins. I'm moving to Singapore if Labor get in. 3 more years, with GFC2 on the way under Labor. Australia would not be worth staying in after that.
I was thinking for moving across the ditch. Shouldn't take long to learn how to talk Kiwi. :)

betfair has 1.43 lab and 3.20 libs

i think betfair is a good guide to 'real odds' of an event as it is live trading compared to a bookmaker who just sets a price trying to pick a point at which they can profit.

Yep....Betfair is good !
I backed the Coalition at 4.2 a month or so ago and they shortened to 3.0 and then I layed them off....can't lose no matter who wins the election. greened up the field! :D

Not so sure about them being 'real odds' for the purpose of indicating an outcome tho....there is afterall gambling involved and the favourite does not always win...:rolleyes:

Hi all,

I posted those odds because they are vastly different to how the poll is going. It just shows to me that people will believe in anything that is in line with their thoughts, despite the evidence against.

Are you saying that gamblers and bookies have inside information on the outcome of the next election...?....evidence..???:confused::eek:

C'mon Bill...really....

This poll is shaping up almost exactly the same as the Yahoo poll I mentioned earlier....around the 57/43 distribution. Even if it's who people 'think' will win or 'want' to win...it's pretty obvious that the 68000 polled and the not so many on here have had their say.

Newspolls posted in headlines are always taken in selected areas and only 1500 or so people polled.....and I have never ever been polled.

At least this poll and the one on Yahoo are a free go for people to choose and not 'selected' to participate.

It will be interesting to see in time just how the public are influenced by this.
Yes it will be.
Don't forget men are 50% the population.
Yes they (you) do.
She may also lose a few votes because of the way she got in.
She may, but if you're saying that because it was done in a less than pleasant manner (putting it diplomatically) then don't forget, there have been men in the past that have come up behind and snatched the leader's position (digging in the knife so-to-speak) in pretty much the same way and the public still voted them in!!

All I'm saying is, it COULD go either way. Guess it might just come down to which way the wind's blowing on election day!! :rolleyes: :p

Back