About to move in - floorboard and painting advice

So I pick up the keys to my new 3br house in a few weeks, and I've set the 'move-in' date 2 weeks after that.

There are 2 main things I want to do:

1)install floorboards (bamboo)
2)Re-paint the house

Now, I'm thinking it would be best to do floorboards first, as the floorboards could completely change the look of the paint, correct?

The other thing is, we're debating whether to paint ourselves or hire a painter. Considering the cost of the painter, we may well do it ourselves. I figures as long as we do the proper prep-work, are careful and research the paint types we're using we should be fine. It's just time consuming....though we're still undecided.

Anybody have recommendations for a painter in Melbourne? Coburg area...

Also, are there any ways we could reduce the cost of a painter?

Following from that, we like feature walls - would a painter charge extra for these?

Of course, any recommendations for who to use for floorboards would be appreciated :)

I figure it's safest to hire somebody to do the flooring, I wouldn't know where to start with that!

There are 2 main things I want to do:
1)install floorboards (bamboo)
2)Re-paint the house

Now, I'm thinking it would be best to do floorboards first, as the floorboards could completely change the look of the paint, correct?
Yes, floors change the look of the paint. BUT paint first, then do the floors. Otherwise your lovely floors may end up with some paint spills (existing old carpet can be used as a drop sheet, and pulled up afterwards).

Also, are there any ways we could reduce the cost of a painter?
Yes, get 3 x quotes or do it yourself. :)

Following from that, we like feature walls - would a painter charge extra for these?
Yes, it is more time consuming changing rollers with different paint colours + you have to get a separate colour in another tin of paint, which always has some left over (OK to keep for touchups).

Seriously, paint it yourself, if you have the time.

+1 for paint first.

But paint a large piece of board with sample colour and put it next to the chosen floorboards first to see if it will work together.

Paint yourself its really not hard for the amount of $$$ you will save. Paint the ceilings and walls same colour as this has two benefits. 1) easier for cutting in. 2) it will make the place feel bigger as it will be seamless. This tricks the eye. It is an interior decorator's trick (I read a lot of interior blogs and I've seen it for myself too, it really works).

As for the feature wall I wouldn't go a different wall colour on one wall. This concept is quite dated. You got a lot more options these days. Wall paper, murals, timber panels or even a wall of art. Think outside the box, get creative and take a risk. Have a look for inspiration online.

Good luck.

If you were sanding and polishing existing boards, I would change the order. Otherwise, painting first is the go.

When sanding, I would sand first, then paint (use drop sheets), then polish the boards. You don't want dust all over the fresh paint and you don't want ladders on fresh polish. Just make sure you have the floor completely covered.

Of course, any recommendations for who to use for floorboards would be appreciated :)

As suggested, paint first so you don't drip paint all over your new floors. I have just painted myself and found it easy to do a fair job (although a little more time consuming than expected).

I have also just got bamboo floors professionally installed, went through a company called The Floor Gallery in Oakleigh who were good to deal with, but the installer was a sub contractor named Saud on 0410 514 138. He did a fantastic job and highly recommended. Not sure if you can contact him directly to cut out the middle man mark up, but worth giving a shot.

also factor whether you wil have the skirts removed to lay the flooring or whether
you will leave them on and bead the gap.

Back