ABS Demographic Statistics for Sep 2006

The ABS has just released its Australian Demographic Statistics, Sep 2006. You can find it on this link:

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/3101.0?OpenDocument

Of interest (well to me anyway :rolleyes: )

* 8% increase in net overseas migration (NOM) since Sep 05, which was about 130,000 people. NOM was positive for all states, except ACT, the largest numbers going to NSW and VIC.

* state populations at 30 September 2006 were as follows: NSW 6.8m, VIC 5.1m, QLD 4.1m, SA 1.6m, WA 2.1m, TAS 0.5m, NT 0.2m and the ACT 0.3m

* "All states and territories recorded positive population growth over the 12 months ended 30 September 2006. Western Australia recorded the largest growth rate (2.0%), followed by Queensland (1.9%), the Northern Territory (1.6%), Victoria (1.4%), the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, and South Australia (0.9%) and Tasmania (0.6%)"

* "QLD experienced the highest positive net interstate migration with an increase of 25,300 persons for the 12 months ended 30 Sep 2006. "

* "Interstate migration of 75,800 movements for the September quarter 2006, was the lowest since December quarter 1994 when 73,600 residents moved interstate. Over the last 12 years the trend in interstate migration has varied between the states and territories. Queensland stands alone as the only state to have consistently experienced positive net interstate migration whereas New South Wales and South Australia consistently experienced negative net interstate migration. Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory all fluctuated between positive and negative net interstate migration."

Source: ABS. Pls check source before relying on the above figures.

For me, I'm still liking QLD :D

Back