Access restricted to Strata Meter Box -unit owner denying access

I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation or might have some suggestions.

The new owner in my strata group (there are 3 units and my entities own 2 units) has refused to provide a key to myself or the strata management outfit for the carport (roller door) where the meter box is located.

Had a situation where this owner went away for 2 months and no-one could get access to the meter. This caused a problem for the new tenant in my unit getting the meter read (and of course for the previous occupant).

I have contacted the strata manager stating that we should be allowed a key to this carport for emergency purposes but this owner has said that this would jeopardise the security of his property. (the group of units are located on a corner with all 3 garages facing one street, his unit is on the corner end and because where the space for our rear yards are, he has a caport that covers where the meter is)

Now in fairness, he did not build the carport that is restricting access to the meter box, it was there when he bought it. I can't say where the meter box actually is either, but am thinking perhaps he needs to relocate the carport back so the meter box can be accessed from the street frontage.

The bloody minded side of me wants to say (by virtue of my 2 votes to his one) that access must be permitted and that if he will not provide a key so access can be had in emergencies or change of tenants, then he needs to relocate the carport so access can be allowed to the meter box.

The strata manager tells me that restricting access to the meter box is not permitted by Strata Law, but is unable to suggest how this should be resolved. This has been going on for months and now is just in a stalemate.

Any ideas what I should do ( I don't really want to come the heavy hand - its only in the sense of saying look I could force X to occur , so wouldn't allowing me the key be a much easier way - I mean it literally would be in the case where if the power needed to cut off for whatever reason and he wasn't home then that would be the only time access would be required, or if in the case, which actually did occur, he went away and the meter needed to be read)

I look forward to what ideas you may have ( and I know some of you will say and yes if you come the heavy hand , he could annoy your tenants by playing silly buggers with the power, but I don't think he would be like that, he is an owner occupier.- and I am not wanting any grief just some commonsense to come into play)

cheers

Roomer

Relocate the meter box?

You talk about having him relocate his car port, but what about relocating the meter box? I can understand his concern about giving out a key and losing the security of his carport, but it also seems like poor planning of the units for the meter box to be inaccessible. As it is a strata matter, I imagine costs for rectifying the layout (of the car port or the meter box) would come out of the sinking fund. Thus, he would effectively be paying one third of the costs and may then prefer to just give you a key to avoid this extra cost.

Just a question, are the meters for all units in his carport?

ok , l agree its a sticky situation.
if only the power company had access to this garage to read the meter would that suit the other owner?
It is a saftey issue that no body can access that garage to the meter box.
speak to your power supply and ask them their advice.
If in the case of emergency the garage door had to be knocked down who would have to pay as the owner wont give access to anyone else?
all else fails force your vote.
cheers

As Brendio suggested - I suspect it would be a lot cheaper to relocate the meter box than to relocate the car port.

Regards,

Jason

You need to be firm.

The options are:
1. Get access to the meter boxes in the carport - you need a key
OR 2. Relocate the meter boxes to outside the carport
There is no grey area about it. The present situation is unacceptable.

Use your 2:1 vote to get either motion carried, preferrably #2.

Be it that the carport was there when he bought the question is really whether the carport and sealing of the same is on the registered strata plan.

It seems very strange that the strata plan was allowed to be registered with a meter box not having to be able to be accessed.

If the carport is not registered to his lot then he basically has no rights to the exclusive use and as such you can force the issue regarding access.

As already mentioned it's also a safety issue as should there be a fire or other emergency how do the firey's turn of the power.

So given that I suspect that the sealing of the carport was not authorised then I would proceed with the options as per 'props' post but at lot owner's expense.

Cheers

You need to be firm.

The options are:
1. Get access to the meter boxes in the carport - you need a key
OR 2. Relocate the meter boxes to outside the carport
There is no grey area about it. The present situation is unacceptable.

Use your 2:1 vote to get either motion carried, preferrably #2.

I have to do number 2) in my property as I'm putting a roller door for my carport.

You talk about having him relocate his car port, but what about relocating the meter box? I can understand his concern about giving out a key and losing the security of his carport, but it also seems like poor planning of the units for the meter box to be inaccessible. As it is a strata matter, I imagine costs for rectifying the layout (of the car port or the meter box) would come out of the sinking fund. Thus, he would effectively be paying one third of the costs and may then prefer to just give you a key to avoid this extra cost.

Just a question, are the meters for all units in his carport?

Yes - thats what is so annoying

Thanks for all you suggestions.

I dont think there would be room to move the meter box to in front of the carport roller door, (and I thought moving the carport would have been at his expense) which is why I was suggesting that the carport go back further.

However may be it would need to be located on the return wall ie the wall facing the street - would look ugly for unit 1 but at least it would solve the problem.

Thanks again to you all, this is a great forum in how everyone helps out, much appreciated

Back