Accountant has not filed 09-10 personal tax return

Hi,
I had an appointment with my accountant on September 14, 2010.
He wasted a lot of time and we did not get everything done, so he scooped up all my documents to take back to his out of Sydney office. He said he would have the return completed by the end of the following week.

Time past - Christmas came and went and at the end of Jan I started contacting him to see how he was progressing. Mostly he ignored my emails. I got a few responses during Feb and March - each promising that the return would be complete "the next week".

In the interim his office kept sending me invoices - I have now paid over $3k to have my return completed and lodged.

I have emailed, phoned and texted. On the "anniversary" of our meeting I texted again and insisted that the return be lodged. He texted back that he would be in the office Friday and sort it out. Now it is 7pm Monday and nothing - noemail, phone or text.

I have lodged a complaint with the ATO Tax Professionals Board - but they seem just as hopeless as my accountant.
I now need to borrow to complete an investment project - but of course cannot without the tax return.

Any tips hints or methods to get this guy to lodge my return and give me my documents/records back ???????????

I agree with bob that is very poor. You could process a formal complaint with the professional body they are a member but that won't solve the immediate problem which is the need for financials for the bank.

Poor service is promising something and not delivering

In the interim his office kept sending me invoices - I have now paid over $3k to have my return completed and lodged.

This sounds extremely suss to me being billed before work completed.

Ring them every day and ask for a progress report; stating you have paid 3K and need tax return completed, where are they up to.

Regards
Sheryn

PS
I had the problem of our accountant taking their time to finalise our tax each year for 3 years, slowly taking longer and charging more but I did no thave to pay for services until taxation completed and assessment received from ATO.

So I have taken our personal tax off the accountant and I am currently considering taking our SMSF off accountant as well if they do not deliver as promised.

As Coasty mentioned, call up their professional standards board to inform them of this. The tax agent's board may do very little.

Ask them to send via email, fax or post just a draft of where it is up to. Demand to see it.

Last of all, set up an appointment to go in to discuss the progress. It would be uncomfortable but you would be in their face.

Hi,
I had an appointment with my accountant on September 14, 2010.
He wasted a lot of time and we did not get everything done, so he scooped up all my documents to take back to his out of Sydney office. He said he would have the return completed by the end of the following week.

Time past - Christmas came and went and at the end of Jan I started contacting him to see how he was progressing. Mostly he ignored my emails. I got a few responses during Feb and March - each promising that the return would be complete "the next week".

I have emailed, phoned and texted. On the "anniversary" of our meeting I texted again and insisted that the return be lodged. He texted back that he would be in the office Friday and sort it out. Now it is 7pm Monday and nothing - noemail, phone or text.

I have lodged a complaint with the ATO Tax Professionals Board - but they seem just as hopeless as my accountant.
I now need to borrow to complete an investment project - but of course cannot without the tax return.

Any tips hints or methods to get this guy to lodge my return and give me my documents/records back ???????????

I'd assume he's either CA or CPA. Have you told him you are lodging a complain to those organisation? Also, why were you paying invoices if no job was ever done?

Back