Acrylic sheet walls - Shower/bathroom

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on using acrylic sheets instead of tiling in bathrooms.

Currently in the middle of renovating and nearly at tile stage but was interested to hear if anyone had used this system? Feel free to add to the below list of pro's and con's.

Pros:
- Less chance of leaks from failed grout/waterproofing.
- Cheaper labour costs (no cutting tiles etc etc.)
- Easy to clean
- Can be finished in large range of colours, just paint the back of acrylic!
- Easy to cut

Cons:
- Cheapish looking?
- Durability of acrylic sheets? easy to scratch?

If I had the time I would have loved to create a small (approx. 20mm) cavity behind an acrylic sheeting in the shower and run LED stripping behind the acrylic which IMO would create an amazing feature when illuminated at night.. :cool: Possibly what has been done in the image attached?

Cheers!

Attachments

• Acrylic walls.jpg
    Acrylic walls.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 968
Me too :rolleyes: - saw some advertised at Masters and they looked nice, but I've no idea how they'll last.
Doesn't acrylic scratch pretty easily? I can imagine some damage from younger kids that tiles won't get.

Grout isn't meant to be waterproof. It's the stuff under the tiles, the waterproof later, that provides the moisture barrier.

Even with the acrylic sheet you'd still need to waterproof the walls and floor separately.

it would be easier and cheaper than tiling but durablility may be lacking.

IS that photo of acrylic or is it coloured glass?? I like the look and think it would be worth a go. In the long run replacing would be easier also

Back