ACT dual occ / subdivision questions

I am not familiar with this process and would appreciate some guidance. I live on a 850sqm RZ1 block in Canberra and I want to explore the option of building a second dwelling at the rear of the property.

I always thought an RZ1 could not be subdivided - reading this document seams to indicate that it is allowed or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
http://www.legislation.act.gov.au/ni/2008-27/copy/79518/pdf/2008-27.pdf

If subdivision is not possible my understanding is that a dual occupancy means that both dwellings are on the same block and therefore must be valued and sold together?

I'm wondering what my next steps from here are, do I need to get ACTPLA or another party to come out to see what it is allowable? How can I assess it if is possible and estimate all costs?

Last edited:
There will be issues with frontage width, unit titleing, possibly with change of use charge etc. A good place to get great advice would be Ted at Resolution Planning. Ted is an absolute ACT planning expert and lovely person and can definitely help you. Sorry I can't be more helpful but it's been 6 years since I consulted to ACTPLA, my area of high level expertise is NSW.
Just google Resolution, best wishes

My understanding was that duel occupancy with separate titles could be valued and sold separately. Is this not the case? If someone could please point me to a link which states you can't do this would be much appreciated as I am looking at doing the same thing next year.

Angel

Slightly off-topic, has anyone noticed that on allhomes now when you view a house and have a look at the map you can now select to view unimproved land values, as well as territory planning zones...probably a common feature, but the first I have noticed

Thanks for that, Ted has confirmed also.

We are planning to live in the property long term... could always build a small 3 beddie and rent it out. Problem is spending say $200-300k on it won't increase the value by the same. But on the other hand the rent would be pretty good and holding costs almost neutral... just thinking out loud :)

Last edited:
Hi Baz

I've never done it, but I'd assume (and have heard) that building a basic 3 bedroom house should cost less than $200k....maybe some of the builders could confirm.

The two house on one title thing seemed quite popular in my neck of the woods a few years back (Calwell). There's one on the market now for around $700k. I'd assume the one dwelling alone would fetch around $400k so if the second one cost less than $300k to build then someone is making money (providing they sell).

Cheers

Jamie

Hi Baz

I've never done it, but I'd assume (and have heard) that building a basic 3 bedroom house should cost less than $200k....maybe some of the builders could confirm.

Project homes could cost less than $200k for a basic 3 bedroom house, but not many builders do it for dual-occu. If anyone know a builder does, would love to know ;-)

Hi Baz

Project homes could cost less than $200k for a basic 3 bedroom house, but not many builders do it for dual-occu. If anyone know a builder does, would love to know the contact details ;-)

Last edited:
Back