ad in SMH - Financial Super Stars "free" seminar

Hi everyone,

I saw an ad in the SMH today (Wednesday 26 May 2004) for a "free" seminar in Sydney Convention & Exhibition Centre on Saturday 3rd July 2004. It is titled "Financial Super Stars". It advertises 2 speakers - John McGrath (real estate agent) and an American named William Danko (co-author of the book The Millionaire Next Door). It is quite a long day from 8am to 5.30pm. I have phoned up to register (1800 119 509) for a place. Have any of you heard of these people (not John McGrath, but the people who run the seminar)? Am not sure if this is going to be one of those pressured seminars where they grab your money by making you sign the dotted line etc. They said they have a website www.nationalrealestateinvestors.com. I checked it out and it is a US group. Recently I read Neil Jenman warns people about a person named Robert G Allen coming to Australia from the US. Am wondering if this group may be in the same category? :confused:

Babushka,

Not the same category - and don't believe everything Jenman says!

He's interested in the success of HIS real estate organisation and as such is NOT impartial by any means.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

The Millionaire Next Door is a very good book. Even John Treed , Who is constantly having a go at most "guru's" ( in particular Robert KIyosaki ) has said nice things about it.

Free talk for one day. Might be worth while.

Had a look at the web site ....mmm

Sometimes people who are promoting their own products will pay a well know speaker to talk , and this will grab people in

I went to a presentation many years ago who's headline speaker was David Koch. The company behind it was a group called "Safety in the Market ", the Brain child of a Queenslander called David Bowden . SITM is still pugging along some ten years later , no name changes , still with David Bowden.

See Change

Thanks Acey Ducey and Seachange for the replies. The invitation I got signed by a person named Reed West, so I did a search on his name and found the following comments from a US site. I may go to the seminar, out of curiosity, but will leave my wallet at home.
===========
Has anyone heard of Reed West, Robert Bluhm ,Dave Craig or JD Craig?

I have heard of Robert Bluhm. He is a great speaker. So good in fact he will have you forking over to him $6000.00 of your hard earned money for information you can get free at a library or spend less than $200.00 at a good book store.
All of these men have the same profession and it isn't investing their money- its talking you out of YOURS!!! Beware and take your time.

These guys are there to excite you about your future. They are truly inspirational, so much so that you will reach into your wallet and hand over large sums for their product (which is really nothing more than stuff you can get anywhere) in the hope that you will finally get rich. They capitalize on each person's greed and gut awareness that (so far) they have not made the best financial decisions, but now, with the help of these articulate, well dressed and caring professionals, they can finally achieve wealth. You will exit poorer, but wiser.

I love the internet! Thank you for your comments about the National Training Conference which these guys run. I have two 'free' tickets in my hand to an upcoming event. I know now not to waste my time and stay away from temptation.

Out of mere curiosity I have attended the National Training Conference in Calgary on April 22 and must admit that all these guys really know how to give a show, and that I was somehow inspired to at least think about possibilities to make money. However, I don't believe in things that are too good to be true and I didn't end paying thousands of dollars for a service I wasn't sure about. Instead, I'd like to check some things on the internet first, which brought me to this page. Be careful!

Thanks for reminding me that all of us must do our homework prior to accepting "free" tickets!

Kudos to all of you who have posted on this thread. Smelled like snake oil from the git go; glad you confirmed the aroma!

Thanks for saving us time and $$$. We just put our tickets in the circular file.
========

ASIC view on this seminar

here is the link to ASIC website fido on this seminar - http://fido.asic.gov.au/fido/fido.nsf/print/FIDO's+invited+to+an+investment+seminar?opendocument

FIDO's invited to an investment seminar

FIDO recently received 'complimentary VIP tickets' with a purported 'value' of $149 printed on them, to attend what the promoters describe as 'the country's #1 financial conference'.

This is only one of numerous wealth creation seminars on the market. However, motivated by the invitation, FIDO decided to examine this seminar's marketing claims more closely simply to point out:

what questions you could ask yourself and
what steps you could take to save your time and money.
Who's presenting and what's known about them?
Claim
The 'country's #1 financial conference', featuring 'four of Australia's Greatest Financial Super Stars'.

FIDO's comment
We checked ASIC's databases to see if any of the presenters of the seminar who intend to discuss shares or investments held an Australian financial services licence. They did not. Nor did the conference organising company.

Using an internet search engine, we discovered that three of the four speakers appear to live and work in the USA, not Australia. (FIDO could not find any leads about the fourth person.)

The internet search engine also led FIDO to a bulletin board that mentions a couple of speakers, and relates some experiences of others who have attended the course. This can be useful information, although not always a reliable guide about the worth of a course.
How credible are claims about what you will learn?
The promotional flyer makes various claims. FIDO selected a couple for analysis and comment.

Claim
'Earn 15-60% interest per year with a unique government approved investment'.

FIDO's comment
The first warning sign about this claim is the representation that it is 'government approved'. No Australian government 'approves' investments of any kind. Whatever investment you may consider, Australian law makes it clear that you must decide for yourself whether it's suitable for you.
Australian governments may offer some types of investments, for example government bonds, although none of these currently pay 15% -60% interest per year. Australian governments may give some investments favourable tax treatment, for example superannuation funds pay only a maximum of 15% tax on their investment earnings to encourage retirement saving. However, these examples are a long way from governments approving investments.
Claim
'You will learn how to retire in 2-5 years with an additional cash flow of $9,100.78 per month.'

FIDO's comment
Such a precise amount, right down to the 78 cents, contrasts strangely with the promise of retirement with a broad range of three years.
Forecasts about future earnings and cash flows can only be made if people have a reasonable basis for them, and will usually depend on the individual circumstances of each person. It is difficult to conceive how someone could estimate your future earnings or cash flows without knowing anything about you.
Would this be value for money?
FIDO has been offered free tickets. This reminds us of the saying 'you get what you pay for'.

Free seminars are often a marketing device to enrol people in costly follow-up training or to sell things like books, CDs, software or videos. If you're offered these products, stop and consider what else you get for your money. There are some excellent courses and books, often at far lower cost.

The seminar appears to run for nine and a half hours on a Saturday. It is often the experience of consumers who attend such seminars that it can be difficult to leave before the seminar has finished. How much is nine and a half hours of your time worth to you?

Lots more information about seminars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date Printed 10 June 2004, © Australian Securities & Investments Commission
www.fido.asic.gov.au

It's good to see William Danko is still around,unlike www.nationalrealestateinvestors.com..imho even if this is an old post..
willair..
Co-author of "The Millionaire Next Door"

William Danko scored a double coup when, with co-author Thomas Stanley, he published, The Millionaire Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of America's Wealthy in 1996. The book is a serious, statistical look at a segment of U.S. society: those households--more than three and a half million in number--whose net worth exceeds one million dollars. In addition to being a sociological study, the book has also become a popular how-to guide, landing on the New York Times bestseller list and earning a one million three hundred thousand dollars paperback advance from Pocket Books.

The Millionaire Next Door was no overnight sensation. The two men went through the exhausting process of surveying and interviewing millionaires over a twenty year period. Thousands of such people received the team's surveys, the responses from which provided the raw data for their investigation. Among the major findings is the fact that the typical millionaire is not so different from--and indeed probably lives next door to--his or her less- wealthy neighbors. Eighty percent of millionaires, Danko and Stanley found, are self-made, and two-thirds are self-employed, often in blue-collar businesses that they own in fields such as construction, dry cleaning, and scrap metal. Millionaires-to-be tended not to be the best students back in high school, but often placed in the middle academic tier of students--"the smartest kids in the dumb row."

What has set such people apart has been their drive and their frugality. Millionaires work hard, and they save much and spend relatively little of what they earn. Contrary to popular assumptions, the typical millionaire is more likely to shop at Sears than at Brooks Brothers, and to buy relatively inexpensive clothing and cars. Not surprisingly, most of the millionaires located and surveyed by the authors are male due to differences in pay scales and career routes between the genders characteristic of the two-decade period preceding the survey. The writers found that the archetypal figure typically remains married to his first wife, a woman who shares her husband's frugality and keeps tight reins on the family budget. In contrast to the retiring lifestyle of the millionaire, the authors contend that high-living professionals who take expensive vacations and purchase luxury cars and clothing are likely to be burdened by "debts"

Back