adblock gurus wanted...

Hi all,

I use Mozilla and Firefox and am most happy with that combination as I am able to get rid of most of the ads that appear on various websites.

But one thing i cannot work out - how do i get rid of the Flash based adds on the websites (namely on rea.com.au)? I normally right click on the ad image that i want to delete and specify the filter on the menu that pops up then. But if i right click on a Flash image I don't get a menu option allowing me to add that flash image to adblock.

So how can i add flash images/movies to the adblock filters?

Thanks

g

Usually if you move your mouse over the flash item a small tab will appear in one corner saying "Block". Click on that.

See attached example.

GP

Attachments

• Flash.png
    Flash.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 51
I use Flashblock. Without it, Firefox gradually slows to a crawl. It blocks Youtube videos etc too, of course.

You nasty people who block ads are depriving us nice website owners of lots of juicy $$ you know ...

I have flashblock installed too......but just turned it off to see if my recent adblock filter rules would block realestate.com candy.

and it seems to have.

filters to add to adblock plus are here.

let us know how you go.

But one thing i cannot work out - how do i get rid of the Flash based adds on the websites (namely on rea.com.au)? I normally right click on the ad image that i want to delete and specify the filter on the menu that pops up then. But if i right click on a Flash image I don't get a menu option allowing me to add that flash image to adblock.

So how can i add flash images/movies to the adblock filters?

Hi G,

Adblock Plus has two components - you're already using the main component. You need an additional plugin called "Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper".

It's an addon that allows you to block entire columns of ads, including frames that contain Flash. It even can block text.

Download from here: http://adblockplus.org/en/elemhidehelper

After you install this addon and restart firefox, then there will be a new menu under the Adblock icon called "Select element to hide".

1. Go to http://www.realestate.com.au
2. Click on "Select element to hide"
3. Move your mouse to the ad block you want to hide and select it. The part of the site that you are trying to block will have a red rectangle around it. Adblock Plus will open up a window to confirm that you want to block this element.
4. Click "Add filter rule".

Wash, rinse and repeat for all the other ads until you have a clean page.

Warning: You may, no... you WILL accidentally block elements that will remove all content from the page, including stuff you wanted to view. If this happens, simply remove the rule that caused the page to break.

HTH,

-- MJ.

Hi Mja,

Thanks for the response. It is good getting helpful responses (instead of just being told to go to Google).

FWIW - I followed your advice and installed "Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper" and it works a real treat.

Kudos to you.

Thanks

g

Fix your website so that ads aren't obtrusive, therefore I don't have to block them.
I just have a banner top and bottom on my main site and I tend to block anything that 'blinks' if I notice it - those sites where they have one stuck every paragraph, plus a popup, a full-page ad every time you change pages and then an entire column of ads as well ... now THOSE sites I can understand driving anyone to blocking.

Mind you my ads are mostly for maths worksheets and I see today I have an ad for an Adelaide magician :)

The irony of ads is the less traffic you get the more likely you are to get really horrible ads for lotteries, diets, dating and herbal supplements. Traffic goes up, suddenly you're getting better-paying, more relevant ads - which is great, because I get a lot of prudes visit my site and they email me abusing me whenever Google serves me an ad that could even vaguely pass as offensive, and of course never tell me the URL of the ad or what it is an ad for so I can block it :mad:

Back