Add a 2nd bathroom. Will the tenants put up with this?

Is it worth putting in a 2nd bathroom in an IP?

I have an I.P in an area where there is chronic shortage of rentals and Im getting top rent atm. Its a 3 b/r 1 bathroom house

Im going to replace an old garage and have to submit a DA. It cant be done as a 'complying development' bc of the location in town. Thus, I am thinking that if I have to do a DA that maybe I should include the development for a 2nd bathroom as well.

The existing tenants might not be so happy if this is done during their tenancy. I could wait up to 5 yrs to complete the work.

I purchased the house very cheap 14 yrs ago and my rental yield is high. The question is will I ever get the money back from the rent in the long term. Should I bother? Will it add to the sale price?

thanks for your opinion on this

The question is will I ever get the money back from the rent in the long term. Should I bother? Will it add to the sale price?
This is a 'How long is a piece of string?" question. There are so many variables, I don't know where to start.

I raised a thread but no one responded:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107590

Im thinking of submitting a DA to add a 2nd bathroom but unsure if I should proceed.

Im still waiting to hear back from my PM if doing this will make a significant difference in the rent and/or future sale value.

If your an existing landlord and had the funds to do this, would you proceed with adding a 2nd bathroom in an existing 3 b/r 1 bath home in a good location in a small town where there is a huge demand for rental properties. I'm already getting high rent thus dont know if I should bother as there is only so much people can afford to pay

The biggest question is whether or not the tenants will put up with the disruption of having another bathroom added

thanks for your opinion....

I raised a thread but no one responded:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107590
The biggest question is whether or not the tenants will put up with the disruption of having another bathroom added

My question is why do you want to do this?
In order to get a higher rent?

I'm for improvements because they will get us a higher rent plus we attract better tenants but unless a tenant asks for an addition they won't be willing to pay higher rent.

My guess is that when you sell your IP you might not get your money back but the property should sell easier.

Im going to replace an old garage and have to submit a DA. It cant be done as a 'complying development' bc of the location in town. Thus, I am thinking that if I have to do a DA that maybe I should include the development for a 2nd bathroom as well.

The existing tenants might not be so happy if this is done during their tenancy. I could wait up to 5 yrs to complete the work.

Will a better garage get you more rent?

Will the tenant put up with the works/loss of garage while the works are performed? How long will it take?

Is the garage going to be joined to the house ie provides an indoor toilet rather than an outdoor inconvenience?

Does the internal layout of the 3 x 1 mean that a second bathroom can be added easily?

Certain floor plans adapt well to it and would disrupt the tenants for 1-2 weeks.

If you are already getting top rent and you wanted to put rent up after the second bathroom your current tenants who you are presumably happy with may not want to pay more and you will have to have a period of vacancy during retenancy.

A second bathroom generally would help on resale though. I'd probably consider doing it between tenancies.

Back