Adding a room in a unit

Hi,

I was wondering how much would it cost to add a temporary room in a corner of a unit in the 6th floor. It means there would be only 2 walls needed.

As I measured the room will be 3m x 4m, and about 2.5m height

I'm sort of new in renovation, and heard gyprock or stud walls is
the cheapest solution for this?

Does anyone have an idea how much is the cost to build something like this?

I've considered that the room have a window, AC, and already asked the body corporate if its okay to do so, considering i dont do any thing to the common property.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hey thanks Aaron, what surprise me after asking a number of tradies, may range between $2500-5000+. Does it mean the $5000 quote were just trying to rip me off?

Anyway if I may ask again, is it easy to remove gyprock walls?

What do you mean by temporary?
Do you want the walls built in place (cornice and all) because that's not temporary.
What do you mean- take the gyprock off?

Can you explain exactly what you want.

My son rented a unit where the tenants had a wall made to divide a room. It looked like a normal wall but wasn't fixed. It had legs out the bottom for stability. Sounds weird but it looked ok. They had furniture against it so you couldn't see the legs.

You are after a stud wall - and as the others have said, they are realtively easy and cheap to build. The guys wanting $5K either did not need the work or did not want to do such a small job.

HOWEVER, you still need to anchor the stud wall in place. This means dynabolting (or fixing it some other way) it to the concrete floor and the ceiling. This is common property not owned exclusively by you. For this you will need BC approval, IMO.

Hi guys I want to rent the rooms later on, might be students. However with the possibilities to remove the wall say in 2-3years time if necessary, as I might want to live in the unit, or if I want to sell the unit in the future.

A cheap skirting is the choice instead of cornice. Yeah will probably double check it with the. Bc.

I assume stud walls are easy enough to be removed? Without living much trace?

Hi guys I want to rent the rooms later on, might be students. However with the possibilities to remove the wall say in 2-3years time if necessary, as I might want to live in the unit, or if I want to sell the unit in the future.

A cheap skirting is the choice instead of cornice. Yeah will probably double check it with the. Bc.

I assume stud walls are easy enough to be removed? Without living much trace?

Skirting goes around the bottom to hide the join to the floor. Cornice goes around the top to hide the join to the ceiling. You sort of don't do one or the other - you'll need both. :confused:

They can be 'easily' removed - with a sledgehammer! :D But as to leaving no trace, this is unlikely, but the amount of 'trace' will depend on how it is installed. If you bolt it to the floor OVER the carpet (I'm assuming carpet?) instead of cutting the carpet, then you'll still have the carpet, but it will be depressed and less faded. If it's a timber or tile floor, you'll have dirty great big holes in it. Or you could use legs, as another poster has suggested, but then it's not really a stud wall.

Then at the ceiling, when the cornice is pulled off, it will almost certainly damage the plaster of the ceiling. Nothing that a bit of patching won't fix.

So unless you put in a temporary wall, there'll be some make good to do when it's removed.

Hope that helps.

to put something like that would be carpenter - 1 day - $300
plasterer - 2 days - $700
Painting $500

does the apartment have sprinklers. if you do that can cost another 1-2K?

you would also need a permit in victoria - not sure abt NSW as it needs to compliant for fire safety etc etc.

What about one of those concertina room dividers, can you still get them? They attach to walls at the side and can be pulled out and put away, and are pretty sturdy. In my student days I also remember seeing a room made from two glass sliding doors in a big wooden frame fixed to the walls only.

Hi,

I was wondering how much would it cost to add a temporary room in a corner of a unit in the 6th floor. It means there would be only 2 walls needed.

As I measured the room will be 3m x 4m, and about 2.5m height

I'm sort of new in renovation, and heard gyprock or stud walls is
the cheapest solution for this?

Does anyone have an idea how much is the cost to build something like this?

I've considered that the room have a window, AC, and already asked the body corporate if its okay to do so, considering i dont do any thing to the common property.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would be surprised if the body corp would approve a wall to make another
room, your basically making it a two bedroom?? and do you still expect to be
charged strata fees etc on a 1 bedder if it is a 1 bedder.
There is a lot of strata managements cracking down on this now.

Liability for body corporate fees is based on the plan of subdivision, which is itself based on the area of the apartment - not the number of bedrooms.

I told one of the guy in BC that it's only for studies. Even when I bought the unit from the developer, the guy already said about 4-5 ppl lived in it before, and rental was above 1 bedder market price. So they are not so strict in terms of number of ppl living in.

Yes It's going to be bolted to the floor over the carpet. The carpet already in not so good condition so I don't mind it.

So it seems that my only concern is the how it fixed to the ceiling. I wont put cornice then.

Thanks for the concertina room divider Laura ill check it out later.

I remember looking at a temporary wall installation by US company, but nothing similar is available here in Aussie

whatever you do in your apartment is your right as long as it doesn't interfere with essential services and you do not split it and rent it out like a dorm accommodation.

got a mate who specifically errected a super small room so he could have a permanent area for his pet dog.

Back