Adding Buisness Services thread to Somersoft

Hi guys,
Just wondering peoples thoughts regarding the possability of adding a services thread to the Somersoft site. I know a lot of members here including myself work as professionals in the real estate industry and may be interested in having a dedicated thread offering advice and services to other forum members.The benefits to members could be discounts on products and services.The reason behind the idea is people regularly seem to direct questions for advice and recommendation for services from other forum members,so why not have a dedicated thread for this?
Anything more than simple objective advice may be dealt with via a direct PM.
The idea is to connect forum members to other forum members within the property industry, be it finance, renovation, suppliers,builders,services etc. All being property related businesses ideally offering free advice and discounts to forum members.
I'm not sure if this would comply with the Somersoft ethic but still just an idea that may prove helpful to all members.
Perhaps a poll may help?
Obviously the idea needs some fine tuning but would love to here peoples thoughts on the idea.
Regards
Dave

I am not keen on it.

Something that wrecks forums is people just touting for business.

Imagine how many would turn up if the moderators stopped deleting them?

What works well here is if you include what you do in your signature block and then do your best to add value to the forum by giving info and advice to all.

Once you build a level of respect in here then you may start hearing from people looking for someone in your field.

But trust me - it isn't an easy path to lots of new clients.

I agree with Simon, that you really don't want a whole lot of people here just to promote their Business. This forum works well the way it is however, I really don't see why you could not have a link (like the little facebook icon) to an area that lists members businesses, so that if someone is looking specifically for something they can find it.

Maybe if this was done, there would have to be some kind of strict criterior to pass before you were able to link your Business into the database. Say, maybe 100 posts, or perhaps you would have to apply, and the moderators would look to see if you are a participating forum member, or just to tout for business and decide if you were worthy of including in the database.

Of course, this would require a lot more effort from the moderators, and perhaps they may see this as too much added work.

No.

Also, is it just me or is there way too many sub forums as it is. I end up missing a lot of posts because i can't be bothered sifting through the 18 different sections. I think it should be culled back and combines to about 6.

No.

Also, is it just me or is there way too many sub forums as it is. I end up missing a lot of posts because i can't be bothered sifting through the 18 different sections. I think it should be culled back and combines to about 6.

If you click on "new posts" you see all the posts that have been added to since you last checked. You don't need to keep click back and forth to each section.

Hi guys,
Just wondering peoples thoughts regarding the possability of adding a services thread to the Somersoft site. I know a lot of members here including myself work as professionals in the real estate industry and may be interested in having a dedicated thread offering advice and services to other forum members.The benefits to members could be discounts on products and services.The reason behind the idea is people regularly seem to direct questions for advice and recommendation for services from other forum members,so why not have a dedicated thread for this?
Anything more than simple objective advice may be dealt with via a direct PM.
The idea is to connect forum members to other forum members within the property industry, be it finance, renovation, suppliers,builders,services etc. All being property related businesses ideally offering free advice and discounts to forum members.
I'm not sure if this would comply with the Somersoft ethic but still just an idea that may prove helpful to all members.
Perhaps a poll may help?
Obviously the idea needs some fine tuning but would love to here peoples thoughts on the idea.
Regards
Dave
Dave myself i think "NO",you already have real estate professionals working this site,you have the same ones each time every time a new or experienced poster asks a question about different parts of NSW,maybe just join the lineup
..willair..

Well I belong to a photographers forum - there were people posting left right and centre for business - to sell products to photographers it was BAD - until they had a separate forum just for Buy and sell - you had to have a min number of posts - and you were not allowed to have anything in your signature - it got rid of all the trash out of the mainstream - worked a charm!

Back