Adding Second Toilet - Value add or not?

Hi,

Opinions, please. In middle of bathroom renovation an old 4 bedder (extended) BV in Melbourne, but undecided if adding a second toilet would be value add for attracting tenants and selling further down the track...

We've removed the bathtub from the bathroom and not sure if the space would be better served with a toilet. Cost is $1K odd for toilet and installation.

Thanks.

I would more be questioning the decision to remove the bathtub in a 4 bedroom home?
A 4 bedder home is for families with young children. It can be argued that a bathtub is almost essential in this scenario.

As opposed to adding another toilet which I personally believe would add little value would be to reinstate the bathtub.

I would more be questioning the decision to remove the bathtub in a 4 bedroom home?
A 4 bedder home is for families with young children. It can be argued that a bathtub is almost essential in this scenario.

As opposed to adding another toilet which I personally believe would add little value would be to reinstate the bathtub.

Good point, but the only reason we had to remove the bathtub was that this bathroom seems extra small. With the bathtub reinstalled, it would only allow the bathroom to be a 750x750 bathroom - tiny and I even felt claustrophobic at 5'7.5" in height!

If we removed the bathroom, it would allow a 750x 900 to 1200mm.

There then lies a void between the vanity unit and bathroom which we thought would be better for a 2nd toilet.

in a 4 bed house - you really need a bath.
have you considered a shower bath? - shower above the existing bath and put in a shower screen?
or is there room to knock down a wall somewhere and steal space from another room

and make sure you can access waste pipe if putting in another toilet - cheapers option is to install on an external wall with a P trap - you dont want to be drilling into the slab

Hey Willister,

As Shaz pointed out, can you not look at options such as a bath/shower? Honestly I would be looking at any possibility to get the bathtub this this house. A bathtub in a 4 bedder is almost a necessity.

If you mentioned the space feels claustrophobic then it also may not be wise to chuck a toilet in as well. Most people would prefer the space to have a laundry basket.

The only benefit i see in a second toilet is on multiple story homes purely for convenience. On a single story home I do not think it will add any benefit. I grew up in a family of 5 and cannot really remember ever wishing we had a second toilet.

My vote is for a Shower over bath (even if its a small square corner bath that aint very deep) as families love having a bath for the kids in 4 bedders.

SOB's save on space and make room for the extra loo. If you can get a 2nd toilet in a 4 bedder you should.

Vals for genuine 4x2's always outperform 4x1's, so if you have a spare study nook or dodgy bit of rumpus you should do the extra bathroom properly

The only benefit i see in a second toilet is on multiple story homes purely for convenience. On a single story home I do not think it will add any benefit. I grew up in a family of 5 and cannot really remember ever wishing we had a second toilet.

Visitors use one toilet, occupants of the house use another. That's the main value I see, plus convenience if it's a double story house. It's not uncommon to meet people who like to have their own bathroom or toilet that visitors do not use.

Definitely would make sure there is provision of a bath, either freestanding or shower over bath if it's a four bedroom. Majority of tenants/purchasers will have children at an age where they will need to use a bath - removing this permanently will be detrimental to the value + rental potential.

I agree with the above posts, as a family man I would never buy or rent a house without a bath. The main bathroom in my PPOR was a tiny narrow space but I knew I needed a bath, toilet and vanity when I renovated. I completely changed the layout of the room and swung the door the other way. I found a narrow relatively short bath and a compact toilet no problems. I went with large white wall tiles and mosaic black floor tiles (they cost a bomb to lay) and the room doesn't feel over crowded. The bath only seems small if an adult gets in, otherwise it seems in proportion - it's amazing how the mind sees only what it expects to see

Definitely put in the second toilet ... as a girl growing up in a house with 4 females and one bloke - and now with only 2 females and one bloke - you need a second loo.

What is it about you blokes who decided at "get ready for school" time they need to disappear into the toilet for some "business" and refuse to emerge for another 20 minutes? :confused:

I too am divided on this, we just renovated our bathroom as well, and tried every way to get a toilet in, even trying to stick the dan thing in the linen closest doh. but could not. We kept the bath-tub as we have young kids so this works well. In regards with the single toilet its all about timing 

Thanks for the input guys. In the end we decided not to:

1. To hook it to the existing sewage line, it required a bit more excavation than the plumber originally thought and since it was very narrow, didn't want to take any risks.

2. The area we are (Chadstone) is more or less going to be singles, students or couples without kids renting. Bathtub wouldn't really be a priority for them, but I suppose neither would a second toilet.

We removed and decided not to replace the old bathtub as well, it was in the way of extending the shower area! Originally it was 750mmx750mm - way too small. We've now extended it to 750mmx1000mm. The spare space we have can now be used for dirty laundry!

So you have a four bedroom house. A single isn't going to pay the rent, so who else will rent it? two to four adults sharing together, and a second toilet will come in very handy to this demographic. Can you fit it in the garage or laundry?

Back