Additional bathroom or bedroom

Hi All,

What is more valuable to tenants and valuers? An additional bedroom or an additional bathroom?

If you had to make a choice between either which one would you add to the house?

Daniel, that is a very good question, are you talking about a new footing or adding it whilst still in the original structure.?

Generally, more bathrooms will be better compared to more bedrooms, but most likely, it'll cost a lot more to build a new bathroom than a bedroom, for obvious reasons. So the question becomes, is the additional cost of a bathroom compared to an additional bedroom justified?

My vote goes to an extra bedroom.

People can queue for a bathroom.

Does it need to be a whole additional bathroom? What about just an extra toilet somewhere as well as an extra bedroom?

My vote goes to an extra bedroom.

People can queue for a bathroom.

Does it need to be a whole additional bathroom? What about just an extra toilet somewhere as well as an extra bedroom?

I agree with this suggestion too. A toilet in the laundry should suffice.

How many people realistically have both showers in use at the same time?

It really depends on how many bedrooms and bathrooms already in the place...

If 2 bed, 1 bath - i'd add the bedroom
If 3 bed, 1 bath - i'd still probably go bedroom
If 4 bed, 1 bath - i'd definetely add the bathroom

If 2 bed, 1 bath - i'd add the bedroom
If 3 bed, 1 bath - i'd still probably go bedroom
If 4 bed, 1 bath - i'd definetely add the bathroom

So your 2/1 becomes a 3/1, in which case you'd add another bedroom to make a 4/1, in which case you'll add a bathroom and that it becomes a 4/2?

So your 2/1 becomes a 3/1, in which case you'd most likely add another bedroom to make a 4/1, in which case you'll add a bathroom and that it becomes a 4/2?

for me it'd be a harder decision to make is when its 3 bed, 1 bath as while 1 bath is ok in that instance, it is not really sufficient for a 4 bed property...

I agree with this suggestion too. A toilet in the laundry should suffice.

How many people realistically have both showers in use at the same time?

+1.

I think a second toilet would add value and a few $$$ to the rent. We have one in the Laundry at the moment but none in the bathroom, so will be putting one in there when we get around to doing that.

All depends on the type of property it is aswell, for example ours has good access underneath and the pipework design makes it easy for us to put the 2nd toilet in - hardest part would be cutting the slab but you can get a concrete cutter in for that.

Hi All,

What is more valuable to tenants and valuers? An additional bedroom or an additional bathroom?

If you had to make a choice between either which one would you add to the house?

A valuer will value your place DOWN if they see you've taken some valuable living area and converted it to a bedroom, especially in an existing 3 bedroom house. Same reason if you're going from a 3 bedder to a 4, you NEED to put in the extra toilet...even if it's just a pencil ensuite (1m x 3m).

A valuer will value your place DOWN if they see you've taken some valuable living area and converted it to a bedroom, especially in an existing 3 bedroom house. Same reason if you're going from a 3 bedder to a 4, you NEED to put in the extra toilet...even if it's just a pencil ensuite (1m x 3m).

Yes ive decided to add a bedroom AND a bathroom. Might aswell spend a bit more and do it properly

in lj hooker's real estate magazine it says that kitchens and bathrooms are the two main rooms that a potential buyer looks most closely at and an extra bathroom adds more value than a bedroom...
great that you've decided to do both...sure to add value for resale or rent.

Hi Daniel,

When changing the profile of a property adding bedrooms is always going to add more value to a property than the number of bathrooms.

When people start their search online for potential properties, the first thing they select after they choose a suburb and limit their budget is the number of bedrooms they require at a minimum. They will look at the number of bathrooms as a secondary point. Same with the valuers, they will use the number of bedrooms as a search criteria to find other comparative sales in that area..

We contributed to an article on exactly this subject to API magazine last year and my article on adding value through changes to profiles of properties will also come out in next months Wealth Creator magazine - have a look, it might assist.

Wishing you every success, Ana

When you get to over 3 bedrooms you will start to really need a second bathroom. But an easy way of that this can be achieved is often through a laundry conversion where you can re-use another wet space in a home to add a bathroom.

Wishing you every success, Ana Stankovic

Yea... well actually the 2nd place had 2 toilets but only one bathtub. I added another 'bathroom' in.

The first place only had one bathroom and the laundry was in there, so I built a new shed at the back for the laundry, made the existing bathroom bigger and also built another bathroom somewhere else.

Back