Additional person requested on lease

Background is as follows. My IP (4br house) has been rented to two applicants starting January for 12 months. Rent is $395pw

Have received a request for another person to go on the lease. The property is sufficiently large enough to cater for the extra person. The person is a 22yr first time renter.

My understanding is that I am unable to reasonably deny the request or charge extra rent.

Despite this, what I would like to know, is what tactics, strategies or approaches has anyone used to increase the rent in this situation?

Background is as follows. My IP (4br house) has been rented to two applicants starting January for 12 months. Rent is $395pw

Have received a request for another person to go on the lease. The property is sufficiently large enough to cater for the extra person. The person is a 22yr first time renter.

My understanding is that I am unable to reasonably deny the request or charge extra rent.

Despite this, what I would like to know, is what tactics, strategies or approaches has anyone used to increase the rent in this situation?

None. I rent my places by the home, not by the room. Sounds like you don't run a boarding house either.

I'd run the checks on the extra person and if good approve them.

Having said that any future rent increases will be more palatable when split between three, rather than two. If you try to increase the rent in ~10 months to above market, or what they seem reasonable, they (if the behave themselves) now have three, rather than two solid renters if they apply elsewhere.

They've told you. That's a good first sign.

You are renting a house. Not per room. The rent is the same whether it is one person or 4.

You can increase the rent at the end of the lease.

Yep, run the checks..If stacks up well put them on the lease. Puts you in a stronger position legally with greater avenue options to pursue if you ever have .

If they are currently on a fixed lease, then I don't believe you are obliged to agree to the change in tenants although a reasonable person would at least consider it.

Just like if your tenant checks don't fill you with confidence you are not obliged to say why you don't accept the application.

Changing terms of lease?

Dear Buzz,
1. How many people are listed on the lease?
2. Has the person made an application for tenancy?
3. Are they potentially a good tenant?
4. If he or she is an extra person, eg. (lease states 2 persons) and he or she is a third,
I would be asking for a bit extra, starting form the moving in date, as extra wear and tear on the house. (but not that much extra that scares them off...;))

5. I hope this helps,
Perhaps if they are asking to alter the 'terms and conditions of an existing lease, then you may be up for $ negotiation:D

Cheers

Back