Additional security required

Due to some recent issues our tenant has asked for some additional security measures. Specifically she asked for security doors particularly on the front door so I guess that is where people have tried to break in. The sliding door at the back doesn't have a deadlock either and I don't think it is easy to install a deadlock onto a glass sliding door.

I am considering purchasing either some security doors or an alarm system.

I have been looking at the security doors with the strong steel mesh - they look like a flyscreen but are super strong and supposed to be as good as a decent security door. I have seen some advertised as the brand "crimsafe". Not keen on installing a cheap "security door" which can easily be broken into anyway and there would be issues of damage to flyscreens.

As these security doors are not cheap (I haven't been able to get a quote yet, but i think around $500 a door), as an alternative I thought that I could try to get an alarm installed with a lower upfront cost and pay the monthly monitoring fee for the minimum term. The monthly fee would be deductible and so may end up costing me less plus I would get to spread it over a period of time. An alarm also seems like a good advertising point for a property. However I would want to make sure the tenant was responsible for payment of any security patrol callout fees. I wouldn't want to be responsible for callout fees if for example she got a pet left it inside and never had her mobile on when the cat set the alarm off.

Comments/suggestions anyone?

Last edited:
I don't think it is easy to install a deadlock onto a glass sliding door.

Comments/suggestions anyone?

A dead lockable sliding pin lock is all that is needed - very cheap to buy and install. We use it on all our sliding doors.

http://www.locksgalore.com.au/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=377&category=locks_slidingdoorlocks

http://www.locksgalore.com.au/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=360&category=locks_slidingdoorlocks

I wouldn't recommend an alarm - enough false alarms and the neighbours start killing the power supply for you.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Yep, I'm with Y-Man.

I've had to install deadlocks on sliding doors, as well as all sliding windows. A bit of a pain when the bill has to be paid, but not a problem afterward.

Geoff,

OK…this reply may slightly drift from the original point…

I'm installing the mesh type security doors at the moment. You can get different types and cost depends on whether you need a frame with it or can use existing door frame. I'm paying $600 for the one at one my IP, but they generally ranges from $500-800.

Sliding door locks are ok, but a broom handle on the inside of the door rail track does the job if you want a cheap alternative.

If the thief(s) are determined to get in, they will break the glass anyhow, so locks etc are only a minor deterrent for mainly the opportunistic thief.

An alarm system is good. Just don’t let the salesman try to put in to many motions sensors...these are the cause of most false alarms. An average house would only need one, maybe two motion sensors (don’t have any in the bedrooms; you are not going to have them on if you are in the house, so a waste of time generally). You can also get Pet Sensitive ones as well that will allow small pets to move around an area without activating. If you want to really avoid false alarms, have the system wired so that two different motion sensors are needed to trigger in the same area (this type of system may cost more). In a good system you would include vibration sensors to the window and magnetic sensors to all the exterior doors. If you are sneaky, I would put magnetic sensor on at least one internal door, especially if you are in the habit of leaving the windows and doors open when you leave home! Alarms systems are relatively cheap depending on your monitoring service and what extras you may want added inside the house. A lot of companies give you a basic system at cost price, as long as you sign up for the monitoring service. Insurance is usually lower if you have a monitored service also.

Other options for exit/entry points is motion sensor lighting. Shutters, grills etc are good. They don’t look all that nice generally and the cost is high, so a bit of trade off.

Basic Security Measures to Consider:

You should be thinking of rings of security when looking at your property. The first line of defense is the outer perimeter of the house (the fence line around the house, and from the fence line to the house basically). This perimeter should be clear of thick vegetation where thief can hide once he is within you outer perimeter, making it easier for them to attempt something in the first place. Motions sensor lights covering most likely approaches are good at night. Additionally, you can: 1)use beware of the dog signs on the letter box. 2) Get a dog preferably! 3)Window tinting or mirror tinting to exterior windows (this makes it hard for a thief to determine if anyone is looking out). 4) Put some false CCTV cameras around the house (the thief’s don’t know if they are real or not, and it may deter some of them). Your first line of defense is basically about trying to make your place a hard target. This might be good enough for the thief to move on - basically if the place looks like it might cause a problem or increases the possibility of him/her being detected you might never know it but you just avoided a break-in.

Now look at the perimeter of the actual house (80% of break-ins are though open windows and doors), window locks, grills, shutters, magnetic and vibration alarm contacts, motion sensor lights should be considered for all possible entry points (and don’t leave the doors or windows open!).

Now for the inside, basically you are left with an alarm system (and a baseball bat!!!), the system should include a couple of panic buttons...these are usually place in the master bedroom and another location in the house of your choice. They are useful at night should an intruder be inside the house (because you left a window open!) and you want to hit a button to set of the alarm quickly. Most people don’t switch on the alarm system when they are inside the house, so all you perimeter alarms are basically off when you go to bed. Yes you can zone the alarm system and have some areas where the alarm is still on, but human nature being what it is means that most people will either forget to do it, or won’t remember how to do it!

Main entry door (if solid) should have a peep hole, never open a door unless you have a good outer security door in place and its locked! or you have looked through the peep hole and know who is on the other side. The main door should also have chain latch on the inside as a back-up and for when you talk to strangers once you feel its safe enough to open the front door. Additionally, all the exterior solid core doors should have a couple of sliding latches for added security at night when you are inside of the residence, these come in handy should an exterior key lock be breached by someone that knows how to pick locks.

Inside of the house you should have a panic room that the family is taught to go to should something be happening outside or worst case something suspicious inside the house. Generally, speaking it would be the master bedroom. This room becomes the panic room for the family and should include: 1)The door should be reinforced or at least have a solid wood door. 2) install at least two large sliding latches deeply into the frame, brick or ground. The panic room should also have additional security to the exterior windows in the form of grills or shutters (if you use grills make sure you have one with a lock for emergency exiting). You should have a phone line, alarm panic button and cell phone in this room (baseball bat, shoot-gun, pistol, machete are optional!)

I could go on but this is probably getting a bit long….for those that are wondering, I’m a security consultant and have done all of these things and much more for high risk clients in South America, so although a lot of this may be over the top for the average Australia suburban house it should give you a basic idea of things that you might want to consider.

Oh, don’t forget FIRE hazards at home…especially if you are all locked up. Get an extinguisher, fire blanket, smoke detectors and have a plan on how to get out in case of fire…don’t say that is easy!! think about this... you and your family are inside the house, its 2am, the power is out, the house if full of smoke, your cant see anything, you are coughing, you cant breathe…you have to crawl on the floor because of the smoke, you are starting to panic...you children a calling out to you....now, do you really know how to get out of your house?…do your kids?...practice it…hopefully you will never use it…but you never know.

Lacasa

Thanks for all the info!

As a side issue I wonder whether I would have to get permission from the body corporate (it's a community title house), to install security doors or an alarm. I have a copy of the by laws and it doesn't say anything about this, just mentions that I can't change the color scheme. So I guess it would be OK. I don't have a contact person for the body corporate - just the name of a management company.

Great Post Lacasa,

In regards to the number of motion sensors I've always found that I've been able to get a discount on the Insurance if there are 3 or more installed.

Other sneaky options are a motion sensor in the roof or a hidden reed switch on the manhole cover.

Agree with "hardening" the target to put potential thiefs off, I had a friend who put an old alarm strobelight on the outside of his house after a few break-ins (hasn't had a problem since) and timed lights/radios etc are a great tip for when not at home or on holidays.

I believe there is some great new technology around as well, some elderly friends are looking at *beefing* up thier home alarm system after the husband found two 20+ yr olds in the house when he got up to get a cuppa around 9PM (they had broken in via the Master Bedroom window) the House was alarmed, but not active whilst he was sitting there watching TV, anyway, they bolted the same way they came......now they're installing glass break detectors (active even whilst system is unarmed), front porch camera hooked up to the TV and a sensor light and hard wiring the smoke detectors whilst they're at it.

Sliding door locks are ok, but a broom handle on the inside of the door rail track does the job if you want a cheap alternative.

If the thief(s) are determined to get in, they will break the glass anyhow, so locks etc are only a minor deterrent for mainly the opportunistic thief.

Lacasa

The broom handle is effective for stopping people getting in, however:

1. Insurance companies may not like the idea :)
2. they don't stop people getting out, once they have gained access through a window etc. A sliding pin lock can be deadlocked, to stop it bein opened from the inside as well. The tradeoff is as you mention if these are accidentally left locked in an emergency situation. :(

Cheers,

The Y-man

Last two houses we were advised by our security company not to link the smoke alarms to the alarm system because it was looking like the fire services would charge us for false alarms. Don't think they do because they were called to my parents house via the house alarm within the past year, came to the house, and my parents didn't get a bill.

I think it is more the commercial premises with endless false alarms, but we had them wired in electrically, but not linked to the alarm.

As long as we get out of the house with the children and the dog, I don't really care about our "things".

Wylie

Thanks for all the info!

As a side issue I wonder whether I would have to get permission from the body corporate (it's a community title house), to install security doors or an alarm. I have a copy of the by laws and it doesn't say anything about this, just mentions that I can't change the color scheme. So I guess it would be OK. I don't have a contact person for the body corporate - just the name of a management company.

I know with our development, the first person interested needed to contact the body corporate, and the executive committee then decided on appropriate guidelines as to security screens.
The unit owner in question obtained all the information, and pointed out what they liked, and we just said "yep, thats cool. this or this, and only in this colour"

Back