Adelaide Housing prices - Western Suburbs

When I said defence project, I meant the build of the three air warfare destroyers at Port Adelaide...but I know that more defence are moving to Edinburough as well. But you're right, defence personel don't live near the base. I'm ex navy and know that rental accomodation is heavily subsidised. They will go where the trendy lifestyle is and they can afford big bucks...beaches, city etc. And with the extension of the expressway I thought northern beaches is in easy reach of the base.
When I was in, the lower ranks were getting $340 pw in Sydney to subsidise their rent. So it was well within my reach to rent for 500 pw. Not sure Elizabeth, Andrews farm etc. would be on the top of their list - much more pleasant on the beach!

Hi Happy,
Just curious to know if the defence project in Edinburgh will require the contractor's services for their project? If yes....the contractor employees can live in the nearby areas?

Hi Happy,
Just curious to know if the defence project in Edinburgh will require the contractor's services for their project? If yes....the contractor employees can live in the nearby areas?

Contractors will probably not want to live in the area for the same reason the majority of defence personnel will live elsewhere.
Besides, contractors are living somewhere now. Why would they relocate their entire family move from their social network network?

Not sure how the 'True' western Suburbs (B/n Henley and Brighton) turned into a discussion about Defence housing on the other side of the Mullet proof fence (Grand Junction Road) or the North West outer suburbs... and IKEA
(although we are regulars at IKEA - Rumpled ELF - see you there Sunday Morning.. bugger they have put up their big brecky back to $3.45!)

Warradale north of the train line ticks all the boxes - transport / shopping hub / Beaches / renovated pubs / Glenelg and good value stocks to renovate or redevelop.

Even a pool.. if they ever get it built

'Mullet proof fence' - never heard that one before! Love it! :D

I agree, when I'm talking western suburbs I'm referring to Thebarton, Hindmarsh, all the way to Glenelg, Henley etc. Areas to the north of Port Rd. I'd call North West.

Guess it depends on how far you want to break areas down. Always grates with me when I hear a suburb like Prospect called 'northern suburb' etc.

Always grates with me when I hear a suburb like Prospect called 'northern suburb' etc.
I used to live in North Adelaide and if you talked to anyone on the other side of that mullet proof fence, and told them you live in North Adelaide, they'd go "oh, Elizabeth? Salisbury? Munno Para?"

NORTH not NORTHERN you nongs!

Nice RE. :D

You might be able to answer this. A while back someone told me people out in Elizabeth when they say "going into the city" mean Elizabeth city centre. If they're going to the actual CBD, they say they're "going into Adelaide"? You heard this one?

No, but one time I was catching a bus to the city (the real city) and there were a pair of 40somethings on the bus who were asking the bus driver all manner of questions because ... wait for it ...

They were from Elizabeth and had never been to the city before :eek: :eek: :eek:

So, I'm afraid to say, I'd be inclined to believe this.

So what do people think about Adelaide right now?

Christies Beach and O'Sullivan beach got a mention in the Nov API, so I might fly down and check it out.

Is the market activity quite hot over there right now?

Beats me. I'd imagine just one of his 'mates' in Adelaide.

Considering this REA seriously marks up houses on one side of the town and really marks them down on the other (the town has 2000 people, its basically a suburb) and also marks up houses with sheds quite heavily, you kind of take anything he has to say with a grain of salt. His agency has the majority of the listings here so they set the prices but his love of sheds makes me laugh sometimes (http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=106074874 note the first photo on this ad).

He also wants to keep my house listed when I get a tenant in case an investor wants to buy it. Mmmkay, but its a 7% yeild to an investor and a 23% yield for *me* because I bought it so long ago, and I only need $4000ish to complete my current deal. Rent will do that for me, just slower than a sale.

We're looking to buy soon in the triangle from city to North Haven to West Beach, mainly focusing on the Port Adelaide area - there are a few suburbs like Taparoo and Osborne and Alberton that are still affordable for us and we think, are likely to be popular in the future. It appears that local government are throwing a bit of money around with new playgrounds, streetscapes, tram line etc. And I read somewhere that the defence project to get underway at Port soon will employ 1000 people - they have to live somewhere!

Not a bad idea happy... I've owned my PPOR in Taperoo for 3 years now, and it's appreciated from the $250k I bought it for to probably just over $350k. I won't be selling it for a couple of years yet, I still like living in it and am renovating.

G/f just bought a place in Largs North, a simple 2br unit for $300k. Needs no work (carpets a little manky, but will be an IP in 6 months). We're moving her in at the moment. It'll be handy to have that place while I'm renovating the bathroom. Haven't actually done any maths to be honest, just like the place and figure we can't really lose money with the FHOG.

btw Happy, if you want to chat about any places between West Lakes and North Haven in the sub-$400k range, I've been watching the market for the last 4 years and am happy to chat.

Just bringing this thread back after 18 months for a re-visit of the true West suburbs.. Warradale in particular..

The Swimming centre is now complete and the water slides are great... The pub is undergoing yet another renovation this time to the Dining area.

there has been oodles of development - old houses into semi detatched selling in the $470 - $510 range... Mid range quality but selling quite well even in todays market.

Looking at developing the same with a property I bought for $330k in Early 2008

Wish me well...

there has been stacks and stacks or subdividing warradale, marion, seacombe way although i personally prob wouldn't have them pegged for a western suburb.

if you paid 330k and built two townhouses / villas looks like you might make some cash :) well done...

Back