Adelaide Housing prices - Western Suburbs

Hi,

Property experts have been banging on about a lot of the Adelaide outer suburbs such as Christies Beach, Elizabeth or Mount Barker and their adjoining suburbs...

I think the value and future returns are going to be found in the West - South West suburbs one back from the beaches such as Warradale, Marion and Glengowrie areas either side of Diagonal Road between Glenelg and Marion.

These areas showing steady growth over the last few years but not ever mentioned in Adelaide reviews.

Any thoughts here?

Don't know much about the specific suburbs you mentioned, but I do remember Peter K liked suburbs in close proximity to Westfield Marion.

Agree with you in general about the western suburbs though, but I'm looking a little closer to the CBD. I'm looking to make our next purchase there, though that's as much of a lifestyle decision (our next PPOR) as it is for value growth. I'd be quite happy if the suburbs I'm after stood still for the next 1-2yrs. Close to the beach, close the the CBD, good schools, good shopping facilities - what more can you ask. :)

We're looking to buy soon in the triangle from city to North Haven to West Beach, mainly focusing on the Port Adelaide area - there are a few suburbs like Taparoo and Osborne and Alberton that are still affordable for us and we think, are likely to be popular in the future. It appears that local government are throwing a bit of money around with new playgrounds, streetscapes, tram line etc. And I read somewhere that the defence project to get underway at Port soon will employ 1000 people - they have to live somewhere!

Hi Happy,

I read somewhere that the defence project is going to be in Edinburgh (Far North, near Blakeview, Elizabeth etc). In that case, those new people will try to find a property in those areas(?)

beyound elizabeth

was reading the othere day about Andrews Farm, picked by Terry Ryder as a future spot. Seems weel placed between Elizabeth and Gawler, but may be a few years off yet.

I read somewhere that the defence project is going to be in Edinburgh (Far North, near Blakeview, Elizabeth etc). In that case, those new people will try to find a property in those areas(?)
Defence people don't buy or rent there, new starts get a welcoming pack which pretty much says to avoid any suburb even remotely close to the defense base. The poor dears get very upset about this as all the close suburbs have amazingly low rent.

When I was working there, everyone lived in Mawson Lakes, Prospect, North Adelaide, Gawler and other small towns north of Adelaide, and surprisingly - Hallet Cove. The train from down south is very fast, and the train is the preferred means to get there so all those suburbs (except North Adelaide) are on the train line.

Hi Happy,

My husband works out that way and he says that most people that work out there wouldn't necessarily want to live out there. We're at Henley Beach and his commute isn't too bad with the new expressway through the port.

Well you'd hope not, those areas have gone from the lowest of the low riff-raff areas to being horrendously expensive for what they are (IMHO) and they'd be the first I'd expect to go down if prices adjust downwards. But that's just my opinion, so ignore it if you will - there's plenty others here who've done well out of that area, I just personally don't like the far outer north of Adelaide - and I briefly (11 months) lived there, which kinda confirmed my bias. I didn't appreciate being woken up by the police at 3am looking for someone who just shot someone in the next street ...

Now, the northwest suburbs near that Port Rd extension ... those really are gooooood for people in defence. Before I quit there were several people looking to buy there. Not that far from the city either. The west of Adelaide is cleaning up lovely - I keep driving through it to get to Ikea :D

We're looking to buy soon in the triangle from city to North Haven to West Beach, mainly focusing on the Port Adelaide area - there are a few suburbs like Taparoo and Osborne and Alberton that are still affordable for us and we think, are likely to be popular in the future. It appears that local government are throwing a bit of money around with new playgrounds, streetscapes, tram line etc. And I read somewhere that the defence project to get underway at Port soon will employ 1000 people - they have to live somewhere!
Taperoo/Osborne etc should be good. Cheap land in prime location just waiting to be redeveloped.

There's areas like that in perth like Fremantle and Mandurah that have gentrified through redevelopment. Mandurah is 50km from perth's CBD, Taperoo is 14km. Not hard to do the maths.

And the west of Adelaide has an Ikea. Did I mention that before? Surely not ;) Its a reason to live there in its own right. Have you SEEN the crowds at that place?

Also babies love Swedish meatballs, which has nothing at all to do with this topic.

My dad has been doing developments around Marion, Oaklands Park for a few years now- he loves it! train to city, plenty of oldies love shopping at westfield Marion, still close enough to beach.
You could do a lot worse
Meg

And the west of Adelaide has an Ikea. Did I mention that before? Surely not ;) Its a reason to live there in its own right. Have you SEEN the crowds at that place?

Also babies love Swedish meatballs, which has nothing at all to do with this topic.
Very convenient location. I noticed it's right on the edge of the airport so people can fly in, go to Ikea, fly out. Yet another convenient idea from Ikea.

When I said defence project, I meant the build of the three air warfare destroyers at Port Adelaide...but I know that more defence are moving to Edinburough as well. But you're right, defence personel don't live near the base. I'm ex navy and know that rental accomodation is heavily subsidised. They will go where the trendy lifestyle is and they can afford big bucks...beaches, city etc. And with the extension of the expressway I thought northern beaches is in easy reach of the base.
When I was in, the lower ranks were getting $340 pw in Sydney to subsidise their rent. So it was well within my reach to rent for 500 pw. Not sure Elizabeth, Andrews farm etc. would be on the top of their list - much more pleasant on the beach!

Not sure how the 'True' western Suburbs (B/n Henley and Brighton) turned into a discussion about Defence housing on the other side of the Mullet proof fence (Grand Junction Road) or the North West outer suburbs... and IKEA
(although we are regulars at IKEA - Rumpled ELF - see you there Sunday Morning.. bugger they have put up their big brecky back to $3.45!)

Warradale north of the train line ticks all the boxes - transport / shopping hub / Beaches / renovated pubs / Glenelg and good value stocks to renovate or redevelop.

Even a pool.. if they ever get it built

Back