adelaide update

Recently am looking for my 2nd IP and found an interesting change in the REs. they hv started returning calls and today one of the agents did wait for 10 mins after the inspection to show us the house. This was not the case 8 months back when i bought my1st IP.

Seems like things have changed.

How did the house you were looking at compare to the "average" house at Christies Beach? Was it comparable?

:eek:

hi there

yes good views of the ocean from both levels

the google map showed what i thought was a beach, not very big and in shape of cresent (maybe a cove even)

not to worry the water views is the main thing

what do you think of this area

hi timelord

i think if you have ocean views you will do very well there
there is some really good looking coastline there , but just no swimming beach , it is all cliffs

New Areas

Met a senior person in Defence. There is an acquisition of 450 allotments by LMC in the areas of Evanston, Andrews farm and Gawler. Probably new areas to dig gold.

cheers

RP Data press release

According to RP Data National Research Director Tim Lawless, across Australia houses have appreciated by 11.90 per cent on average over the twelve months to December 2007, while units appreciated by an average of 16.87 per cent over the same period. The average Australian property owner has gained just over $50,000 in capital appreciation during 2007.

Adelaide continued to be the strongest performing city where over the year ending December 2007, house values increased by 26.09 per cent and unit values increased by 32.58 per cent. In dollar values this represents an average gain of $82,000 for Adelaide property owners. Despite this exceptional level of growth, Adelaide houses still have the least expensive price tag of any capital city with the median value now at $406,270.

Cheers

Christies Beach house OFI

A quick update : the house i was looking at in CB was opened for inspection on Sunday and was advertised for a lower price bracket. Two weeks back it was advertised for 280-300K and now for 275-290K :).

The RE agent has not accepted my offer yet. Though I have given an offer for 270K.

Are you looking for development down the track FM? If so, have you checked with Onkaparinga council as to whether you can subdivide in the future? Don't know a lot about them, but I know they're stricter with their frontage requirements so may want to check that 18m is enough.

Murray Bridge

What does everyone think about Murray Bridge for investment? My husband and i can only afford around 150K for our first IP purchase so are limited to where we can invest. We have been researching Mount Gambier, Whyalla and Murray Bridge due to this reason. We thought Murray Bridge may be the way to go because of it's proximity to Adelaide for commuters etc.

What do you think about this area? Any thoughts on where it is at in the property cycle?

Thanks,
Happy

Hi FM,

Is that place your looking at the one on Gulf View rd, that one would give you extra serviceablity with the granny flat, but I presume your plan will be to develop the site. Did you have a look at the one in Saltash? If I was buying I would look south of Beach Rd, they seem to sell a bit quicker, and for a slightly higher price.
In the long term it probably won't really matter, they have had their first $1m sale on the Esplanade 2 weeks ago and I suspect there are a few more to follow. It won't be long until those prices start to filter back, but I would say the closer to the water the better.
I've got a place on Taunton Pde that I've just had the existing house demolished and am just waiting for the builder to start building me 3 townhouses, so the higher real estate at Christies goes the happier I'll be (well until I'm looking to buy again):)

Tom

Are you looking for development down the track FM? If so, have you checked with Onkaparinga council as to whether you can subdivide in the future? Don't know a lot about them, but I know they're stricter with their frontage requirements so may want to check that 18m is enough.

Hi Steve, I did chek with the council and here is the message from them verbatim - 'The basic requirement in the Residential Zone with a connection to the Mains Sewer is 300 sqm per allotment with a minimum frontage of 8m for each newly created allotment.'

I guess 18 mtrs should be good enough to sub-divide.

Hi FM,

Is that place your looking at the one on Gulf View rd, that one would give you extra serviceability with the granny flat, but I presume your plan will be to develop the site. Did you have a look at the one in Saltash? If I was buying I would look south of Beach Rd, they seem to sell a bit quicker, and for a slightly higher price.
In the long term it probably won't really matter, they have had their first $1m sale on the Esplanade 2 weeks ago and I suspect there are a few more to follow. It won't be long until those prices start to filter back, but I would say the closer to the water the better.
Tom

I hv sent you a PM.

An agent told me that there were around 150 applications for 30 beach apartments :)

Cheers

Heads up to those who want to buy land in Adelaide this year.

You have Northgate - 11km North East from CBD which should be coming online soon (although for some reason the work on the display homes seems to have stalled - anyone got any ideas?).

Also, announced yesterday by AV Jennings & Urban Construct - they have purchased the former Sheridan factory site at Cheltenham, 8km North West of CBD. They're looking to start selling blocks by September this year. See ann. below. Rough calculations look like an average price of $260k a block for this one: $65M / 260 lots.

AVJennings & Urban Pacific Acquire Former Sheridan Site
Melbourne, 27 March 2008: Leading residential property developer AVJennings
Ltd (ASX: AVJ), today announced that, in joint venture with Urban Pacific
Limited (UPL), a wholly owned subsidiary of Macquarie Group Ltd, it has been
successful in acquiring the former Sheridan site in Woodville, South Australia.
The 15 hectare site is immediately adjacent to the Cheltenham Park Racecourse and
the St Clair recreation parkland. The acquisition will provide beneficial linkages to
these adjacent sites. AVJ and UPL contracted to redevelop the Cheltenham Park
Racecourse site in November 2007.
The Sheridan site (also previously known as the Actil site) is zoned residential and is
development approved. Site remediation is well advanced and further development
can commence immediately. The site will be developed as vacant lots suitable for
both detached or medium density housing. First settlements are expected in
September 2008.
The project will be jointly managed by AVJ and UPL and will complement the
Cheltenham Park Racecourse project.
The site, located just 8 kilometres northwest of the Adelaide CBD and only 5
kilometres from the city beaches, will yield some 250 residential allotments, with an
estimated end value of $65 million. It is well serviced by rail and road transport and
is in close proximity to the major regional shopping centre at Arndale and the
proposed shopping precinct to be developed at the Cheltenham Park Racecourse
site. It is also in close proximity to high quality private and public high schools and
primary schools as well as tertiary education facilities.
In making the announcement, Mr Milkovits, CEO of AVJennings said, “The
development of the site builds on an already strong relationship between AVJ and
UPL and the joint venture partnering is consistent with the Company’s strategy going
forward.”
“We look forward to continuing our successful partnership with AVJennings. This is a
major site that will add significant amenity to the surrounding areas as well,” said Mr
Wayne Rex, CEO of Urban Pacific.

Was speaking to AVJ the other day about Northgate. They were to have moved into their new display homes already but it has been pushed back by about 3 weeks. Not sure if it caused the hold up but there was some changes made to the intended lot sizes. Talk is that it will be 20 blocks per month starting at about $255k. The blocks will be smaller than the already developed stage at Northgate but that's not surprising with what has happened to land value in Adelaide over the last 12 months.
Site works are well underway and they expect sales to start early in the second half of this year.

I personally don't think there will be a shortage of buyers going by the existing house prices there.

Gools

Brilliant Gools, thanks for the update!

I'd heard the same about the lot sizes being smaller. Looking forward to seeing the prices and sizes. The display homes seem to be smaller by the looks of them, and bit closer together as well.

I drive past every morning and see the site works going ahead, but the homes themselves seem to have stalled at the stage of interior walls up, but windows and doors etc. not in yet.

Hi,

thanks for the diligent update about Adelaide.

Any benefit being direct or indirect to our current IP invested in Broadview ??

cheers !
Ming

Back