Advertising a rental as 'pets considered' on re.com

I want my rental to show up on re.com when someone ticks the 'pets allowed' box.
If they do so, it seems that the all ads in this category by default include 'pet friendly' at the bottom, where I would like it to show 'pets considered'.
Anyone know if there such an option on re.com, and if not, would including 'pets considered' in the body of the ad appear to contradict the default 'pet friendly' at the bottom? Small point of detail, but want to make it clear to any prospective tenants.

Want to know what options there are before bringing it up with my PM.

I don't see an issue with the ad stating "pet friendly". It is not saying you will accept ANY pet or ANY application.

Thanks Wylie.
Would it still be prudent to include something in the body of the ad, and if so, any suggestions on how you would word it?

I would leave it to the RE agent, but make sure that they know your wishes, ie. no pig dogs or savage dogs, or dogs that could jump the fences already there.

You could perhaps have them put "small dogs" or "outside dogs" allowed, but if it was me, I would ask that the breed of dog be noted so that you get the final say.

If i know pets are OK in a property I put pets considered on application in script

and then tick the box on realestate.com.com

I did a Unit the other week in New Farm where the owner and body corp allow pets. owner was happy to put this in the header and we had 20 groups inspect on the first open. ended getting an extra $20pw in rent

I always put "pets considered" in the listing text.
Pets have been very freindly to me as a landlord and I like to be pet friendly in return.
Tenants are usually prepared to pay more per week and they tend to stay longer as they find it difficult to move, given the number of landlords who are not pet friendly.

Thanks for the responses all.
I will let the PM know my preferences, and as suggested include the 'pets considered on application' in the main body of the ad.
Will also make sure I know exactly what type/breed of pet the tenant has before approving any application.
Would be nice to get premium rent because of a pet, but guess I'll just be happy if there is a minimal time between tenants.

I've never been bombarded with applicants wanting a place that will take pets. And we make sure our places have always been advertised as "pet friendly" or similar wording.

Perhaps that is because we always seem to get a higher rent than the "normal" for the suburb. I wish someone would offer me $20 per week more than I'm asking :confused:.

I'm jealous of those who get more money than they are asking just because they accept pets :).

Maybe also consider the desexing of the pet ... ie one cat is great, but if she isnt desexed then it leads to more than one ... same with dogs I think I've read on here that someone let their tenants have a dog or two - but they turned out to be breeding and the puppies trashed the garage or something along those lines ... I've always thought that if I the house for rent, I'd be inclined to pets - but only if they are desexed - you can request a certificate from the tenant as vets usually give them out when pets are done. Plus it shows that they are responsible :)

make it part of the conditons of every lease,
as long as the local RTA is not breached, the landlord and tenant can make any binding contract.
<snip>
21.No tenant resident guest or animal shall behave in any manner to cause fear or apprehension to any other tenant resident or guest.
<snip>
37.Dogs are permitted as pet with conditions
  • The keeping of dogs must comply with rule 21 above.
  • Only those dogs referred to in the lease or supplemental clause to the lease may be present in the property at any time.
  • No tenant may obtain a dog prior to gaining written permission of the landlord
  • No non-resident dog may be brought to the property by any tenant resident or guest
  • All dogs must be spayed or neutered and written proof provided to the landlord. In the absence of written proof, the presentation of veterinary ear tattoo, neuter symbol ⚲ shall be accepted
  • The tenant shall keep the dog on leash or long lead, or otherwise under control at all times outside of the apartment. Dogs may not at any time be off leash in public areas of the building or within 12 meters of any doorway.
  • The tenant shall pooper scoop, or remove fecal matter immediately on deposition
  • The landlord retains the right, and the tenant acknowledges the right of the landlord, to remove or order to be removed any resident dog at any time
  • The landlord has absolute discretion to approve or disapprove any application for residence of any dog
  • Registered guide & hearing dogs are exempted from rule 37d above↑.
    Written proof of registration to the landlord or his agent is required.

Back