advertising coming up when i view somersoft

Hi there, has anybody else got this problem when viewing somersoft.

I'm getting ads pop up at top of page and in the middle saying ad by MacVx.

and also certain words like 'investment' 'money' 'property' through out the threads are highlighted in bold blue with a green box/arrow to the top right of the word and you can click on these words to further advertisements.

anyway to get rid of this or is it a new feature?

i use a mac computer so don't think its a virus :confused::confused:

cheers
blair

I think it's a virus.

I had that happen to me before as well, and then every word would link me to an ad site.

Had the laptop formatted and it didn't pop up again.

Probably a browser plugin - check your plugins, disable/remove any that shouldn't be there.

Make sure you have good antivirus, possibly anti-malware as well.

Just went to preferences on safari and deleted the extension that was there causing the problem. cheers guys, i didn't even realise apples could get viruses.

blair

This happened to me before and it was a browser plugin. Beware of downloading software and then, when installing, just clicking through without reading as all sorts of crap is then installed.

Just went to preferences on safari and deleted the extension that was there causing the problem. cheers guys, i didn't even realise apples could get viruses.

blair

Only reason apples didn't get viruses is because barely anyone used it so wasn't worth the effort due to minimal impact.

Now that it is more mainstream,... well, hackers are pretty smart cookies, they will make viruses no matter what anti-virus system is out there.

Smart phones, tablets, laptops, desktop computers, all prime targets these days.

Had my mac since 2008, not one virus yet and absolutely zero antivirus software used over and above the apple system setup.

had a few niggly bits here and there but a reset of the browser on a regular basis has seen it keep going great guns.

In fact have just upped the RAM to 4GB (from2GB) and upgraded to Mountain Lion and wow, such a massive difference it's made.

Re virus. Only time I have had virus is on Windows based machines.

Im Apple through and through, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and the iMac and never had one virus.

We have 2 computers at home. My wife downloads TV programs from the net through torrents and always has pop ups appearing on her computer. (Both with the current Windows machine and the previous Mac)

I refuse to download from torrents site on my computer and never have any problems with pop ups.

We have 2 computers at home. My wife downloads TV programs from the net through torrents and always has pop ups appearing on her computer. (Both with the current Windows machine and the previous Mac)

I refuse to download from torrents site on my computer and never have any problems with pop ups.

Tell her to use Adblock Plus. I use this to block pop ups and download torrents on the reg's.

She (actually, both of you) should also be using something like Malwarebytes regularly (say, once a week) to run scans to clean any potential infections.

I'm going to assume you have anti-virus software installed on both computers.

Actually, everyone should be running this right alongside your anti virus.

*Everyone except you Pete, because...

whos-awesome.jpg

Everyone needs good protection.

I've got better IT skills than most and I've been infected twice (in 10 years). If I ever catch someone writing malware, I'd happily cut off their fingers with some rusty garden shears.

Had my mac since 2008, not one virus yet and absolutely zero antivirus software used over and above the apple system setup.

had a few niggly bits here and there but a reset of the browser on a regular basis has seen it keep going great guns.

In fact have just upped the RAM to 4GB (from2GB) and upgraded to Mountain Lion and wow, such a massive difference it's made.

Re virus. Only time I have had virus is on Windows based machines.

Im Apple through and through, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, and the iMac and never had one virus.

You probably don't even know you have one. Viruses are not like they once were where you would actually see what it was doing because it would alter the OS in some way. Now it's all about phishing information and loading your email with trojans so they can spam you.

Back