Advertising now showing on SS

I'd recommend putting the money you'd have to spend on a good anti virus / anti malware program for Windows XP is better put towards upgrading to Windows 7 which comes with an excellent MS built one for free. Stuff like this is (almost) a thing of the past since Win 7.

I disagree completely.

I've seen Win7 machines completely borked by viruses and malware.

For example - my sister is a high school teacher - school computer networks are fertile breading grounds for viruses and malware and she made the mistake of taking her laptop to school. After spending several days trying to clean the mess, I ended up needing to rebuild the machine from scratch to get rid of everything completely. I then installed some real AV/AM software.

Unless you are in a very low risk environment, I would never trust my computer to Microsoft's built in AV software.

Look at recent test results comparing all the major AV software products ... Microsoft Security Essentials used to be able to hold its own several years ago, but fails miserably in more recent tests - it just doesn't get updated like the dedicated software products (who live and die by their ability to make good security software!).

Might be time to spend some of those dollars on a decent virus scanner :)

Cheers

Jamie

I already have AVG, Adware, Spybot & have also now downloaded the one Sim recommends. Done a scan with the malware one and its still there... about to try the process Sim referred me to.

I already have AVG, Adware, Spybot & have also now downloaded the one Sim recommends. Done a scan with the malware one and its still there... about to try the process Sim referred me to.

I'm just teasing you Rixter :)

Now don't click on any of those adverts....

Cheers

Jamie

I use my laptop with windows 7 for that..I have the same anti-virus & malware programs on it.

This might help prevent viruses and malware but not if you're connecting to a dodgy network because it's easy to disable your AV and firewall. Be careful if you're traveling in the USA, Middle East, Asia, Europe or on a cruise ship. Africa is pretty safe but never connect to Starbucks Wi-Fi anywhere in the world.

Last edited:
Rixter - you have what's called "ads not by this site" malware - if you look carefully at the adverts on the page, you'll notice in small writing under each ad the text "ads not by this site".

You should try the following instructions for removing this:

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-ads-not-by-this-site/

... make sure you have good antivirus and anti-malware software on your computer. Malwarebytes is good.

Thanks Sim,,,all work carried as suggested on the above link you provided. Problem solved. :)

Back