advice about aircon situation

Hello,

I've been renting this unit for almost 4 years. Since I moved in the remote for the aircon/heating unit has never worked. The PM organised technician in the first year and it turned out that at some point before I moved in the aircon unit had been changed to have a manual switchboard (because an internal sensor for the remote broke and instead of repair it, they just turned into manual).
The PM changed over time another technician came a month ago, to confirm the same about the aircon unit, and nothing had been done.
Apparently, being the aircon unit quite old, there is no way of getting the remote working but to change the whole unit.

Now I am quite frustrated with this manual switch (that btw is on the wall at 2m height) and would like to have a remote working with the unit.
How can I approach the PM?
Given that nothing had to be spent on the apartment in the last 3 years, is it reasonable to ask for a new aircon unit?
If not, is it fair to ask for a no rent increase given the time (4 years) spent with the manual switch?
Any comment appreciated

thanks,
Mike

All you do is try.

However it is best to sometimes keep quiet.... especially if you paying below market rent.

Given that nothing had to be spent on the apartment in the last 3 years, is it reasonable to ask for a new aircon unit?
If not, is it fair to ask for a no rent increase given the time (4 years) spent with the manual switch?
1. You can ask for whatever you like. I don't think that it's unreasonable to ask for a new air-con, particularly as the lack of a remote requires you to use a stepladder, which is a very bad idea for any landlord in terms of litigation risk.

2. Again, you can ask for whatever you want in terms of rent, but I don't think this is a strong negotiating strategy. Was there any suggestion when you inspected the property that the air-con was remote-controlled? If, for example, the remote control was still on the wall, you may have an argument that the unit was leased to you as one with remote-control air-conditioning. In this instance, you'd have a right to have a remote-control air-conditioner.

If not, then you rented it with manual air-conditioning and the agreed rent figure took that into account.

Of course you can ask for a new A/C. I have tenants asking all the time for new stoves, toilets etc.
If it's just a case of convenience ie. it works but you'd prefer a remote then you may well have to consider that it would also justify an increase in rental. Would you be prepared to pay another $10 per week? Sometimes a bit of give and take is required.

Cheers,
Dwight

Back