Advice for buying in Sydney

Hey all,
I'm after some advice about suburbs to live in Sydney. I'm currently in Melbourne and have been offered a job in Sydney CBD, but unfortunately know nothing about the suburbs (other than wikipedia and the really good and really bad ones).

I'm against renting and am looking at something around the $500k mark. I know I can't get anywhere near the CBD for that amount but commuting isn't a big deal. The big kicker is that I have an active dog, so that rules out apartments (but hopefully not units/townhouses).

So I'm basically after a 3br house (or townhouse/unit) with some kind of yard (doesn't have to be big) and in a place I can relatively easily commute to Town Hall station. An additional consideration is I have an infant and didn't too much of a crime riddled area.

So far I've looked at Liverpool area (seems a bit far), Seven Hills (not sure about area).

Any thoughts on those suburbs or any better places you Sydneysiders can think of?

Hey all,
I'm after some advice about suburbs to live in Sydney. I'm currently in Melbourne and have been offered a job in Sydney CBD, but unfortunately know nothing about the suburbs (other than wikipedia and the really good and really bad ones).

I'm against renting and am looking at something around the $500k mark. I know I can't get anywhere near the CBD for that amount but commuting isn't a big deal. The big kicker is that I have an active dog, so that rules out apartments (but hopefully not units/townhouses).

So I'm basically after a 3br house (or townhouse/unit) with some kind of yard (doesn't have to be big) and in a place I can relatively easily commute to Town Hall station. An additional consideration is I have an infant and didn't too much of a crime riddled area.

So far I've looked at Liverpool area (seems a bit far), Seven Hills (not sure about area).

Any thoughts on those suburbs or any better places you Sydneysiders can think of?

Heya,

Do you have a commute time in mind? That may narrow down your search a fair bit.

3br house for 500k generally takes you a fair commute out (45 mins+). Could look at south west Sydney and its surrounds, can pick up a pretty decent home for around 500k.

I personally don't like Liverpool as the train line takes forever relative to distance to CBD (feels like its over an hour). You can go down to Minto for around the same commute time. Minto might be a decent shout actually. :)

Cheers,
Redom

Have you looked at any of the suburbs around Penrith? Cranebrook/Werrington/Cambridge Park/South Penrith?

They're fairly nice suburbs for that price bracket and you'll be able to find a 3br with no issues pending on the suburbs. I say pending as the last few open houses I went late last year there seemed to be in a state of frenzy, open houses were on fire and properties were being snapped up on the first weekend.

Would be roughly 1 hour to town hall on the train line.

are you planning to drive to the station and park your car there or just walk there and not have a car at all?

you can get decent townhouses in blacktown for 400-500k. Not the nicest place in the world but not dangerous and a lot is happening there. Quite central in western sydney. I live out in western sydney too so if you need advice on any suburbs don't be afraid to pm me

If you don't know Sydney, then it would be foolish for you to simply jump in and buy something for the sake of it.

What happens if it doesn't work out and you move back to Melbourne, whats your back up plan?

Do some basic planning first, think of some different scenarios and how you would cope in each of those. Then if its still worthwhile, then research and buy.

With the explosion of granny flats in Sydney, you should be able to find something that is near new with a yard for a decent price.... if you're prepared to rent.

Thanks for the reply guys.

With regards to commuting, I'd prefer to be within walking distance of a station and be door to door in about an hour, maybe a little bit longer. Driving to the station might be necessary though.

I have had a look at Penrith and surrounds, but I ruled it out because it just seemed to far away on Google Maps. I was hoping for something closer to Parramatta if I go that end.

Do people commute from Penrith to CBD? If so, any idea on realistic commute times?

Decent point about back up plans. It will be highly unlikely, but I was after the kind of place I could just rent out and forget if I leave it. I wasn't planning on occupying this place for anymore than 3-5 years, before I consider upgrading/moving.

What do you mean about the rent? As in, the cost of $500k mortgage can provide me with a newer and better option in the rental market? As someone who owns an investment property, I'm just dead against paying someone $25k for their mortgage.

Not to mention, I've made the assumption that I can't go too far wrong buying anywhere in Sydney.

Thanks for the reply guys.

With regards to. Driving to the station might be necessary though.

I have had a look at Penrith and surrounds, but I ruled it out because it just seemed to far away on Google Maps. I was hoping for something closer to Parramatta if I go that end.

Do people commute from Penrith to CBD? If so, any idea on realistic commute times?y.

People commute from Wyong/Central Coast, the Illawarra, Southern Highlands, Blue Mountains.

Look at renting to get your mind around Sydney before committing. Use some of your new work colleagues for guidance.

Maybe try Guildford for a townhouse in that price range. Mine was just valued at 500k so it would sell for higher, but there are others in inferior condition that may go for that price. You may be up for a 1-1.5kmwalk/drive to get one that price. Check the strata on rules on animals too. My complex doesn't allow pets and there may be others as archaic around there.

The train ride to the city is under 45mins and trains are pretty regular.

For $500k there are not much options I believe, maybe you want to look at St Marys or Emu plains? I've looked at that area before and it takes about 1 hr train travel to city. the houses are either fairly new or recently been fully renovated, otherwise maybe look at Marayong and Quakers Hill as there should still be some decent 3 bed house for mid 500k if you're lucky, in my own believe I like these two area better than Seven Hills as there are too many high voltage power line towers in seven hills.....

Hey all,

$500K very limited for freestanding houses and you will need to move further than an hr's commute, at least on the north-NW side.
* I can't comment on the south as I'm not as familiar here

Blacktown is still doable (just) however be prepared for a very entry level older fibro/wb house or townhouse here for your $500K. We've bought for many buyers in these areas however prices are still actively moving so what $500K buys you today may look very different in 3-4 mths time.

Looking further afield, down the western suburbs line (towards Penrith) you can pick up houses cheaper however I'd recommend you fly up for a visit/rent or take some short term accommodation first so you can develop a feel for the areas before buying here.

I'd be looking at Minto or Ingleburn. There's good public transport and a park and ride to the train station. Minto has recently upgraded their main shopping centre and there's heaps of take away places around the area. It's a short drive away from Campbelltown and close to the M5.

I understand what you are saying about not wanting to pay someone else's mortgage but thinking a little outside the square, what about spending your $500k somewhere you're likely to see capital growth for the next 3-5 years and renting? There are tax advantages, you will be able to get more for you $ by renting rather than buying and also live closer to the city. The only downsides I can see to this are challenges finding someone who'll allow a dog and being at the whim of your landlord. However, if you're planning on upgrading in a few years anyway being in the market somewhere is more important than being in your own home. Sydney has skyrocketed, the big, unanswerable question is what will happen to CG in Sydney -v- other markets in that time. If you read here, you will see lots of people expect other places to out perform Sydney, you can also undoubtedly do better with yield.

my advice is when investing not to mix a potentially short term PPOR with an IP, unless there is some signfiicant tax/investment gain,

espeically if short term, at that budget, commute time will be an hour, especially if you need a backyard

put it this way

$600k house, you can rent for say $450-$500 per week for example
$600k house to buy mortgage will be $575 per week +1k rates, +1k water rates plus $500 insurnace, plus $300 land lords

a lot of successfull people I know rent dont own a PPOR and just rent, as it works out cheaper

There are express trains from Penrith so although it looks far away it doesn't take that long to get to the city around 50 mins. Some suburbs are geographically closer but take just as long or longer to get to the city by train. The Penrith region has become quite nice in recent years and is still affordable. I live in Ropes Crossing and it's really nice. It's about a 5 min drive to St Marys station or you can catch a bus which takes about 10 mins. There are express trains to the city from St Marys. Homes start at around $500k and it is a new development so the homes are only a few years old.

What do you mean about the rent? As in, the cost of $500k mortgage can provide me with a newer and better option in the rental market? As someone who owns an investment property, I'm just dead against paying someone $25k for their mortgage.

One suggestion as others have mentioned is to rent and with the savings invest somewhere which will give you a better yield.

The end result of buying somewhere with better yields and cheaper rent/closer to work can actually work out quite favorably. On top of this there are tax benefits.

Something to consider.

We live in St Clair which is, just like Ropes Crossing, about 10 minutes from St Mary's station. Hubby catches the train to the City every day. I might be biased, but I love it here because the positioning of the M4 means it's so easy to get around to Penrith, Blacktown, Parramatta, then in the other direction it's close to Liverpool too.

You might be lucky & get something for $500k if it's a small place needing some work, but prices are going up, up, up.

If you rent in Sydney while investing your money somewhere else, can't you also get living from home allowance?

Hey all,
I'm after some advice about suburbs to live in Sydney.

Most people rent for short term, if they are unsure where to live? Buying property is expensive business, so I would suggest that, since you do not know wether you will like living there! After a while you may dislike the place..
I personally would advise north, like Hornsby, great parks, had better CG than Western Sydney, but for that price you would be only able to afford a unit...
Perhaps they allow pets and you are in proximity to a park to take your dog and child out?
However, do short term lease and decide on 5 priorities (travel - distance to work, CG more important, better schools for the child and safety, etc....)
That's what I would do.....:)

There are great suggestions here and I guess this thread reveals the areas that will continue to grow once the boom is over. I'd consider all these places.
A lot of people live on the Central coast and commute to Sydney these days. A lot more back yard for your buck.

Back