Advice/ideas sought from experienced investors and lateral thinkers alike...

Hey, forum folks.

Matt here, son of Les. Long time reader, first time poster... B-)

Advice sought from experienced investors and lateral thinkers alike.

OK, the good news. A property within a stones throw of the CBD, on the market at less than current market value by a motivated vendor - in fact $125K less than what the they originally paid for it.

With more bedrooms than you can poke a stick at, no kitchen and truly out-dated amenities, it has a lot of potential that only a creative mind can see and requires a significant input of TLC. Hence, why it sat for months without an offer… B-)

But, the primary intention for the investment was for it to be a cash cow (a pessimistic $1200/wk in rental yields - a likely $1600/wk), to off-set our other negatively geared, capital growth investments, by offering student accommodation in a market that’s got too many students and not enough places - decent or otherwise - to house them (more than 5 years experience in providing accommodation to students BTW).

Now, the challenge! Despite my bank (NAB) giving many indications (pre-application weeks and even months prior - had been looking a many properties) that this positively geared purchase would be a shoe-in, less than a week before going unconditional (on finance) they’ve come back and told us that they cant do it - unless we go commercial loan (requiring 30% deposit, PLUS other property as security AND a higher rate of interest - I can live with the third one… but the first two, well...).

So, I’m looking for another lender. My two possible sticking points are;
  • The property will be held by a Hybrid Trust.
  • The property is a 'Multi-Unit' dwelling and has previously operated as a boarding house and can again operate as boarding house - or student accommodation (which is different under Qld and BBC law) - NAB now sees this as 'commercial'... in fact, it even has DA for additional rooms...
Any suggestions/recommendations? Have you been here before?

Alternatively, we've got it a great price and there are so many options (some without switching lender)... We can;
  • renovate and convert back to spacious, 5bdrm, 3bthrm, standard house and make an easy $100K (sell or re-finance), or
  • on sell the potential to someone else, with a tidy little mark-up for our efforts to date, or
  • go commercial under better terms (different lender) and/or with an investment partner.
  • try vendor finance in order to go commercial... etc

But time is of the essence. So any ideas, feedback on alternative lenders, legal loopholes (to avoid going commercial), alternative ideas on what to do with the property or proposals from potential 'partners' are welcome.

I’m out the door to hit-up other brokers and banks. And to explore every possible alternative. I look forward to reading your thoughts - thanks for your time. You’re welcome to call if you like…

Regards,

Matt B-)
0411 505 001
0431 587 958

P.S. If you already have existing property (or looking at getting one) and you would like to significantly improve your rental yield - by renting (fully-furnished) to o/seas students, I'm happy to help... But give me a week or so to work through this current challenge first...

Reactions: Les
Matt

NAB lent me on my flock of bats (sorry, block of flats) at resi rates and conditions where other lenders would not.

Other people looking now have apparently talked to St George.

Hi Son Of Les....

Rolf Latham might be able to help you with other lenders.

Why not consider telling further lenders that you are buying the house for a purpose not yet decided, and which include:

- restoring to a single residence...
- you just want to sit on it for a year or two and put it back on the market.

Seriously, once they lend the money, it is none of their business what you do with it.

Based on what you have told the NAB though, I can understand why they want to charge you commercial.

You might also try contacting Salsa on the forum. She has experience with hostel accomodation in the inner southern Bris burbs.

and a tip.....Have you checked the insurances on hostel operations recently?

hi madmatt
this may sound simple but its true the easiest way to get finance is when you don't need it.
so I would find the offer for finance from nab even if you don't have it try to remember all the term and condition, then go to st george, bankwest etc use a couple of brokers( I have been told not to recommend this but it works for me) and tell them that you want them to better the deal you already have and you need the answer quick or your running with nab.
use the I don't need the finance I have it I want you to do better.
and russell a few trees and see what happens you will be very supprised.
I haven't checked your figures so due diligence and all that before investing but thats the best lateral thinking I can give.

Hi Matt

Running on from Gross's post about running the NAB offer past a couple of brokers - .......previous posts by Gross suggest Gross is a creative broker, perhaps he himself can run the deal past St george, bankwest and a few others.............?

ta
rolf

madmatt said:
  • renovate and convert back to spacious, 5bdrm, 3bthrm, standard house and make an easy $100K (sell or re-finance), or
Matt B,
Welcome to the fourm,sorry i can't help with the banking side of things
but i just wanted to ask the question what area is this property in and
what time frame did the vendor hold this property .
Must be hard to loose that amount of money for the vendor, and what do
you think the take off costs to turn this property into a 5 bed,3 bath,
standard will be with the way the BCC operate on these types of
properties, this property is not in Spring Hill i looked at something like that a few months ago..
good luck willair....

Hey folks,

Just a quick note to say thanks for all your comments.

So I thought you'd like to know where we are at;

We got a second extension for finance (and settlement) and have left no stone unturned in relation to finance options. Fortunately, we encountered some brokers that represent non-conventional loaning banks and consortiums - but it's still early days yet in relation to the applications...

this may sound simple but its true the easiest way to get finance is when you don't need it.
so I would find the offer for finance from nab even if you don't have it try to remember all the term and condition, then go to st george, bankwest etc use a couple of brokers( I have been told not to recommend this but it works for me) and tell them that you want them to better the deal you already have and you need the answer quick or your running with nab.

And surprised I was! Thanks grossreal (and Rolf). It is simple, but true. I did exactly that, using the "I don't need the finance I have it I want you to do better or I'll proceed with NAB". Both St George and BankWest were moving mountains to get my custom - from shaving up to 1.25% off the interest (7.5% commerical) or lending an extra 10% (i.e. 80% commercial lend) and with only the purchase property as security.

While unfortunately their offers were outside of my ability in this particular case, I'm certainly going to use this technique again in the future. And it seems more lenders are welcoming Hybrid Trusts - this was certainly our sticking point 2 years ago.

Why not consider telling further lenders that you are buying the house for a purpose not yet decided, and which include:

- restoring to a single residence...
- you just want to sit on it for a year or two and put it back on the market.

Seriously, once they lend the money, it is none of their business what you do with it.

Thanks thefirstbruce, a good idea. Unfortunately, as I've discovered it seems that most banks have the old "it not what you going to do with it, it's what it is now" methodology, and I can only imagine that no matter how you portray it on the application (or purchase contract) it'll come unstuck after the banks inspection, especially if its physical layout clearly portrays its former/current use. Though some may have had better luck... not in my case.

FTR though, I was very candid with NAB from the out-set showing a projected yield from each room, ahead of the application and certainly well before the inspection.

Actually, I found the 'general' limit for most 'conventional' banks for a residential loan seems to be four, non-strata'ed units (dwellings), on/in the one property.

And thanks willair, I'll get back to you... maybe we can swap the details of our finds, especially if I can't get this one off the ground. B-)

Thanks all, take care.

Regards,

Matt B-)
0411 505 001
0431 587 958

Hey, forum folks.

With more bedrooms than you can poke a stick at, no kitchen and truly out-dated amenities

No Kitchen?
That might be an obsticle to the lenders. There was a post recently where the finance deal fell over when they(the lenders) found that there was not a working kitchen in the house(the previous owner had removed it).I don't know but it would be a shame if you jump through finance hoops just to find a lender to be disappointed at the end of the day over something like that.

Simon

hi madmatt,

is the property value mostly made of land value? if it is, it may be worth talking with any lenders about the land value of the property and asking for a normal residential land loan @ standard rates...ignoring the rentability of the premesis located on top of it.

would the vendor be interested in taking an equity share in the property by assisting with the renovation prior to the sale. this would assist you to hit the ground running once settlement occurs and allow him a bit of positive cashflow after the sale.

Glenn

Back