Advice Needed: how to help Mum with 10 years left to retirement?

@Tess85
I still have faith in humanity :)
I gave Mum an email to shoot off to the consultant to reconfirm the cancellation.

@Sheryn
Thanks for the encouraging push - about to PM :)

This particular one was 3 kms from Brissie CBD BowenHill, Newstead area, ~$400K, 1 bd, 1 bath, maybe carport - 10% deposit, build finish in 2 years
For mum it'll be around $200 cashflow negative.

A

This is the bit that scares me.

$400k for a ONE bedder?? :eek: And only maybe a carport?? :eek: And, it's not even built yet.

Run away. You want certainty; not risk at her stage of life.

For that money, I can buy a 3 bed house with subdiv potential, and a double garage, with depreciation.

My advice; she is not far off retiring; the last thing you want is a risky investment.

Don't muck around - buy an existing house in a reasonable position, built after 1987 so she can get some good tax deductions off her PAYE. If purchased well, this could turn a neg cashflow into a pos cashflow after tax.

If she can access some more equity, use a bit more to buy a good solid share portfolio with high yield dividends (preferrably fully franked). I wouldn't use more than 10% of her useable equity for this though.

Being 55 your Mum is eligible to implement a transition to retirement strategy through her super. This will likely allow her to save 10 to 15 percent without sacrificing any of her income. This could be a huge boost to her retirement pool.

What are her current assets and liblaities? There may be a lot of money tied up in her home or other assets that could be put to better use.

Whilst most people here are very anti-financial planner and pro property, I'd really suggest your Mum needs to talk to a good financial planner.

I do know some very good planners in Perth who are pro-property. Happy to PM you some contacts if you like.

This is the bit that scares me.

$400k for a ONE bedder?? :eek: And only maybe a carport?? :eek: And, it's not even built yet.

Run away. You want certainty; not risk at her stage of life.

For that money, I can buy a 3 bed house with subdiv potential, and a double garage, with depreciation.

My advice; she is not far off retiring; the last thing you want is a risky investment.

Don't muck around - buy an existing house in a reasonable position, built after 1987 so she can get some good tax deductions off her PAYE. If purchased well, this could turn a neg cashflow into a pos cashflow after tax.

If she can access some more equity, use a bit more to buy a good solid share portfolio with high yield dividends (preferrably fully franked). I wouldn't use more than 10% of her useable equity for this though.

Pardon the delayed reply BayView and thanks for re-affirming the thought - "don't touch with a barge-pole!"

I'm not that familiar with shares and will have to look into it further. What's considered a "high yield dividend"?

Being 55 your Mum is eligible to implement a transition to retirement strategy through her super. This will likely allow her to save 10 to 15 percent without sacrificing any of her income. This could be a huge boost to her retirement pool.

What are her current assets and liblaities? There may be a lot of money tied up in her home or other assets that could be put to better use.

Whilst most people here are very anti-financial planner and pro property, I'd really suggest your Mum needs to talk to a good financial planner.

I do know some very good planners in Perth who are pro-property. Happy to PM you some contacts if you like.

Interesting! I didn't know about the super thing you mentioned PT.

I need to digest what you've said and understand it tho

Thanks for the enlightenment and offer of the planners.

Pardon the delayed reply BayView and thanks for re-affirming the thought - "don't touch with a barge-pole!"

I'm not that familiar with shares and will have to look into it further. What's considered a "high yield dividend"?

Telstra - 14% grossed up. (Do your own research, its unlikely TLS can maintain this)

All depends tho if it is sustainable, their is a new ETF which has a focus on dividend yield

http://www.morningstar.com.au/article/inv/msci-launches-two-Australian-indices/10150

Back