advice needed on first investment property

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice. I am at a stage where I am ready to invest in my first investment property, I?ve spent a bit of time reading books and checking this forum for days on end.

However I am still very confused as to the exactly area I want to be purchasing in.

I am currently thinking Brisbane, I have come up with this as I think Sydney is already at a peak so buying right now might mean that I limit my capital growth, until it booms again, or it might just bust. Melbourne is following suit, however still some potential in the western suburb, Brisbane has definitely not seen that much capital growth in a VERY VERY long time, so maybe I buy now in the hopes of it growing in the next 5-10 years. Im planning on a buy and hold model so I do want something that is low cost and low risk.

I am familiar with all those 3 areas, lived in Sydney before moving to Brisbane (where I grew up) and am currently now living in Melbourne.

So I have concluded Brisbane. My budget is tiny in comparison to some of your budgets. Maybe 300- 350K. I don?t want to invest too much for my first property, keen to have a low risk/low cost profile. The suburbs I have narrowed it down are as follows and all have reasonably low vacancy rates:

3 bedder houses in Woodridge or Beenleigh; or
2 bedder units in inner city (Annerley, Albion, Cooporoo)

(note I grew up south of Brisbane the area I know best)

I have considered some suburbs like Melton south (which I note not a lot of you have been fans of), Werribee, Hoppers crossing in Melbourne too.

Any advice on my approach would be highly appreciated!

I take it you're after CG...as such have you thought about villas/townhouses in or adjacent to a satellite CBD somewhere around the Brisbane southside? These are the CG hubs.

The trick with the first one is to buy something hassle free. If your budget is $300-350k and you're looking at Annerley, Coorparoo etc then you're limiting yourself to a run down unit probably needing constant repairs. If I was you I'd look at areas like Kallangur or even Burpengary. Newer 3 bed units available which means reasonable yield, reasonable tax depreciation and steady CG over time. Also means much less money spent on repairs and related headaches.

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice. I am at a stage where I am ready to invest in my first investment property, I?ve spent a bit of time reading books and checking this forum for days on end.

However I am still very confused as to the exactly area I want to be purchasing in.

I am currently thinking Brisbane, I have come up with this as I think Sydney is already at a peak so buying right now might mean that I limit my capital growth, until it booms again, or it might just bust. Melbourne is following suit, however still some potential in the western suburb, Brisbane has definitely not seen that much capital growth in a VERY VERY long time, so maybe I buy now in the hopes of it growing in the next 5-10 years. Im planning on a buy and hold model so I do want something that is low cost and low risk.

I am familiar with all those 3 areas, lived in Sydney before moving to Brisbane (where I grew up) and am currently now living in Melbourne.

So I have concluded Brisbane. My budget is tiny in comparison to some of your budgets. Maybe 300- 350K. I don?t want to invest too much for my first property, keen to have a low risk/low cost profile. The suburbs I have narrowed it down are as follows and all have reasonably low vacancy rates:

I have considered some suburbs like Melton south (which I note not a lot of you have been fans of), Werribee, Hoppers crossing in Melbourne too.

Hi Mate,

I've read through and offered some H&L package in Park Ridge, QLD it is 30 minutes drive to Brisbane CBD (28km from Brisbane CBD) and mostly H&L package is under $400k and starting from $280k. There will be a huge development in the area.

here's some more information:

Complete_Builders_Packages.pdf - 12.8 MB
Park_Ridge_Urbis_Report_(HR).pdf - 3.2 MB
The_Rise_E-brochure.pdf - 3.7 MB
The_Rise_Stage_Plan.pdf - 1.3 MB

I've read through and offered some H&L package in Park Ridge, QLD it is 30 minutes drive to Brisbane CBD (28km from Brisbane CBD) and mostly H&L package is under $400k and starting from $280k. There will be a huge development in the area.

"Huge development" is not a selling point, it's a reason to avoid the area.

Why is that Peter ?
isn't that sign of gentrification ?

At least this is not an OTP apartment in Brisbane CBD which is over supplied.

Depends what the huge development is but basically the influx of new stock (especially if massive stock like you indicated) can cause an imbalance in supply and demand for an area for a period of time, therefore limiting growth potential for that period, IMO.

Hi there,

Hi Eks,

Have you considered the Logan central area? I've been reading up from other SS members that would be a good area to invest into. It's a little further out from Brisbane and since it's within your price range of $300k - $350k it may be worthwhile to look into. In addition, you may find some of the rental yields quite reasonable that may just cover / breakeven with holding your property. Here's a discussion that's been going on inside the forum:
http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80605&highlight=logan+central&page=3

I'm personally looking to buy in this area as well, as I have that budget as well.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

I take it you're after CG...as such have you thought about villas/townhouses in or adjacent to a satellite CBD somewhere around the Brisbane southside? These are the CG hubs.

Hi, yes I'm after CG but I also want a reasonable return. By satellite towns do you mean mt gravatt/eight miles planes? I think the properties there are above my price range. I'm open to suggestions of course.

The trick with the first one is to buy something hassle free. If your budget is $300-350k and you're looking at Annerley, Coorparoo etc then you're limiting yourself to a run down unit probably needing constant repairs. If I was you I'd look at areas like Kallangur or even Burpengary. Newer 3 bed units available which means reasonable yield, reasonable tax depreciation and steady CG over time. Also means much less money spent on repairs and related headaches.

I agree with hassle free, will look into the suburbs you mentioned. Thank you

Hi Mate,

Thank you but I'll pass on the house and land recommendation. I am after a preexisting property.

Hi Mate,

JohnHenry,

I'm confused with your posts. In the other thread, you state this: "Because so far, I'm not a big fan of OTP or brand new IP due to the overstock risk."

Furthermore, I doubt you can get from Park Ridge to the CBD in 30 minutes, at any time you would reasonably wish to get there. Oh, and Park Ridge High School.

Hi

Hi,

The most important thing is to "do" and "learn" your first investment property
is going to be your foundation and learning point. What you do wrong in this property can help you learn for future investments.

The biggest thing I see, is when a person is trying to buy their first IP they are trying to look for the perfect property. Be time they do this, they usually loose out or not do anything.

Have a budget and the most important thing to ask your self what are you trying to achieve out of this property?

Hi,

The most important thing is to "do" and "learn" your first investment property
is going to be your foundation and learning point. What you do wrong in this property can help you learn for future investments.

The biggest thing I see, is when a person is trying to buy their first IP they are trying to look for the perfect property. Be time they do this, they usually loose out or not do anything.

Have a budget and the most important thing to ask your self what are you trying to achieve out of this property?

What????????

Hi, yes I'm after CG but I also want a reasonable return. By satellite towns do you mean mt gravatt/eight miles planes? I think the properties there are above my price range. I'm open to suggestions of course.

Yeah, upper mt gravatt, carindale, etc.....look to where the big shopping towns like westfields are.

JohnHenry,

I'm confused with your posts. In the other thread, you state this: "Because so far, I'm not a big fan of OTP or brand new IP due to the overstock risk."

Furthermore, I doubt you can get from Park Ridge to the CBD in 30 minutes, at any time you would reasonably wish to get there. Oh, and Park Ridge High School.

Bran,

I'm not living in Brisbane area so I don't know how long does it take from Park Ridge to CBD.

Anyhow, with my statement regarding OTP was for OTP apartment, this time it is different, due to Park Ridge is H&L package. Land Appreciate, Building Depreciate hence I begin to understand the benefits of investing H&L package instead of apartment.

Bran,

I'm not living in Brisbane area so I don't know how long does it take from Park Ridge to CBD.

Anyhow, with my statement regarding OTP was for OTP apartment, this time it is different, due to Park Ridge is H&L package. Land Appreciate, Building Depreciate hence I begin to understand the benefits of investing H&L package instead of apartment.

The vacant and developable land from Park Ridge extends west through Jimboomba, pretty much all the way to Charleville. The area is akin to the development at yarrabilba (did you post on that one as well)? I wouldn't touch either.

The only H and L that has seemed worth considering is the North Lakes stuff, but I take what I hear with a grain of salt, I have done no DD, I don't know how far it is from the CBD, and thus I won't be recommending it to anyone.

Good luck with your search OP and JH.

The vacant and developable land from Park Ridge extends west through Jimboomba, pretty much all the way to Charleville. The area is akin to the development at yarrabilba (did you post on that one as well)? I wouldn't touch either.

The only H and L that has seemed worth considering is the North Lakes stuff, but I take what I hear with a grain of salt, I have done no DD, I don't know how far it is from the CBD, and thus I won't be recommending it to anyone.

Good luck with your search OP and JH.

Many thanks for the clarification and comments Bran. Since I'm not living in the Brisbane area I wouldn't know about this.

Initially I didn't believe in the Brisbane OTP apartment due to the over supply issue or maybe poor quality build, but in this instance it is House so it has a land component which is appreciating over the time.

Therefore as you said, I shouldn't be worrying about buying in Park Ridge.

Thanks man.

Rixter, ive seen you mention "satellite CBD' a few times and give examples, however, what does it actually mean?

Do you mean the geographical centere of the city? for example, Parramatta of Sydney?

Would love some clarification on this as im certain your advice is worth taking!

Rixter, ive seen you mention "satellite CBD' a few times and give examples, however, what does it actually mean?

Satellite CBD's are suburban hubs scattered around metropolitan areas of state capitals.

Areas containing good supporting infrastructure with main arterial roads in/out of the suburb, with public transport hubs, high employment, major shopping precincts, good educational, medical & recreational facilities..

All the things people want to be located close by to and/or within easy commute. This bolsters the demand side of the supply/demand equation which in turn puts upward pressure on asking prices.

Yes Parramatta in Sydney's metro area is an example of one. As mentioned, some examples in Brisbane's southside are Upper Mt Gravatt, Carindale, Sunnybank etc

In 40-50 years gone by it used to be where you were located in proximity to the Capital City CBD. Due to population growth and urban sprawl the metropolitan has increased size dramatically.

Now we have satellite CBD's emerging & scattered around metro areas the need to be located close by to the Capital City CBD is not as vital.

The demand now days is for areas in close proximity to these satellite cbd's instead to facilitate peoples work, rest & play.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back