Advice on dealing with our surveyor

Hi all, we are hoping we can get some advice on our dilemma,

We engaged our surveyor at the beginning of November to carry out a strata subdivision of 2 villas that we built. We lodged all necessary paperwork with him late November and it was lodged by him with LPI in the first few days of December. We were told that this should be turned around within 2 weeks. We contacted the surveyor mid december for an update and had no correspondence from him... at all, and he would not return several calls/msgs.

We let it go until after new year thinking it was a busy period and when we could not get in touch with the surveyor again after new years, mid january, we called LPI directly and were told the application had been sent back to the surveyor as it needed an extra signature from council as there was a planning agreement over the land. The surveyor had this for 2 weeks!! and had not informed us of this. It took another 2 weeks for him to see council about the issue. However, council had already approved the subdivision DA and councils opinion was that they did not need to provide any further approval. From here the surveyor was to get in touch with LPI to try and resolve the issue. Fast forward 4 weeks and he rarely returns any calls or messages and tells us that LPI are not getting back in touch with him?? For 4 weeks! Not likely!

Does anybody have any tips or advice in dealing with this situation? We have tried to be patient and not lose our cool, we have tried to convey the message that we are all working together as a team to resolve this but we are at our wits end. All fees were paid promptly at his request at the start of December before initial lodgement.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, we are hoping we can get some advice on our dilemma,

We engaged our surveyor at the beginning of November to carry out a strata subdivision of 2 villas that we built. We lodged all necessary paperwork with him late November and it was lodged by him with LPI in the first few days of December. We were told that this should be turned around within 2 weeks. We contacted the surveyor mid december for an update and had no correspondence from him... at all, and he would not return several calls/msgs.

We let it go until after new year thinking it was a busy period and when we could not get in touch with the surveyor again after new years, mid january, we called LPI directly and were told the application had been sent back to the surveyor as it needed an extra signature from council as there was a planning agreement over the land. The surveyor had this for 2 weeks!! and had not informed us of this. It took another 2 weeks for him to see council about the issue. However, council had already approved the subdivision DA and councils opinion was that they did not need to provide any further approval. From here the surveyor was to get in touch with LPI to try and resolve the issue. Fast forward 4 weeks and he rarely returns any calls or messages and tells us that LPI are not getting back in touch with him?? For 4 weeks! Not likely!

Does anybody have any tips or advice in dealing with this situation? We have tried to be patient and not lose our cool, we have tried to convey the message that we are all working together as a team to resolve this but we are at our wits end. All fees were paid promptly at his request at the start of December before initial lodgement.

Thanks in advance.

The problem with building surveyors is that it is legally easier to divorce your partner than it is to terminate your agreement with them.

Drop into their office.

I had the same problem with my surveyors. Mine was compounded by the fact I was interstate and couldn't drop in. Has been the most stressful part of the subdivision process where it shouldn't have been as the DA was already sorted before they were appointed.

I got their mobile numbers and called them from my parents home phone. They answered. Dunno whether these guys are overworked or just work on their own timelines.

The development is 4 hours north of Sydney so it's been hard to manage from afar, though we are visiting in 2 weeks time and will casually pop in.

I have spoke with agents and a few builders in the area and all comments suggest he is very busy at the moment and ticking a few people off (despite sorting our application in quick time to receive his payment before lodgement :rolleyes: )

I also know he is working on an 80 townhouse development for a Chinese group which is a whole other story, considering the area.

Back