advice on my situation please

Hi all

Need some advice on a situation i have.*

I have a potential 4 townhouse site in the northern suburbs of melbourne. Im trying to get development approval but its proving to be a bit of a mission and looks like it will be going to vcat.*

The site was brought for 446,000 in sept 2013. Its risen in value now, i think if i gave it to a good agent i could get about 480-500k for it.*

Purchase costs and development *fees so far im in for approx 500k. I still have about 20k left in costs to get a development approval from vcat ( its fairly certain i would get this, but not 100%)*

At the moment the property is being rented for 260 pw, with a 500k loan thats obviously highly neg geared, but this is not a burden on me as i have another ip with a very low lvr so cashflow positive, small loan for ppor and a good income.

If i did get a permit for 4 townhouses im looking at around 1.2mil in development costs and around 1.34k in total end value of 4 townhouses. Its nice too make 140k *but for 1.2mil investment the profits should be higher and it dosnt account for cgt/gst plus selling costs etc.

The area seems to be pretty solid at the moment and there could be more growth bit im not sure of this as tgere has already been a fair bit.

So to sum up its not the worse situation, im just looking for advice on other peoples thoughts and feedback on wheter i should sell and lose a bit and push through with the development that will make 140k profit of all goes well, but permits are not certain and costs can always blowout.

Im young and and to keep investing so i also have to take into account im paying tax if i buy and sell again, but at the same time even if this investment can still show profit, its been dragging out for so long that i could be investing money elsewhere and using the capital in a better way.*

Appreciate all your feedback.

Cheers

Blair

Does your 1.2m dev costs inc the 450k + stamps + subdiv cost base?

Even if it does, it looks like a loss making venture to me. You are at 10% margin which is eroded by GST and CGT

Could it be that you might be better off building a higher end duplex on the site rather than shooting for the townhouses if your margin is so slim?

As a bonus it would probably go through council easier and you could avoid CGT/GST that way "it's my PPOR". (Update - I just noticed you're in WA and this is in Vic.... So this may idea of making it your PPOR may not be feasible)

Or perhaps just do a subdivision on the land (eg. Battle axe) if the land lends itself to that kind of subdivision. Food for thought.

Does your 1.2m dev costs inc the 450k + stamps + subdiv cost base?

Even if it does, it looks like a loss making venture to me. You are at 10% margin which is eroded by GST and CGT

Yes 1.2m coats are inclusive of everything including purchase price.

Could it be that you might be better off building a higher end duplex on the site rather than shooting for the townhouses if your margin is so slim?

As a bonus it would probably go through council easier and you could avoid CGT/GST that way "it's my PPOR". (Update - I just noticed you're in WA and this is in Vic.... So this may idea of making it your PPOR may not be feasible)

Or perhaps just do a subdivision on the land (eg. Battle axe) if the land lends itself to that kind of subdivision. Food for thought.

4 townhouses is the moat profotable option. I could get 3 townhouses without going to vcat but the profit im making is in builuilding that extra 4th townhouse

What about getting the permit and then possibly selling the it after that?

Hey tb yip thats also an option, im waiting to here back from a couple of agents but i suspect that will get me a sale price of 540-550k which would mean break even approx.

Back