Advice on next move

Hi first time poster looking for some advice.
Looking to buy a 2 bedroom unit for ppor that is scheduled for auction next week. It is listed as $380K plus and at the time if listing the agent was pretty confident they would go to auction with no offers accepted prior.
I called her up earlier in the week and she said the open for inspections had been fairly modest and the vendor was now open for offers prior to auction.
Do I believe this or take it as purely a tactic to tempt me to show my hand with a offer before auction?
I understand I could show my cards too early prior to auction but on the flip side I could make an aggressive unconditional offer and get it at a price I'm comfortable with?
What are some peoples thoughts on a good strategy from here? Make an offer or sit tight and wait for the auction

I wouldn't put in a too high offer though as you let them know your buy price.
They are iunlikely to accept your offer this close to auction and you may cause yourself grief.
If there are no other (or few) bidders they can excercise their vendor bid to drive the price up to your offer or higher.

Personally I would not put in an offer as I think you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Let them know you are interested and if it's not going to auction to contact you.

The agent told me today that if an offer was put in prior to auction, all interested parties would be informed and asked to put an offer in writing too.
All offers would then be presented to the vendor, so like a silent auction.
This really defeats the whole purpose, in my opinion may as well wait it out till auction so I at least know where I stand in regards to the other interested parties

The agent told me today that if an offer was put in prior to auction, all interested parties would be informed and asked to put an offer in writing too.
This really defeats the whole purpose, in my opinion may as well wait it out till auction so I at least know where I stand in regards to the other interested parties

The agent doesn't work for you.

You can put in a lowball offer and say you have another auction to go to on the same day so won't be bidding.

Depends how hot the area is and how comfortable the vendor is in going to auction.

The Y-man

Back