Advice on these quality issue please

Hi all

I recently just brought a villa in Dec 2012 and some issues have occurred. I did not build this villa, but brought it off the seller that build the villas on there behalf. They own the land with a house back then and decided to knock It down.

I'm unsure what my rights are in regards to this. I did get a building inspection and most issues like holes in the wall that required mortar fill was done. and the seal wall flashing in other areas was picked up rectified. as far as I could see. There other one well I had to take the agents word as I not very good and climbing roofs.

after living in it I have noticed some issue mainly with the seal wall flashing I can actually see it erode away and see it exposed from some shot.

I did get a ladder to take some shots but It was not long enough and was not confident enough to climb on the roof.

other thing that concerned me was that the building/supervisor said that in Perth they don't paint the top metal frame of any door. however the wall joining up seems to require come attention.

The tile grout was also a big thing for me its really obvious and well how do I remove it. or how can they remove it.

what are my legal rights in this respect. he said the seal roof he just paint over it ???

my maintenance period end July 2013 I will be contacting him tomorrow but I feel his just going to do a patch job when It should really be done properly.

photo in the link below

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151622106156584.1073741826.522531583&type=1&l=57d1962ce1

Whoa I just looked at all your photos and that's ****!

The tops of doors frames should be painted.
The plastering around the window frame should be flush - not sure why you asked a plumber about this though - your plasterer and painter are responsible
I don't think that's grout - it looks more like a sealant that you would normally use around the bath edge - I don't think I've seen it at floor level before but I haven't seen that many
Sorry no idea about the roof stuff but it looks ****

That looks like crap.

That's not grout btw its silicon sealant by the looks. And they did a crap job of it.

Who are these retards that did this work? Very very poor. Did you have in writing from the agent that the issues would be fixed?

Hi Westminster,

I asked the plumber as he was there to fix drain in the guest bathroom that was overflowing back up the middle drain, this was also a reported case but they had a dogy plumber that did not do it right the first time. So this second mob plumbers that came up hired by the builders to fix all the stuff ups.

The Supervisor was pretty clear that no painter in WA paints the tops. I even asked another guy that build two years ago he said that don't either its weird.

is there sort of like a building Ombudsman of some sort. i'm in a situation that well I didnt build it but brought it from a seller, really I should be chasing the seller just gets too hard.

I don't think you have any recourse with the seller, but if the seller was also the builder, isn't there normally some kind of builders warranty against defects such as this?

I'm not familiar with the WA processes, but that's super-shoddy workmanship. Apart from the issue of whether it's up to standards, who could have such a lack of pride in their work to leave these jobs in that state? Ugh.

Did you have a pre-purchase inspection, and if so, were any of these issues highlighted?

In any case, I'd be contacting the WA Building Commission ASAP to ask them about the best way to proceed. In particular, they do have a Dispute Resolution process that I suggest you investigate.

Update I have spoken to the building commission on the phone and they reckon I have a case. Not being entirley sure I actually went to the office and got an inspector to take a quick look at the photos.

Basically the seal roof flashing is a main issue and everything also just as important.

the guys on the phone told me that doors in "Wet Areas" top and bottom should be painted or coated due to being in a bathroom or laundry where water can get near the door. Now while checking the door frame I could see that it was not painted or coated. this will be another issue I will highlight in my email to them.

going to take a few more photos and send it and highlight that i have spoken to the buildings commission and will lodge a complaint if things are not done properly.

Perp, that seal was flashing was highlighted in the inspection that did address one part over the laundry where I could see it in plain view, but have attempted to hide the other you see in the photos, as if someone is going to get a ladder and check so they may think. Building inspector said all that rubble needs to be cleaned etc.

Back