Advice please

Hi all
New to forum but looks like a great place to get some advice.
I recently relet my property to a new tenant.
1 month after she has moved in I get a call from my property manager saying the tenant has called and requested that the locks be changed as during the night, she has awoken to find someone trying to gain entry via the front door and claimed that they were using a key.
The previous tenants returned all keys when they vacated and were an older couple so I seriously doubt it was them trying to get in.

She is a single mum that recently split from her husband. She claims she called the police at the time, however when I requested a copy of the police report they advised that they had no record of a report.

I advised the PM that I didn't think it was my repos ability to change the locks which were in perfect condition. ( the house is only 2 years old). However if she wanted to get them changed that wasn't one as long as she cover the cost.

Today I got a call from the PM stating that the locks had been changed and I was liable for the cost. (Approx $300). I am not happy to pay the cost as I don't think it's my responsibility and suspect she has given a key to her ex, but has now changed her mind.

Anyone know where I might stand on this and where I can get further advice.

Thanks

HI Fernfurn
Yes I know, however they have gone ahead and changed all the locks against my express permission.

Now they want me to pay.
Its not the money so much. I already dropped the rent by $10 pw on request from then temant at application.

Just dont agree that I should eb liable.

I would not think you are liable without your permission as well.

Depending on your property manager and who authorised the job. If the tenant authorised the job then they will be liable to pay UNLESS they take you to QCAT and upon presentation of both arguments the judge will rule. If the Property Manager authorised the job then either yourself OR the property manager would be liable.

As a property manager myself I would have indicated that to the tenant to say that if they wanted to change the locks that would be up to them. :)

This raises a very good question as any past owner or friend or tradesman who once had keys can easily get the cut at any hardware store, thereby providing access for the future.

Owners/REA give us say 5 keys and get 5 back. But how many were cut?

In the building game they have builder locks which means the keys can be used by anyone until the master and final key is inserted which resets the tumbler.

All ways wondered about this one.

Peter

Given that you stated that the locks were not to be changed unless at the tenants expense I would say that your PM or tenant can wear the costs.

Not sure of the state that your property is in but in VIC the tenants are welcome to change the locks (at their own cost) if they feel the need, however, they need to provide a copy of the new keys to the agent / owner ASAP and also advise that they have in fact changed the locks.

Given that your property is only 2 years old I find it hard to believe that someone that your tenant hasn't given keys too has access to the property! Take it up with the department manager as the PM has carried out work you didn't authorise, make the company foot the bill, then, find a new agent who isn't so free about spending your money! :)

This is why it is a good idea to back every phone call up with an email saying "Just to confirm our conversation where I said don't change the locks unless the tenant is willing to pay"...

This is why it is a good idea to back every phone call up with an email saying "Just to confirm our conversation where I said don't change the locks unless the tenant is willing to pay"...

Agree.

Email the PM and their licensee thanking them for advising you but reminding them that you did not give approval as per conversation with X on date Y.

If the tenant arranged the locks, she can pay.

If the agency arranged the locks, they can pay.

I would also request a copy of the police report of the incident. If the tenant felt that they were genuinely at risk, they would have lodged one.

This is why we have started Restricted Master keying all of our properties. Our Master Key will open all properties but the key tenants are given will only open that particular property. Doesn't cost that much to do and ensures that copies of the key can not be cut (illegal for a locksmith to cut a copy of the key without a signature matched letter from the primary key controller authorising it). If a tenant requires an additional key we charge $50 for another key to be cut, (Restricted keys cost between $15 - $25 per copy depending on the key profile).

This is why we have started Restricted Master keying all of our properties. Our Master Key will open all properties but the key tenants are given will only open that particular property. Doesn't cost that much to do and ensures that copies of the key can not be cut (illegal for a locksmith to cut a copy of the key without a signature matched letter from the primary key controller authorising it). If a tenant requires an additional key we charge $50 for another key to be cut, (Restricted keys cost between $15 - $25 per copy depending on the key profile).

Good Idea.

So you know you have X no of key s to each IP but what happens if they dont return the same number of vacation? Or claim they have lost one? Do you take the rekeying out of the bond?

Peter

Good Idea.

So you know you have X no of key s to each IP but what happens if they dont return the same number of vacation? Or claim they have lost one? Do you take the rekeying out of the bond?

Peter

Absolutely. We have it clearly written into the tenancy agreements that tenants are responsible for the return of all keys and that failure to do so will involve all property locks being re-keyed at Tenants expense. If they've lost one I wouldn't normally have rekeying done until they vacate unless they had the address attacked to the key.

Its a bit of a grey area in this instance.

Tenant is responsible to pay for the lock if they wish to change it. .... but

Sounds like she is using the old its a safety issue theme which means you as an owner will be responsible for paying it because you must provide a safe and secure property.

Tenants are well educated these days and know how to milk it where they can.

Police report number?

hello,
Ask the police for a police report number.
If they cant give you one, then you can't confirm that any unauthorised entry was attempted.
I doubt any insurer would pay a claim like this without a Police number.

I hope this helps
Seaford Sunshine

Thank you'll for your replies.
As stated in my original thread, the police are not aware of any report being made, I have instructed the PM that I will not be paying.

Back