Advice/recs sought: bricking in carport

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, and also recommendations as to tradespeople who you might recommend for the above task.

Our PPOR is a double brick and tile single story house in Gwelup, WA. The carport is under the main roof, but it has wooden pillars and the 'walls' are wooden lattice. There is an automatic panel carport door on the front of it, which we're happy to leave in situ.

We have been intending for a long time to get it bricked in, not just to add value but also because that way we won't need to paint the woodwork, and for security (not that we've had any problems since we've been here). (Bricking in will include replacing the wooden pillars with bricks.)

So yes, does anyone have any tips, advice etc that I should be aware of? Also, if you know someone who you would recommend to do the actual bricklaying part, that would be fantastic.

Thanks all :eek:

Hi Jen

First and foremost it would be important to check if you are allowed to brick it in. In some cases, depending on the proximity of the carport to the boundary fence (they are usually VERY close) it creates a fire hazard in removing the couple of metres of open space.

I had one the other day where someone had closed in a carport which was against building regs. The solution turned out to be relatively low-cost; the door that goes from the hallway of the house into the carport area had to be changed to a solid door (as opposed to a hollow door) with a self-closing device.

A good place to start would be to check with council.

Check with your local council regarding the necessity of approval to ensure the change is documented and all approvals in place. This will ensure you add value when the time comes to sell.

And the property will be sold one day, even if you have no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future. Set things up correctly now to avoid potential problems later.
Marg

Thanks Jac & Marg, that's exactly the sort of feedback I wanted - stuff that I didn't know that could negatively impact on the property when we come to sell it :)

And Marg, you're more correct than you know - I can't see us staying here for more than the next 5 or so years.

Thanks again guys :D
Keep 'em coming!

Hahah sorry datto, didn't mean to make anyone feel threatened :D

Still hoping for recommendations for tradies who could take on the job... any suggestions gratefully received!

There is a guy my parents used who lives in the over 55s near the shops. He does paving and walls. I'm sure he'd be able to do it for you.

I'll PM you his details - I don't have his phone number but I can probably get it off my parents.

Back