Advice wanted on cheap kitchen reno see photos

Hi this is my kitchen. I will rent out my house so it will actually be an IP.
I want to makeover the kitchen without replacing the cabinets if possible. I.e. I dont want to do a total reno. I just want to modernise it and get a good rent.

I plan to:
Replace the splashback as I am getting the floors tiled anyway.
Get a new wall oven.
Get a new stove top
Replace the cupboard door handles.
Put up new lights.
Put up wooden blinds.
Perhaps paint the cupboards and cabinetry.
Perhaps replace the taps

Is that what you would do on a low budget? Could you please provide feedback and ideas.

Issues:
1.Could I just paint over the ugly brown tiles?
2. If I cant get a stove top that will fit in the hole from the old stove top (90cmx40cm) what would you recommend I do?
3. Similar with the stove, I would need to 'pack' any new stove i.e. replace the panel it sits in because new wall ovens are a lot smaller. Is that hard to do?
4. Has anyone ever gone with those spray-on bench surfaces that makes it look like granite? Is that good value?
5. Is it easy to replace those kind of taps. Would it make a difference?

Thanks for your input

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 104743994bl1205733698.jpg
    104743994bl1205733698.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 97
I plan to:
Replace the splashback as I am getting the floors tiled anyway.
Get a new wall oven.
Get a new stove top
Replace the cupboard door handles.
Put up new lights.
Put up wooden blinds.
Perhaps paint the cupboards and cabinetry.
Perhaps replace the taps

Is that what you would do on a low budget? Could you please provide feedback and ideas.

Issues:
1.Could I just paint over the ugly brown tiles?
2. If I cant get a stove top that will fit in the hole from the old stove top (90cmx40cm) what would you recommend I do?
3. Similar with the stove, I would need to 'pack' any new stove i.e. replace the panel it sits in because new wall ovens are a lot smaller. Is that hard to do?
4. Has anyone ever gone with those spray-on bench surfaces that makes it look like granite? Is that good value?
5. Is it easy to replace those kind of taps. Would it make a difference?

Thanks for your input
1. For the number of tiles you have, twould be just as cheap to retile. You can get cheap end of line tiles, from most of the "end of line" tile places. Painting would look terrible methinks. Tiling is easy peasy job.
2. Get a new bench top. I believe you can put on a new laminex type cover, over the old one. That way it doesn't matter if your new cook top is bigger or smaller.
3. Nah, not hard to do. Have you thought about replacing the oven, and then making a shelf above it for someone to put their microwave on. No need to pack then.
4. Nah. See my answer to 2.
5. Yes, and would make a huge difference.

Sounds like you will have a lovely looking kitchen by the time you are finished. Looking fwd to the after photos.

2. Get a new bench top. I believe you can put on a new laminex type cover, over the old one. That way it doesn't matter if your new cook top is bigger or smaller.
3. Nah, not hard to do. Have you thought about replacing the oven, and then making a shelf above it for someone to put their microwave on. No need to pack then.

Awesome idea about the microwave shelf. Thanks!
Where would I begin in relation to the laminex covers? That sounds like a good idea. A kitchen shop I guess?

Awesome idea about the microwave shelf. Thanks!
Where would I begin in relation to the laminex covers? That sounds like a good idea. A kitchen shop I guess?

Very welcome.
It's just sheets of laminex stuff that they cut to size for you. Then glue it over the top....measuring hole for new cook top first.

Would probably look better and be less easy to stuff up just buying new benchtops to size, and then cut holes as appropriate for a new cooktop and sink. New sinks can make quite a difference too, and are quite cheap.

Are you replacing the doors?
If you are getting a new benchtop, don't get a standard one if you are keeping the doors.
We renovated a kitchen with the think benchtop and wanted to keep the doors as they weren't that old.
We ended up getting a new bench but kept it thick but rolled it so it looked more modern. Difficult to explain. We did it 13 years ago and it has served the purpose well.
If you tell me how to add the little photo attachment I'll try to do that.

Lynee pls explain

Are you replacing the doors?
If you are getting a new benchtop, don't get a standard one if you are keeping the doors.
QUOTE]

Could you please explain a bit more. What do you mean dont get a standard one? How would that affect the doors.
I am going to try and keep the doors.

To attach you go to Manage attachments when you are writing your post it is below where you write your text

Hi, Our benchtop (and I'd say yours) are 7 1/2cm thick (on the sides).

New benchtops are only about 3 1/2 cm thick which means there will be a gap of 4 cm between where the door finishes and the bench starts. i.e above the door.

I'll take a photo and try that now.

trying.

You can see the difference between the 2 benchtops (I hope).

I hope that makes sense. We didn't want to get new door as the time so got the thicker bench. Due for a new kitchen now but it's done it's job.

Attachments

• P1050659.jpg
    P1050659.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 81
  • P1050660.jpg
    P1050660.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 91
Back