Affordable suburbs in Western Sydney??

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some help. Transferring to Sydney next year from Brisbane, I will be working in Castle Hill and my friend will be working in windsor. Looking to buy somewhere convenient for both of us.

Which suburbs are safe and a good buy in the surrounding areas? I don't mind travelling 30-45mins to work.

I was looking into buying an IP in Western Sydney briefly, and from my desktop research (I'm from Melbourne and don't know the suburbs well at all, so don't take my word for it), I'd maybe look at Quakers Hill? I'm not sure what you define as affordable, but that suburb caught my attention. Like I said, that is purely internet research, but I'm sure someone more familiar with the area will be able to guide you more.

Hi TMH

Depends entirely on your budget and type of property. Provide me with more info and I can definitely help you. Hills and Northern suburbs cover a wide area. Castle Hill to Windsor is approx 30km and a half hr drive.

Hi TMH,
Having known Jacque for years , your best bet would be to talk to her about areas and use her services as a BA. She lived in Baulkham Hills for years (right next door to Castle Hill) and lives in another suburb in the Hills area now - and knows the whole area intimately.
It does dpend on your budget - you could be paying (for an average 4 bedder) 750k in Castle Hill , 650k in Kellyville or Rouse Hill - and then around 450k for Mcgraths Hill (which is closer to Windsor than Castle Hill).

Hi TMH,
Having known Jacque for years , your best bet would be to talk to her about areas and use her services as a BA. She lived in Baulkham Hills for years (right next door to Castle Hill) and lives in another suburb in the Hills area now - and knows the whole area intimately.
It does dpend on your budget - you could be paying (for an average 4 bedder) 750k in Castle Hill , 650k in Kellyville or Rouse Hill - and then around 450k for Mcgraths Hill (which is closer to Windsor than Castle Hill).

And if your budget is much lower than that, mid $200's will get a nice ex-housing department home in the Mt Druitt suburbs, or for an upmarket area in a similar location look for mid $300's.

TMH, Depends also on your future wishes. Castle Hill and closer to there is expensive relatively. (closer to Sydney - sought after area) You have the whole of Rouse Hill and Kellyville in between. They are building out an area the size of Canberra between Castle Hill and Windsor. All new suburbs, big houses and small blocks. Cheaper as you head out of Castle Hill. On the Windsor end you are looking for a big drop in price, if you travel rather than the friend. Suburbs Mcgraths Hill on one side of Windsor with travel direct on Windsor Road to Castle Hill less than 20mins non peak hour, 30 mins peak. On the other side of Windsor you have Bligh Park a much less expensive option (excluding a few high priced houses) 5 mins from Windsor, 35 -40 min to Castle Hill. (full peak) Direct route to Sydney due to the M4, M2 and M7 (all toll roads.) I would avoid buying in South Windsor: thats my opinion. From Quakers Hill outwards are psuedo country areas, surrounded by flood plains so lots of national park areas and open fields. Quakers Hill - in the middle nice houses too. If you want more info PM me. I know the areas well.

Skater

I thought I might have seen you at the Mt Druitt auction on Thursday, I didn't pick you if you were there. Some real bargains there esp if you were an owner buyer $150 000. (and looked like a good house too. And no bids on another owner buyer property.

Skater

I thought I might have seen you at the Mt Druitt auction on Thursday, I didn't pick you if you were there. Some real bargains there esp if you were an owner buyer $150 000. (and looked like a good house too. And no bids on another owner buyer property.

Nope, I wasn't there. I had tickets to Cats on that night. I'm not interested in the owner occupier homes, although we were looking at one for my daughter a year ago. I haven't seen any of them go for as low as $150k recently unless they have issues, and some do have big issues. Most of the owner occupier stuff gets passed in. Auctions are not the place that FHO look for in this area and anytime I run into someone looking for their first place (so long as they are wanting to live there long term) I suggest they have a look there as the prices are a real boost to someone starting out.

Besides the owner occupier stuff, what do you call real bargains? Do you recall what the Werrington townhouses went for? They were quite nice.

Hi TMH,

Also depends on your chosen mode of transport. If you are travelling by train Blacktown has express trains which take 40-50min to Wynyard. So Blacktown, Maryong, Quakers Hills or Seven Hills might suit. Houses around $400-$450k.

Regards

Andrew

Skater,

The Werrington Units went very differently. I didnt see any difference between them on the night (location of one might have been a lot better) the first unit No 5 went for $218000.
three bidders but a good price for the unit - no work req - about $300 rent. The second was more competitive, three or four bidders but went for $234 500. I reckon that made the first buyer grin!

I hadn't researched the properties and was just 'looking'.

Luxford Road, Lethbridge Park went for $160 000 Pelsart Ave Willmot for $170 500 The rest all close to the $220 000.

There were at least 70 people there and at least 12 serious bidders. One young man bought two properties.

It was fun, and sometimes a little boring - dragging it out to the third call constantly for the next 500. One house seemed to take forever!!!!

Luxford Road, Lethbridge Park went for $160 000 Pelsart Ave Willmot for $170 500 The rest all close to the $220 000.

Were these ones sold at that price or passed in? Was there problems with them? Fire damaged, vandalised or termites?

Quite a low price if there were no problems with them.

Skater,

The Werrington Units went very differently. I didnt see any difference between them on the night (location of one might have been a lot better) the first unit No 5 went for $218000.
three bidders but a good price for the unit - no work req - about $300 rent. The second was more competitive, three or four bidders but went for $234 500. I reckon that made the first buyer grin!

I'd say they thought that wasn't cheap so they'd wait for the next one. haha. 2 sold end 09 for $197K

I hadn't researched the properties and was just 'looking'.

There were at least 70 people there and at least 12 serious bidders. One young man bought two properties.

It was fun, and sometimes a little boring - dragging it out to the third call constantly for the next 500. One house seemed to take forever!!!!

I didn't realise any were OO. What did the Neriba cr and Mawson Rd tregear one go for if you don't mind? They weren't OO were they?

I thought you'd be there Skater. I didn't go as I knew 4 people looking at the Townhouses. $218K wasn't bad. I was thinking they'd go for around $220-230.

Travel bug,

Mawson St $207 000 (not OO), Neriba $218 000 (not OO) Of the sales three were OO - two were passed in. 2 were vandalised (unoccupied) and two fire damaged but didn't look much confined to one area of one room, by the photos anyway, as I said I didnt research them first. Spirited bidding pushed the price up a bit.

I thought you'd be there Skater. I didn't go as I knew 4 people looking at the Townhouses. $218K wasn't bad. I was thinking they'd go for around $220-230.

Haha, no! Although I do like to go & have a look from time to time, I prefer little to no competition. :D We were looking elsewhere this weekend.:D

Back